Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by GreyICE »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 pm
GreyICE wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:29 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:08 am Yeah I was kinda wondering why you two were at odds with each other honestly.

Kami might be operating with a modicum more good faith than the guy who is arguing the Reichsadler might not be a white supremacist symbol? At least I'd hope so.

In truth I don't think I agree with Kami about much, but he doesn't seem to be actively fishing for any reason to kill black people and excuse obvious white supremacy quite as much as ABS.
You're an absolute spanner.

Well hey, I have been accused of being an optimist and giving people too much credit.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Post by TexasRed »

Alright first of all everyone chill the hell out, step back and take a breath. Secondly I need all of you to take a look at posts you've made and remove any hate images i.e. Nazi emblems and any thing that contains swastikas. The reason is that google adsense has issues with it, and Chuck uses that to help pay the bills so from now on those are off limits and frankly I won't personally miss them.

ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:26 pm An illustration of why "Defund the police" is trending

LA's :https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1270508229970329603
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Don’t even engage debate over whether a victim of police brutality was ever guilty of crime. That is utterly not the point. If an actual serial killer is beaten up, tortured, starved, killed by cops while already surrendering, complying or in custody then that should still be a fucking outrage. You’re gonna look the other way while they maim or kill someone without a trial, even knowing how many sheer mistaken identity cases happen?! Holy fuck stop falling for this line of thinking.
-Bogleech
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm Poor GreyICE. His brain is broken. I can hear the grinding of the hamster wheel from here.

Some cops are good people. Some cops are bad people.

If I gave a list of nasty things done by black people, nobody in their (IMHO) right mind would think that justifies "Blacks aren't good people." GreyICE is the type to think in such directions, he's just pointed at different targets.

Poor GreyICE.
You realize that ACAB is fundamentally a statement about systemic corruption and that even cops who do not partake in acts of corruption or brutality themselves are complicit in the actions of those who do because either through indifference or fear of reprisal. As a rule good cops don't last because the are either drummed out of the service or murdered.
That's more nuanced than GreyICE's "here's bad things cops did so all cops are bad" drivel, but we've seen good cops. I mean, good cops don't last forever, because people don't, I've seen nothing clearly showing that all, or even most, of the cops that retire are corrupt or brutal, as you are suggesting.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ACAB does sound more like you're talking about all cops in general though.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Also I thought what Jon Stewart said made pretty good sense.
..What mirror universe?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:38 pm ACAB does sound more like you're talking about all cops in general though.
That ignores the point. If 1 bad cop kills a man by stepping on his neck, and 3 stand by and watch, all four are bad. If 1 bad cop shoots a man in the back, and a police union representing that cop gets him reinstated without dissent, every cop that sat idly by and allowed that to happen rather than demanding better from their union is complicit. If one good cop tries to report corruption and malfeasance and the entire department organizes to punish and exclude that cop until they're driven out of the force, every cop still there is, professionally, a bastard.

And you dig further and further down and realize... this is the nature of policing. It's always been like this and is designed to be like this. All Cops Are Bastards because the entire system is designed to reward bastards and those who let bastards get on with their bastard business, and punish everyone who dares interfere with that system.

And really, find some retired cops. Get them talking about their day to day. Betcha you get an awful lot of stories of how to lie to a judge to make a ticket stick, or pulling someone over to meet a quota, or a real ripper of a story about terrorizing homeless folk so the street cleaners could come through.
We could be sympathetic perhaps. Some of this shit is cops put in a no win scenario. If some semi-homeless person keeps going into McDonalds to harass the employees and they keep calling the police, because that's what they're supposed to do... what the fuck are cops supposed to do exactly? Arrest them? They're just loitering. Haul them off to the hospital? You can't force someone to be examined and go through a drug regimen.

That's one beauty of Defunding the Police as a first line of action: if we're shrinking a police force, the first thing we do is relieve them these duties they can't perform, and shuffle resources to groups who have specialized training and, perhaps, can.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Regarding the ACAB thing, here are the words of a former cop describing his experience: https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm Poor GreyICE. His brain is broken. I can hear the grinding of the hamster wheel from here.

Some cops are good people. Some cops are bad people.

If I gave a list of nasty things done by black people, nobody in their (IMHO) right mind would think that justifies "Blacks aren't good people." GreyICE is the type to think in such directions, he's just pointed at different targets.

Poor GreyICE.
You realize that ACAB is fundamentally a statement about systemic corruption and that even cops who do not partake in acts of corruption or brutality themselves are complicit in the actions of those who do because either through indifference or fear of reprisal. As a rule good cops don't last because the are either drummed out of the service or murdered.
That's more nuanced than GreyICE's "here's bad things cops did so all cops are bad" drivel, but we've seen good cops. I mean, good cops don't last forever, because people don't, I've seen nothing clearly showing that all, or even most, of the cops that retire are corrupt or brutal, as you are suggesting.
I'm saying that one cannot be a good cop while turning a blind eye to bad cops. If one is a police officer and not actively fighting the systemic corruption within the department they are fundamentally complicit in it. Were good cops even remotely common we wouldn't have the protests we have now because George Floyd's murderers would have been arrested the same day.