Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Comedy is a pretty frugal endeavor.
clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm Looks like my footnote isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Roll on Orville season 3.
Well that's not exactly canon, now.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm Comedy is a pretty frugal endeavor.
clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm Looks like my footnote isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Roll on Orville season 3.
Oh, my friend. It is in my head.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm Comedy is a pretty frugal endeavor.
Oh, my friend. It is in my head.
Well if that's allowed then go ahead and wait for my head canons and WE'LL SEE WHO'S LAUGHING THEN.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Going on the trailer, Star Trek Lower Decks has really got me excited, it definitely is doing a lot of good things that I personally like in a comedy, the fact that each of the crew members have their own personalists means that the comedy is character based and comes from them interacting with each other and their environment, much like Red vs. Blue, Archer and My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic to name a few of my favorites.

Also I really like the setting, not only having the main cast be Ensigns but the ship their on be the least important ship in the fleet allows freedom for the crew to be inexperienced, to fail, and importantly to be funny about it, as well as being able to do their own thing without effecting the galaxy at large, plus I do like comedies that have a setting that is fantastically but is also mundane like here, and it does lead to great comedic potential.

And of course that this is very much a Star Trek comedy rather than a bootleg version of Star Trek that makes fun of it, I personally think it's great that we now have a Star Trek show that can laugh at itself, and have a cast of characters that are far from perfect that inhabit the Star Trek universe.

Creatively, this is great and really funny, however I would like them to say when and where it is coming to the UK, I want to support this officially and not to pirate this.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Also I'd like to add that the animation looks really good, and it allows the characters to be more expressive than if they were in live action.

And I really like Tendi, I've like characters that don't act or even reject the expectation of the culture they come from like Jake Sisko, Nog and B'Elanna Torres, and I'm interested in the dynamic between her and Doctor T'Ana.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

Mixed feelings myself after viewing the trailer. Taken on its own I think I might enjoy it decently, because there's always a lot to be made fun of in Trek (good memories of Galaxy Quest always come to mind)...but this ostensibly actually takes place in the Trek universe so they need to walk a fine line of being funny but not to the point of being farcical. Gross out humor is also very hit or miss with me and it seems like this trailer had a lot of that. On the other hand I think the idea that a lowly Ensign is pretending to make a Captain's log both fits in the universe of Trek and is pretty funny.

One thing I will say is that given some of the little easter eggs I saw in the trailer (Like the Nemesis buggy being on the ship plans) I do get some impression this is being made in the same spirit as Galaxy Quest- people who like Trek just poking fun at the silly things. That gives me hope.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I get very mixed signals from the trailer. The humor and execution seem... fine? But it’s hewing very closely to the gross out gags of Rick and Morty or the ‘schlubs in space’ of Futurama, and well... a full on Trek show that looks so much like 5 and 20 year old Trek parodies is just not going to impress.

That the pilot seems to be based around a “Second Contact” mission is promising though. One way the show could distinguish itself is by actually revisiting those planet of the weeks and other such things and really showing how messed up “oh Kirk dropped by and upended your entire civilization and then went on his way and we didn’t follow up for 60 years” could get. That’s a well that a Trek-branded show could tap that a parody could not.
I’m probably reading too much into it of course! But it’s an idea the trailer made me think of that could seriously work.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

With Harley Quinn I thought that, with how quickly they got a second season out, it's possible these types of animated programs are a recognizably quick, frugal, and sustainable endeavor. It's just all under the condition that the writing is organic and unique enough.

The streaming market seems like a sister approach to tent pole franchises. Need a handful of shows. Maybe we got money left over in the budget for some fun on the side. It's not as if it's not well received.
..What mirror universe?
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I admit... not a fan. I'm not a Star Trek purist but this just seems... so not Trek. In a BAD way. The comedy just seems forced in the trailer and the animation seems rather cheap and i'm not a fan of the characters. Now this is the trailer so the show could be a LOT better, and if it is i'll be glad. But if the show is the trailer... yeah. Not gonna watch it.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I got mixed feelings maybe more leaning on the bad more than the good.

Hate that ship design though.
I got nothing to say here.