Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Does anyone else think that that interview in Episode 1 is kinda dumb?

Mainly just the comparison of saving enemy Romulans as building the pyramids. Like what?
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 pm Does anyone else think that that interview in Episode 1 is kinda dumb?

Mainly just the comparison of saving enemy Romulans as building the pyramids. Like what?
Yeah, even Picard pointed out that her comparison was completely off, and as he points out she doesn't even know what Dunkirk was, so yeah, she wasn't wowing me with her journalism.

I do like that scene myself as it gets new people introduced to Picard's character in a natural way, and allows long time fans to get reintroduced back to him, and I do like that Picard isn't some jaded old man who's bitter at the world, while he did loose faith in Starfleet it wasn't because he changed his own morals, instead Starfleet itself didn't hold to its own moral slandered that Picard dedicated his life to.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Link8909 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:50 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 pm Does anyone else think that that interview in Episode 1 is kinda dumb?

Yeah, even Picard pointed out that her comparison was completely off, and as he points out she doesn't even know what Dunkirk was, so yeah, she wasn't wowing me with her journalism.

I do like that scene myself as it gets new people introduced to Picard's character in a natural way, and allows long time fans to get reintroduced back to him, and I do like that Picard isn't some jaded old man who's bitter at the world, while he did loose faith in Starfleet it wasn't because he changed his own morals, instead Starfleet itself didn't hold to its own moral slandered that Picard dedicated his life to.
Really though I didn't find the interview that believable.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm Really though I didn't find the interview that believable.
I get what you mean, she was out of line asking Picard about his reasons on leaving Starfleet when the interview was suppose to be about the supernova even when she was told not to bring it up, Picard wouldn't have to deal with this if Jake Sisko did the interview.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Link8909 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:24 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm Really though I didn't find the interview that believable.
I get what you mean, she was out of line asking Picard about his reasons on leaving Starfleet when the interview was suppose to be about the supernova even when she was told not to bring it up, Picard wouldn't have to deal with this if Jake Sisko did the interview.
To tell you the truth, that's kind of what I might expect from journalists. At least that kind of sniffing around is pretty familiar in shows. I just think it's weird that they perceived the rescue venture as a vanity project. Exploiting the attention of the public I guess or something.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:30 pm
To tell you the truth, that's kind of what I might expect from journalists. At least that kind of sniffing around is pretty familiar in shows. I just think it's weird that they perceived the rescue venture as a vanity project. Exploiting the attention of the public I guess or something.
I don't think it was meant to be taken that way, it's not that the reporter thought that the Romulan evacuation was a vanity project, she was using the building of the Pyramids as a comparison to Picard's evacuation plan, since both where enormous undertakings, however as Picard points out that isn't a proper comparison as the Pyramids where built on vanity, and his reference to Dunkirk (an evacuation of soldiers during a battle in World War II) was a better comparison.

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Link8909 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:30 pm
I don't think it was meant to be taken that way, it's not that the reporter thought that the Romulan evacuation was a vanity project, she was using the building of the Pyramids as a comparison to Picard's evacuation plan, since both where enormous undertakings, however as Picard points out that isn't a proper comparison as the Pyramids where built on vanity, and his reference to Dunkirk (an evacuation of soldiers during a battle in World War II) was a better comparison.
Well that's a pretty decent recital and I'll think about it, but idunno bout this one.
..What mirror universe?
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am None of you saw her with Chakotay? You know, stay at home mom.
None of us. Computing Forever whinged that 7of9/ Raffi romance came out of left field. I replied that is an improvement over 7of9/ Chakotay which came out of nowhere.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Didn't any of you ever consider what 7 might have wanted?
..What mirror universe?
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am Didn't any of you ever consider what 7 might have wanted?
No, because they never showed 7 wanting a lover. They showed us Tom and Belanna wanting each other; they showed us O'Brian and Keiko wanting each other; they showed us Picard and Lwaxanna wanting each other. If they had shewn 7 wanting someone, then I would be emotionally invested in whether the other person wanted her back.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.