Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and I know the problem is the system and not the individuals within it but I just feel as though that really isn't a significant enough difference without essentially telling anyone who has a loved one as a police officer, that they must disown that loved one.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 pm and I know the problem is the system and not the individuals within it but I just feel as though that really isn't a significant enough difference without essentially telling anyone who has a loved one as a police officer, that they must disown that loved one.
It is always the system. And it's a two-edged sword. On the one hand, you give up ever trying to make meaningful change. On the other, however, you could get so fed up that you put someone like Mr. 45 in charge, an unqualified buffoon who's only skated by due to more competent people around him. I mean, I know some will probably make the case they're all toadies and the like, but compared to said buffoon, that IS an improvement.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 pm and I know the problem is the system and not the individuals within it but I just feel as though that really isn't a significant enough difference without essentially telling anyone who has a loved one as a police officer, that they must disown that loved one.
It is always the system. And it's a two-edged sword. On the one hand, you give up ever trying to make meaningful change. On the other, however, you could get so fed up that you put someone like Mr. 45 in charge, an unqualified buffoon who's only skated by due to more competent people around him. I mean, I know some will probably make the case they're all toadies and the like, but compared to said buffoon, that IS an improvement.
what's that have to do with me not wanting to offend family members of police?

also, I take it back a little, how do you separate the individual from the system they are a part of? to me, that seems impossible.

and I saw a video by a black man saying it's not really about race but about rich vs poor and republican vs democrat and mentions that he had NEVER encountered racism himself in his life.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Guys, guys, must we fight?
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Crimson, why should anyone even bother trying to debate with you in good faith? Either you ignore all the evidence presented you to say "Well I think it's just the Mainstream Media being crooked!" or you throw out both-sides-are-bad non sequitur comments to remind us how balanced you are. What is the point of even talking to you?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:31 pm Crimson, why should anyone even bother trying to debate with you in good faith? Either you ignore all the evidence presented you to say "Well I think it's just the Mainstream Media being crooked!" or you throw out both-sides-are-bad non sequitur comments to remind us how balanced you are. What is the point of even talking to you?
There is the fundamentals we agree on. I think George Floyd's murder was an outrage, as was the recent ruling. I also admit to the ways black communities are disadvantaged. I also think the whole system needs serious reform, that is likely never going to happen, but you can still hope for it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

This I find a creative form of protesting and countering police-blockades, presuming that personal info is off-limits of course:

https://twitter.com/tylerlariviere/status/1275615330442842112
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:20 pm This I find a creative form of protesting and countering police-blockades, presuming that personal info is off-limits of course:

https://twitter.com/tylerlariviere/status/1275615330442842112
Damn, not bad.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

even tough some people claim it's not about individuals and just about systems, why use such language as "white privilege" or "All Cops are Bastards"?

and about white privilege, people who use that again, do not take into account how technically white ethnic groups have historically had the same problems as non whites.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Because "Privilege" means "private law". It doesn't mean things are perfect, or that you are exempt from all problems, it means that there is, functionally, a separate and different set of rules for white people. I think "All" is supposed to imply the whole institutional thing.

I'm descended from the Welsh, the Irish, and French Canadians. I know a thing or two about white ethnic groups and none of us have ever gotten the degree of brutality unleashed on black people, all of them have eventually been let into the White People club (at least here in the USA, it's a different story in the UK), and none of them make the suffering of non-white ethnic populations any less.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville