Star Trek Discovery: The Trouble With Edward

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Discovery: The Trouble With Edward

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am I can't help but think that the people who bullied Trekkies for being Trekkies in the 80s and 90s are the ones who have ended up with a seat at the Star Trek table rather than the other way around. How else do we explain this character?
Mind you, the "bullied nerds in high school" thing has become a lot less sympathetic as it turned out a lot of the guys who did and then became rich tech experts turned out to be raging misogynists and bullies themselves.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:01 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am I can't help but think that the people who bullied Trekkies for being Trekkies in the 80s and 90s are the ones who have ended up with a seat at the Star Trek table rather than the other way around. How else do we explain this character?
Umm no it not, just because some other people became a holes doesn't mean they deserve to he pick on.
Mind you, the "bullied nerds in high school" thing has become a lot less sympathetic as it turned out a lot of the guys who did and then became rich tech experts turned out to be raging misogynists and bullies themselves.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm Umm no it not, just because some other people became a holes doesn't mean they deserve to he pick on.
I'm saying that if you do what was done to you then you've forfeited the moral high ground.

Don't be a Ferengi.

"We don't want to stop the exploitation, we want to become the exploitation!"
Thebestoftherest
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:54 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm Umm no it not, just because some other people became a holes doesn't mean they deserve to he pick on.
I'm saying that if you do what was done to you then you've forfeited the moral high ground.

Don't be a Ferengi.

"We don't want to stop the exploitation, we want to become the exploitation!"
Umm that begin with the assumption these people would hurt someone else if given the chance.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:04 pm
Umm that begin with the assumption these people would hurt someone else if given the chance.
My point is that literally it sucks that so many nerds my age grew up to be raging misogynists and assholes brutalizing the world from the tech industry.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 pm
My point is that literally it sucks that so many nerds my age grew up to be raging misogynists and assholes brutalizing the world from the tech industry.
Fair.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 pm
Yeah but if they didn't do it then who would?
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I had my own issues with this episode but think that Chuck misread the relationship between Edward and Captain Lynne Lucero as established by the episode. At the very least, he seems to basically miss just how badly Edward flubbed up in his presentation of his project.

My interpretation of the scene is that Edward basically outlines a bunch of ILLEGAL things (and borderline) illegal things that he's been working on as well as things that she found personally disgusting (damn future vegetarians). Genetic modification and lobotomizing intelligent organisms.

Putting him in an entirely different field becomes slightly different in that context.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:03 pm I had my own issues with this episode but think that Chuck misread the relationship between Edward and Captain Lynne Lucero as established by the episode. At the very least, he seems to basically miss just how badly Edward flubbed up in his presentation of his project.

My interpretation of the scene is that Edward basically outlines a bunch of ILLEGAL things (and borderline) illegal things that he's been working on as well as things that she found personally disgusting (damn future vegetarians). Genetic modification and lobotomizing intelligent organisms.

Putting him in an entirely different field becomes slightly different in that context.
If they are illegal then she still failed though. It is not oh you did something bad so we transfer you. That is what ticks people off about police and the church doing this. If you walk in and someone is doing something illegal then her duty should have been put him in the brig. So she was either criminally incompetent, or morally incompetent.
Pick one.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:25 pmIf they are illegal then she still failed though. It is not oh you did something bad so we transfer you. That is what ticks people off about police and the church doing this. If you walk in and someone is doing something illegal then her duty should have been put him in the brig. So she was either criminally incompetent, or morally incompetent.
Pick one.
She shut down the project completely and transferred him out. Technically, he seemed just to be advocating for them. He hadn't yet done anything yet.

Yes, she could have done much worse there but I don't think there's any sign she should have done less.