Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Y'all hear about the Shake Shack malarky?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:04 am Y'all hear about the Shake Shack malarky?
Yeah never eating there again.
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm Poor GreyICE. His brain is broken. I can hear the grinding of the hamster wheel from here.

Some cops are good people. Some cops are bad people.

If I gave a list of nasty things done by black people, nobody in their (IMHO) right mind would think that justifies "Blacks aren't good people." GreyICE is the type to think in such directions, he's just pointed at different targets.

Poor GreyICE.
You realize that ACAB is fundamentally a statement about systemic corruption and that even cops who do not partake in acts of corruption or brutality themselves are complicit in the actions of those who do because either through indifference or fear of reprisal. As a rule good cops don't last because the are either drummed out of the service or murdered.
That's more nuanced than GreyICE's "here's bad things cops did so all cops are bad" drivel, but we've seen good cops. I mean, good cops don't last forever, because people don't, I've seen nothing clearly showing that all, or even most, of the cops that retire are corrupt or brutal, as you are suggesting.
I'm saying that one cannot be a good cop while turning a blind eye to bad cops. If one is a police officer and not actively fighting the systemic corruption within the department they are fundamentally complicit in it. Were good cops even remotely common we wouldn't have the protests we have now because George Floyd's murderers would have been arrested the same day.
What if one doesn't see corruption or brutality first-hand? There's usually a specialized department for that.

If one is a teacher and not fighting incompetent teachers, is one a bad teacher?
Well for one we have seen over the last few weeks that most cops respond to seeing brutality first hand by either passively letting or actively joining in. I actually think the old man assaulted in Buffalo really highlights it because we can see a man give up on being a good cop because he's pressured by others.

That's not really comparable as dealing with adult incompetence isn't a teacher's job, dealing with criminals is a cop's job.
For the first one, there's a possible selection bias. The videos that show cops misbehaving could well get more coverage than those that don't.

For the second... that's a good point, and I'll concede that I was a bit stupid there. Though I think teachers' unions do their best for the teachers, etc., rather than for the students, and could be criticized much as police unions are. For that matter, pretty much every union is supposed to be biased in favor of the people the union represents, are they not?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Is "he pointed a gun at me" a way to "look scary"? I guess it is. I don't know how many people would consider shooting that person to be murder, however.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Why not, bridge?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

n-n-out 4 life
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

So the peaceful protests haven't died down one bit. Tens of thousands out marching. Media coverage? That's died down quite a lot.

Think of all the cities where reforms didn't happen, and where there was no violence, no looting, but peaceful protests. And ask if media coverage dies down, if everyone forgets, and if nothing is done, is next time going to be yet another peaceful protest? Because we've been having decades of peaceful protests for this shit, and Ferguson and Minneapolis were the first two that sparked some real, actual changes in places. Were they the ideal cases for riots to break out and cities to catch fire? No. There is no ideal case for that. But you shove things down, make no changes, and guess what happens next time?

If you didn't fight for change now, if you let things slide with "maybe police will do better", they're not going to change. And eventually it will boil over again. And a lot of people are going to hear cries for "just protest peacefully, that'll get you justice" and they're going to know it for the lie that it is.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm So the peaceful protests haven't died down one bit. Tens of thousands out marching. Media coverage? That's died down quite a lot.

Think of all the cities where reforms didn't happen, and where there was no violence, no looting, but peaceful protests. And ask if media coverage dies down, if everyone forgets, and if nothing is done, is next time going to be yet another peaceful protest? Because we've been having decades of peaceful protests for this shit, and Ferguson and Minneapolis were the first two that sparked some real, actual changes in places. Were they the ideal cases for riots to break out and cities to catch fire? No. There is no ideal case for that. But you shove things down, make no changes, and guess what happens next time?

If you didn't fight for change now, if you let things slide with "maybe police will do better", they're not going to change. And eventually it will boil over again. And a lot of people are going to hear cries for "just protest peacefully, that'll get you justice" and they're going to know it for the lie that it is.
Know what's just as much a tragedy as police outreach? Mass shootings. Whether it's a lone wolf or domestic terrorist, whatever you wanna call it. I think after Newtown, you can give up ever expecting any meaningful change. We're scared, we're angry, we're suspicious, and after 9/11, we don't wanna be caught with our pants down again. And the media's sensationalist news reporting here means it's all too easy for an angry, depressed person with no reason to live who seeks a legacy to go on a rampage and get their 15 minutes of fame.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Yeah, the media are switching back to corona cuz they realize the optics of the "peaceful protests" wasn't working cuz they involved way too much arson.

I think it was the clip of a reporter standing in front of a burning building attempting to say the protests were "mostly peaceful" is when they realized it wasn't working.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm So the peaceful protests haven't died down one bit. Tens of thousands out marching. Media coverage? That's died down quite a lot.

Reflecting on this, George Floyd's case was understandable because considering optics and everything, the abuse just kinda rang. But I don't feel like it's some further deprivation of police standards or anything, everybody knows that this is a tragically common occurrence, and did before.

I don't think you should expect another wave so much as how reforms are put into motion on a political level as more social organizations are putting this into national coordination. Interesting enough I'm not familiar with the Trump administration's attention towards police brutality as an issue. Sure enough he's pissing on the flames, but you'd think the executive branch might have a word on this or something. Then again, the more things change the more they stay the same, so it's not so much a wave that I wouldn't expect.
..What mirror universe?