Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Antiboyscout »

The other problem is, the situation in Atlanta is completely backfiring.
It was absolutely justified but it didn't stop BLM and Antifa from burning down a wendy's or the mayor from throwing that officer to the wolves.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:41 pmReflecting on this, George Floyd's case was understandable because considering optics and everything, the abuse just kinda rang. But I don't feel like it's some further deprivation of police standards or anything, everybody knows that this is a tragically common occurrence, and did before.

I don't think you should expect another wave so much as how reforms are put into motion on a political level as more social organizations are putting this into national coordination. Interesting enough I'm not familiar with the Trump administration's attention towards police brutality as an issue. Sure enough he's pissing on the flames, but you'd think the executive branch might have a word on this or something. Then again, the more things change the more they stay the same, so it's not so much a wave that I wouldn't expect.
Of course George Floyd wasn't unusual. An unusual incident doesn't spark nationwide protest, it sparks nationwide shock. The LAPD banned choke holds back in the 90s after a wave of deaths. That did slow things down. Not much.

Manuel Ellis, 2019: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/manuel-ellis-tacoma-police-homicide.html "I can't breath" medical examiner put the cause of death as "partially due to police restraint technique."

Christopher Lowe, 2018. Officers got their jobs back: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article240440956.html

Derrick Scott, 2019, restrained face down for 13 minutes: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/i-can-t-breathe-oklahoma-man-tells-police-dying-i-n1229586

Byron Williams, 2019:https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/when-byron-williams-died-saying-i-can-t-breathe-few-n1231342

And so on and so forth. Police killing people is quite common, police violating people civil liberties is quite common, police planting evidence is quite common. And every time it's one more straw.
Sure enough he's pissing on the flames, but you'd think the executive branch might have a word on this or something.
Trump is kerosene on a fire, but he didn't start this, and Biden winning won't end it. No executive can go clean house on the police departments. The executive can have some roll in reversing the systemic destruction of resources - the shutdown of publically funded mental hospitals, the endless (and pointless) war on drugs, the lack of resources for anything besides police and prisons. But it won't fix the departments, that has to be done city by city, jurisdiction by jurisdiction.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:00 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm So the peaceful protests haven't died down one bit. Tens of thousands out marching. Media coverage? That's died down quite a lot.

Think of all the cities where reforms didn't happen, and where there was no violence, no looting, but peaceful protests. And ask if media coverage dies down, if everyone forgets, and if nothing is done, is next time going to be yet another peaceful protest? Because we've been having decades of peaceful protests for this shit, and Ferguson and Minneapolis were the first two that sparked some real, actual changes in places. Were they the ideal cases for riots to break out and cities to catch fire? No. There is no ideal case for that. But you shove things down, make no changes, and guess what happens next time?

If you didn't fight for change now, if you let things slide with "maybe police will do better", they're not going to change. And eventually it will boil over again. And a lot of people are going to hear cries for "just protest peacefully, that'll get you justice" and they're going to know it for the lie that it is.
Know what's just as much a tragedy as police outreach? Mass shootings. Whether it's a lone wolf or domestic terrorist, whatever you wanna call it. I think after Newtown, you can give up ever expecting any meaningful change. We're scared, we're angry, we're suspicious, and after 9/11, we don't wanna be caught with our pants down again. And the media's sensationalist news reporting here means it's all too easy for an angry, depressed person with no reason to live who seeks a legacy to go on a rampage and get their 15 minutes of fame.
What does this have to do with police brutality?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:40 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm So the peaceful protests haven't died down one bit. Tens of thousands out marching. Media coverage? That's died down quite a lot.

Think of all the cities where reforms didn't happen, and where there was no violence, no looting, but peaceful protests. And ask if media coverage dies down, if everyone forgets, and if nothing is done, is next time going to be yet another peaceful protest? Because we've been having decades of peaceful protests for this shit, and Ferguson and Minneapolis were the first two that sparked some real, actual changes in places. Were they the ideal cases for riots to break out and cities to catch fire? No. There is no ideal case for that. But you shove things down, make no changes, and guess what happens next time?

If you didn't fight for change now, if you let things slide with "maybe police will do better", they're not going to change. And eventually it will boil over again. And a lot of people are going to hear cries for "just protest peacefully, that'll get you justice" and they're going to know it for the lie that it is.
Know what's just as much a tragedy as police outreach? Mass shootings. Whether it's a lone wolf or domestic terrorist, whatever you wanna call it. I think after Newtown, you can give up ever expecting any meaningful change. We're scared, we're angry, we're suspicious, and after 9/11, we don't wanna be caught with our pants down again. And the media's sensationalist news reporting here means it's all too easy for an angry, depressed person with no reason to live who seeks a legacy to go on a rampage and get their 15 minutes of fame.
People dying.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

https://twitter.com/UNGeneva/status/1274007783864627201
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Police outreach is a big social issue right now. And that many of these first-responders after a mass shooting are needed, for a whole host of purposes. Naturally, since the media has declared war on cops now with the ongoing fever-pitch to push us into more tribalistic viewpoints, it's only going to get worse with time.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:26 am Police outreach is a big social issue right now. And that many of these first-responders after a mass shooting are needed, for a whole host of purposes. Naturally, since the media has declared war on cops now with the ongoing fever-pitch to push us into more tribalistic viewpoints, it's only going to get worse with time.
How do you feel about the idea, that as far as attention to socially caused issues, the power dynamic between police and its citizens takes preceding concern to decidedly more entropic conditions concerning EXTREMELY irrational acting individuals.

Actually, not as if BOTH these subjects take exclusive attention from the media across seasons. I mean if you think about it, we've gone from issues of black justice to mass shootings and back again like 10 times.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:26 amPolice outreach is a big social issue right now. And that many of these first-responders after a mass shooting are needed, for a whole host of purposes. Naturally, since the media has declared war on cops now with the ongoing fever-pitch to push us into more tribalistic viewpoints, it's only going to get worse with time.
This level of bootlicking is pathetic. The cops have pushed us into a war with the cops. Fucking admit they have responsibility for their own actions. We have Youtube, we have instagram, we have social media, we have phones. Cops are getting recorded and uploaded in realtime, and what people are seeing is that the cops, everywhere, are giant pieces of shit. And boy it's not making them happy.

And you blame the media. How lacking in critical thinking can you be? Like the media is some magical mind control device on Star Trek.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I think it is the media, plain and simple. Cable news. And it always has been. I don't watch the cable news. I get all my news source from friends and a limited window of social media. Look at this logically. They exaggerate negative news, and it's been on that trend since the '70s. Plane crashes almost always make the news, yet the far more common car crashes that result in a higher number of fatalities rarely do. Tornadoes kill 50 Americans a year, yet the statistically higher rated deaths from asthma likewise rarely make the news.

I wish this didn't happen. I think we could do better as a society. It's a very biased perspective which distorts how their viewers think and ironically, it also leads them to believe incremental change does no good long-term and it's those bad business practices which put a leader like Mr. 45 in power, who openly rails on all the media as well as the traditionally conservative Fox News, despite appearing on there the most. Yes, riots, police criminals, it's all out there. It's still only a tiny percentage of the population. We need to think why sixty-million people chose the leader we have now. That media distrust would be one of the driving factors. The late-stage of the decline of the empire and nihilistic thinking perpetuated by the news cycles.

But let's be honest, as human beings, we tend to get too suspicious if it looks things are going all right, and a Russian newspaper ran a social experiment on this topic. Putting a positive spin on events resulted in widespread loss of subscribers. So, as long as we're stuck in a jungle mindset where we are too afraid to be happy, that's what we're going to get. Garbage in, garbage out.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm I think it is the media, plain and simple. Cable news. And it always has been. I don't watch the cable news. I get all my news source from friends and a limited window of social media.
Of course.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville