The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by McAvoy »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:06 am If that is the only thing that prevents you from watching it, then I suggest try to rewatch it.
Well, if the gross-out-humour would not be so ingrained in the show, I'd do so. But it's part of that show.
Not really. Especially in the 2nd season which is when it got a bit more serious.
I got nothing to say here.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:03 am
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:46 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:06 am If that is the only thing that prevents you from watching it, then I suggest try to rewatch it.
Well, if the gross-out-humour would not be so ingrained in the show, I'd do so. But it's part of that show.
Not really. Especially in the 2nd season which is when it got a bit more serious.
Is the gross-out humour gone as in vanished?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Honestly it sounds like The Orville just isn't for you. I don't think anything I could say about it will change your mind.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Watch or don't watch what you want. The puke is there in that episode. Humor is subjective and to compare this show to Family Guy is IMO wrong but you do you. Season 2 was better than season 1 but I enjoyed the show greatly after a we got through about 4-5 episodes of the first season (up to that point yeah, somne of the humor was kinda much) and I'm looking forward to Season 3 when it releases on Hulu later in the year, (assuming COVID won't delay release).
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

That episode of The Orville in season 2 where they find the time capsule deals with holoaddiction better than TNG did and deals with the idea of having a holofamily better than Voyager did. Because here they delve into the question as to ''why'' it is wrong rather than just trying to state that it is. And it is a good question to ask, especially as we begin to near the era of fully interactive videogames. If the feelings are real, if she feels real, if she meets your every need; is having someone who technically isn't real as your girlfriend wrong just because? TNG clearly thought so, Orville not so much. It was more how he went about it rather than the act itself.

That is the sort of episode we get in season 2. The Orville has really begun to grow its beard and has firmly established itself as the true continuation of the Star Trek ideal.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:03 am That episode of The Orville in season 2 where they find the time capsule deals with holoaddiction better than TNG did and deals with the idea of having a holofamily better than Voyager did. Because here they delve into the question as to ''why'' it is wrong rather than just trying to state that it is. And it is a good question to ask, especially as we begin to near the era of fully interactive videogames. If the feelings are real, if she feels real, if she meets your every need; is having someone who technically isn't real as your girlfriend wrong just because? TNG clearly thought so, Orville not so much. It was more how he went about it rather than the act itself.

That is the sort of episode we get in season 2. The Orville has really begun to grow its beard and has firmly established itself as the true continuation of the Star Trek ideal.
I agree. You do get some episodes like that. I think that is the smartest out of them all.

But nah, potty humor = never watching.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

If you put up with Neelix for comedy, there's no downwards direction. Nothing Orville does can be as offensive as sticking Neelix on screen and asking us to laugh.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

GreyICE wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 am If you put up with Neelix for comedy, there's no downwards direction. Nothing Orville does can be as offensive as sticking Neelix on screen and asking us to laugh.
Really, is that so?
Well, let me think: In which episode did Neelix puke or put peoples intestines on a buffet, in order to let it be eaten by a crewmate? What was the episodes title, in which he entered a crewmates stomach via mouth and said something like "What's that smell ? Is that ... a boot?"

Personally, I don't think Neelix is as offensive on humour-level as "The Orville".
And don't get me started on Captain Mercers idiot-plot, about how he could not show, that he'd be worth the command about "The Orville", because his ex-wife and XO pulled some strings, so he could be Captain.

Instead of saying "hey, thank you for giving me that opportunity", he's reacting like a big manbaby, nearly crying and definitely pissed of.

Granted, I didn't find all of Neelix shenanigans funny - but at least he didn't ejaculate out of his head or puke or did other disgusting stuff, and if he did, the crewmates at least showed, that it disgusted or at least irritated them, instead of complete and utter indifference or - worse - joining in on the "fun".
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:12 pm
GreyICE wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 am If you put up with Neelix for comedy, there's no downwards direction. Nothing Orville does can be as offensive as sticking Neelix on screen and asking us to laugh.
Really, is that so?
Well, let me think: In which episode did Neelix puke or put peoples intestines on a buffet, in order to let it be eaten by a crewmate? What was the episodes title, in which he entered a crewmates stomach via mouth and said something like "What's that smell ? Is that ... a boot?"

Personally, I don't think Neelix is as offensive on humour-level as "The Orville".
And don't get me started on Captain Mercers idiot-plot, about how he could not show, that he'd be worth the command about "The Orville", because his ex-wife and XO pulled some strings, so he could be Captain.

Instead of saying "hey, thank you for giving me that opportunity", he's reacting like a big manbaby, nearly crying and definitely pissed of.

Granted, I didn't find all of Neelix shenanigans funny - but at least he didn't ejaculate out of his head or puke or did other disgusting stuff, and if he did, the crewmates at least showed, that it disgusted or at least irritated them, instead of complete and utter indifference or - worse - joining in on the "fun".
Oh no, instead we got to suffer through B plots where his cooking destroyed the ship's power systems, or the time he told them he was an expert on Alien diplomacy and the funny bit was he knew nothing about alien diplomacy and they milked that for two seasons. Or how creepy his three year old crush/sex partner/wife with impossible biology was, especially with no one in the crew being like "uh... this is all sorts of squick, she basically left her homeworld to see the universe, and you promised to show her the universe and all you're showing her is Voyager and your cock."

I honestly think the Orville is a much more realistic look. The Orville is not the "flagship." It's a random, smaller ship, this is the equivalent of a constitution class that's supposed to be wandering around doing mid-level tasks. Captain Mercer is a man who was on a trajectory to be Picard, and now he's basically captaining an Intrepid class, and then he finds out his ex-wife pulled favors to get him there. And not only that, he's literally only there because the Admiral likes her, and wants her to be in command one day. Yeah, that stings. Especially since, y'know, ex-wife.

Also, space travel is really long and boring, because space is really big. Star Trek always papers over that with "Holodeck", but here's the thing. As long as you maintain the ship (presumably fairly easy), and keep crew around stations in case something goes wrong, what are you going to do, run into something? There's literally fuck all to run into. For weeks. So yeah, I imagine the crew gets up to some shenanigans, because there's literally fuckall to do. Navy ships get around that by having the crew clean everything on the ship every day or two, but that's only a solution workable for militaries - it's soul-sucking and draining. Oh and the crew gets up to shenanigans.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Yeah - the cooking was stupid. Concerning the Kes / Neelix-Relationship:
I concur, for you and me it's creepy. In the context of the show: I think, Kes would beg to differ. Oh, sure, the Voyager-Crew could be like "Erm... that makes us kinda uncomfortable" - but Kes would say "And who are you to judge us?"
And while we're at it: if we say "No, that's kinda icky" - then please don't tell stories about Seven of Nine discovering her sexuality. She was assimilated, when she was - six, I think? So, she is emotionally a kid, said six year old.

Have fun watching "Someone to watch over me", the episodes, where Harry falls in love with Seven (completely with "Are you in love with me, Ensign?) or where the Doctor falls in love with her and stays in love - or the last episodes, that deal with Seven and Chakotay in love... She's an emotional child. Yikes.

Concerning "the Orville" - meh.
If Mercer would've been more mature, he had said "Know what? It's kinda sad, that I couldn't prove myself, but nevertheless, thank you Commander Wonder Woman and Admiral Firestorm for pulling the strings. I'm sure I'mma prove, that I am worthy of your trust."