Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Antiboyscout »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:45 pm Okay, so update, the police chief resigned, and Atlanta is immediately firing the officer: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/atlanta-protests-live-updates-from-response-rayshard-brooks-shooting/3a2YSQAMCN1pf62nQa2K2O/?ecmp=norfu&utm_medium=social&utm_source=norfu_fb

Not that "a firing" is a good response to shooting someone in the back, but it does show some accountability.

Instagram video (STRONG WARNING): https://www.instagram.com/p/CBXwm-mgh9y/?igshid=1u02dj7svn2jx

The video clearly shows they were shooting near children as well.

This is exactly why escalation tactics are dangerous. On top of murdering a man, they might have killed children as well. It's funny, when I took gun safety classes, they were very clear that you never escalate non-lethal situations into lethal ones. You shoot only when your life is under serious threat, and there are no other options.

Either the police haven't taken basic gun safety classes any citizen who owns a gun should, or they are willfully ignoring them.
Being threatened with a tazer is a life threatening situation. If you are on the ground unable to move, you are f*cked.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 pm
GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:45 pm Okay, so update, the police chief resigned, and Atlanta is immediately firing the officer: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-education/atlanta-protests-live-updates-from-response-rayshard-brooks-shooting/3a2YSQAMCN1pf62nQa2K2O/?ecmp=norfu&utm_medium=social&utm_source=norfu_fb

Not that "a firing" is a good response to shooting someone in the back, but it does show some accountability.

Instagram video (STRONG WARNING): https://www.instagram.com/p/CBXwm-mgh9y/?igshid=1u02dj7svn2jx

This is exactly why escalation tactics are dangerous. On top of murdering a man, they might have killed children as well. It's funny, when I took gun safety classes, they were very clear that you never escalate non-lethal situations into lethal ones. You shoot only when your life is under serious threat, and there are no other options.

Either the police haven't taken basic gun safety classes any citizen who owns a gun should, or they are willfully ignoring them.
Being threatened with a tazer is a life threatening situation. If you are on the ground unable to move, you are f*cked.
Yes, yes, that's what we saw on the video. The officer being fucked.

I'm amazed at the ability of white supremacists to clearly lie to our faces when there's actual video evidence contradicting that. Not only had the Taser already been discharged - they're one shot, until you go through an annoying reloading process - not only was the suspect fifty yards from the cops and running, but the cop also had a partner with him.

But white supremacists will tell you he was in "so much danger" that the only thing he could do was to shoot him and endanger children. Despite clear video evidence showing otherwise.

It really is impressive how much the rhetoric is "don't believe your lying eyes!"
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 pm
Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 pm

Yes, yes, that's what we saw on the video. The officer being fucked.

I'm amazed at the ability of white supremacists to clearly lie to our faces when there's actual video evidence contradicting that. Not only had the Taser already been discharged - they're one shot, until you go through an annoying reloading process - not only was the suspect fifty yards from the cops and running, but the cop also had a partner with him.

But white supremacists will tell you he was in "so much danger" that the only thing he could do was to shoot him and endanger children. Despite clear video evidence showing otherwise.

It really is impressive how much the rhetoric is "don't believe your lying eyes!"
You want to link the video then?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

I always did have the impression you weren't reading shit. Ah well.

As I said, happy to chat with the adults.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Some people can resist tazers.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:49 pm Some people can resist tazers.
Sure, but you can see in the video he was 50 yards away from the cop and running. He was no threat at all.

If someone is running away from you, don't shoot them. It's a pretty basic principle.

This is what I mean. There's no way that any gun owner could think that was a good shot. More training is not the answer, because they're neglecting the training they already have. The answer has to be more fundamental.

Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:49 pm Some people can resist tazers.
Sure, but you can see in the video he was 50 yards away from the cop and running. He was no threat at all.

If someone is running away from you, don't shoot them. It's a pretty basic principle.

This is what I mean. There's no way that any gun owner could think that was a good shot. More training is not the answer, because they're neglecting the training they already have. The answer has to be more fundamental.
The video you posted did not refute the statement that the suspect turned to face the officers with the tazer. It does refute Your statement that the tazer was already discharged. One of the officers fired a tazer in the video, after the first tazer was stolen from the other officer.

"near kids" to you means kids in a car behind the officer when they start firing?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:41 pm You know, if you asked me last year whether or not the Liberal Crime Squad was actually making or referring to a political statement labeling all cops as Conservative, I would have said it was basically an engine limitation.
I'd argue it's only a slight exaggeration as over 90% of cops are republican.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Ricochets are funny things, as you'd know if you were educated in basic gun safety. Bullets, once fired, end up somewhere. Now, simple, black and white question: do you believe the officer's life was in danger from a man who was 50 yards from him and running away? And if so, why?

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm As I'd said, there's over a thousand new things every day to get outraged about if you go looking for it.
Yes, there are. Somehow you zero on on the three or four of them that involve people a "PC mob" being mean to a pro-cop guy on twitter.
Let me ask this. Even if you get police reform, what then? Even if you begin working on issues with the electorate and voting process, what then? Even if you get immigrant reform, what then? I think most underestimate how fragile it all is. Life, the machine we've built, and what it is, and where we're going. And if it's not some new issue now, it will be in a hundred, a thousand years.
When anyone suggests actual change, or points out racism, or complains about violence from the right, that's when you drag out the nihilistic zen. Yet you only seem to get outraged about white supremacy or neo nazis or state oppression when you're also complaining about leftist "extreme" behavior. When a PC mob says mean things to a guy that compel him to stop defending his cop friend online, then you care about what happens here and now, even if it won't matter a thousand years from now. Then you remember how to be outraged. Then you suddenly have a dog in this fight and care about politics.

Suggest that cops shouldn't be shooting rubber-coated bullets made of real medal and a toxic gas designed to inflict maximum pain and leave people wheezing and puking during a respiratory virus epidemic, and you become as serene and neutral as you please again.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville