Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Privilege: a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

In Lincoln County, Oregon, only white people will be required to wear masks.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50 am Because "Privilege" means "private law". It doesn't mean things are perfect, or that you are exempt from all problems, it means that there is, functionally, a separate and different set of rules for white people. I think "All" is supposed to imply the whole institutional thing.

I'm descended from the Welsh, the Irish, and French Canadians. I know a thing or two about white ethnic groups and none of us have ever gotten the degree of brutality unleashed on black people, all of them have eventually been let into the White People club (at least here in the USA, it's a different story in the UK), and none of them make the suffering of non-white ethnic populations any less.
weren't Irish people beaten by the police? also according to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the United Nations, indenchered servitude is pretty much the same as chattel slavery.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:34 am In Lincoln County, Oregon, only white people will be required to wear masks.
Source?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:38 amSource?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lincoln-county-oregon-exempts-people-of-color-mandatory-coronavirus-mask-policy/

The county is in an impossible position. If they don't exempt people of color, they risk getting the Twitter treatment the first time someone reports a non-compliant person of color to the police. The optics of exempting them probably aren't great either, but there are virtually no people of color in the county anyway, so better to err on the side of discretion.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50 am Because "Privilege" means "private law". It doesn't mean things are perfect, or that you are exempt from all problems, it means that there is, functionally, a separate and different set of rules for white people. I think "All" is supposed to imply the whole institutional thing.

I'm descended from the Welsh, the Irish, and French Canadians. I know a thing or two about white ethnic groups and none of us have ever gotten the degree of brutality unleashed on black people, all of them have eventually been let into the White People club (at least here in the USA, it's a different story in the UK), and none of them make the suffering of non-white ethnic populations any less.
Yes, all just means that everybody is a part of the organization, which isn't very descriptive imo but is neither here nor there.

A lot of black people haven't gotten the degree of brutality that we've seen unleashed.

What do you mean by being let into the white club. I've really never heard anything about white privilege being tangible to that degree that it denotes objectively positive treatment instead of relativistic.

I think you might have overrepresented wp as a form of law.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:46 am

weren't Irish people beaten by the police? also according to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the United Nations, indenchered servitude is pretty much the same as chattel slavery.
Irish persecution is largely temporal in comparison. It describes one point in time, on the east coast, in the 1800's. It's not really the same thing, as far as why white privilege is discussed so much.
..What mirror universe?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Well, yes and no. Irish persecution *by the English* is a real thing that went on for centuries and there are some STORIES. The Black and Tans for a relevant 20th century example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

But while the US definitely had its share of bigotry carryover and many fleeing the (manufactured!) famine fled into yet more persecution, it was never of the same kind, and within a couple generations a level of respectability was afforded them... somewhat depressingly often by becoming police officers and brutalizing black populations. But the period of intense discrimination was never as long or as pronounced, and that sort of assimilation into “whiteness” is really visible.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CmdrKing wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:05 pm Well, yes and no. Irish persecution *by the English* is a real thing that went on for centuries and there are some STORIES. The Black and Tans for a relevant 20th century example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans
Which leads to suggest that nationally encompassed prejudice for the Irish was more a residual of historic persecution, which can't really be said about the slave trade.
..What mirror universe?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I’d say a mix of that and generalized “TOO MANY IMMIGRANTS” sentiments inflaming those old bigotries, yeah.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

what about the fact lots of officials are not letting the rioting and looting continue because they're afraid to be called racist?

and where did this idea come from that only racists and people that benefit from the status quo have anything bad to say about the riots or BLM?

I don't see how police beating black people benefits me, a special needs middle class guy who went jobless longer then he should have and can't look for one because of the pandemic.