The flipside of Dominick Hide

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

The flipside of Dominick Hide

Post by drewder »

Question. How many generations back do you need to go before it's no longer incest?
https://sfdebris.com/videos/films/dominick1.php
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Re: The flipside of Dominick Hide

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

I remember reading this once: "They tell you write what you know ... so that's why there are so many novels about middle aged high-school English teachers who feel their life is not going anywhere and want to cheat on their wives with their students."

Got some wish fulfillment aspect out of the script aka the guy cheats on his wife with a hot blonde, but he doesn't get into trouble, he doesn't have to raise the baby and his wife totaly understands and their marriage is so much better.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

"Bad books on writing and thoughtless English professors solemnly tell beginners to Write What You Know, which explains why so many mediocre novels are about English professors contemplating adultery."
— Joe Haldeman
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

drewder wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 pm "Bad books on writing and thoughtless English professors solemnly tell beginners to Write What You Know, which explains why so many mediocre novels are about English professors contemplating adultery."
— Joe Haldeman
Thank you ! It's great to have the actual source.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Thank you Chuck, I love it. I always love your stuff, but I love this especially.

You know, Dominic might be a time travelling adulterer, but at least he is better than Gary Sparrow. I have a wonderful soft spot for this, problematic, pair of tv movies. This one moreso than the sequel. I love the aerial photography at the start, and the big introduction to Portobello Market scene [although not the casual racism, admittedly], it just looked great. I like that the characters are all complicated people. Even the slightly sinister Caleb, Dom's boss, is not as straightforward as he seems; and Dominic is a nice guy generally, but he also is capable of being a complete asshole too. And ya gotta love a show from 1980 that comes out for gay marriage and says it is okay to be gay even if it takes you to your forties to come out.

Still, you all know me: This show is bright, sincere, a bit cheesy, bit campy, and generally -albeit problematically- hopeful for the future even if things look a bit dodgy in the now. And I am always a sucker for that sort of thing. I mean, for me the best part of the rebooted BSG show, the best, most perfect, episode as far as I am concerned, is the much reviled finale episode.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:07 pm Thank you Chuck, I love it. I always love your stuff, but I love this especially.

You know, Dominic might be a time travelling adulterer, but at least he is better than Gary Sparrow. I have a wonderful soft spot for this, problematic, pair of tv movies. This one moreso than the sequel. I love the aerial photography at the start, and the big introduction to Portobello Market scene [although not the casual racism, admittedly], it just looked great. I like that the characters are all complicated people. Even the slightly sinister Caleb, Dom's boss, is not as straightforward as he seems; and Dominic is a nice guy generally, but he also is capable of being a complete asshole too. And ya gotta love a show from 1980 that comes out for gay marriage and says it is okay to be gay even if it takes you to your forties to come out.

Still, you all know me: This show is bright, sincere, a bit cheesy, bit campy, and generally -albeit problematically- hopeful for the future even if things look a bit dodgy in the now. And I am always a sucker for that sort of thing. I mean, for me the best part of the rebooted BSG show, the best, most perfect, episode as far as I am concerned, is the much reviled finale episode.
Goodnight Sweetheart is a classic. The sort of show that ultra PC modern BBC would never greenlight. And it needs to be remembered that Gary is meant to be an anti-hero at best.

And really, his 1990s wife (I forget her name) was a controlling bitch. I would choose strong yet feminine 1940s wife (I forget her name too) over her as well. It is a plothole that he didn't divorce her quicker and move to the 1940s, but hey, there would be no show if he did that.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

We also have Outlander, in which it's a woman transported centuries back and falls in love with a Scottish rebel while the villain of the piece is the ancestor of her 1940s husband.

Makes me wonder if there needs to be a time travel romance clause or something in marriage contracts.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Did like that casual gay hookup and the fact the "controlling" future arranged it did the biggest to undermine thoughts of "distopia"
bobbrom
Redshirt

Post by bobbrom »

You know, Dominic might be a time travelling adulterer, but at least he is better than Gary Sparrow.
Well, that's the good thing about time travelling adulters all their indiscretions are in the past.

Seriously though I used to love that show as a kid and was really annoyed they didn't bring it back after the 2016 special.

It'd be interesting to see what Chuck thought of it.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

I found it interesting the jobs of the future people, observing history. Not sightseeing like many stories but a 9 to 5 watching the past. And not even historical events only but seemingly mundane things. I wonder what is the purpose of like Dominick's job, observing transport systems in a London. I can't see much use out of doing so. Maybe an effort to observe and record all of history, even the forgotten details like bus routes?

Also a little horrifying that peoples jobs are to observe history but there is so much that can go wrong, erase entire groups of people by someone being careless.