Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

Post by J!! »

Artabax wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm Sci-Fi weddings mean someone dies.
I assumed O'Brian /Keiko broke the curse, but Dax /Worf restored the curse. Fake Tom/ fake Bellana reinforced it. Xander/ Anya wedding never happened, but Anya still died to rescue Warren.

Maybe the Writers were too scared to risk it with real Tom /real Bellana.
O'Brian died several times. Had to watch himself do it, at that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Here's the world's tiniest violin playing for him.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Am I the only one who just flat out thinks Laris and Zhaban are in a poly trio with Picard?

I mean, not necessarily Picard with Zhaban but both of them are effectively married to Laris?

It adds a very interesting dynamic I think and nothing contradicts it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:44 am Am I the only one who just flat out thinks Laris and Zhaban are in a poly trio with Picard?

I mean, not necessarily Picard with Zhaban but both of them are effectively married to Laris?

It adds a very interesting dynamic I think and nothing contradicts it.
I think it's nothing more than senior poly baiting.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

I’d love to see Star Trek do something genuinely progressive like that, but I just don’t see it happening.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

GreyICE wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:42 pm I’d love to see Star Trek do something genuinely progressive like that, but I just don’t see it happening.
Hell, the directors were told to not be as explicit about Seven and Nazi Scientist Lady being a couple with Seven being bi.

(And Raffi too)

Hugh's actor was also told he couldn't make Hugh attracted to Samurai Romulan. Which would technically make Hugh the first gay Star Trek character retroactively.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 pm
GreyICE wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:42 pm I’d love to see Star Trek do something genuinely progressive like that, but I just don’t see it happening.
Hell, the directors were told to not be as explicit about Seven and Nazi Scientist Lady being a couple with Seven being bi.

(And Raffi too)

Hugh's actor was also told he couldn't make Hugh attracted to Samurai Romulan. Which would technically make Hugh the first gay Star Trek character retroactively.
Only by air date, not chronological or coneptional.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

(And Raffi too)

That sounds about right. The idea of showing a healthy, poly relationship with three adults navigating it would blow their minds. They'll show Kirk in a threesome in the movies, because "threesomes are hot", but an actual mature poly relationship? Nope!

It's almost a joke how very not progressive Paramount and CBS are. Lets see, I expect the next season of Discovery to have one episode worth of relationship drama for our gay couple as a B plot, before it's relegated to non-issue (can't kill the gay guy to get around the issue, that made everyone mad, so we'll just ignore it as much as possible), a very, very tangential reference to Black Lives Matter in historical data, and a few more uplifting and brave messages like "cultures change over time" or "genocide isn't good."

We'll see exactly zero actual depictions of society progressing and changing beyond where we were in, oh, about 1995. Hell, we can't even get someone getting body implants for reasons other than "horrible accident." This is the great inclusive future where no one has a tattoo (unless it's "tribal" - white people don't get tattoos to express themselves, in the far future where everything is accepted, no one pushes the boundaries in any way). An entire universe of technology for free expression, genetic editing on the DNA level as an outpatient procedure, the possibility of holo-tattoos, moving tattoos, and a world of implants, and we can't get the slightest little variation.

---------------------------

Imagine a culture where people implanted themselves for self-expression and practicality. Geordi's eyes, but because they wanted to see what they were building as an engineer. Mechanical gills, let them fish oxygen out of the water indefinitely. Replacing skin, adding holo tattoos, etc., just because they like the effect. You could have an entire episode of Picard being horrified because his experience as a Borg - show it's personal to him being implanted - and then realizing this was completely different because it was free expression, not forced implanting? A good ol' personal growth episode.

Now how many minutes would I get into the pitch of this episode before the studio shot me down? Think I'd make it 90 seconds?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:59 pm

(And Raffi too)

Only by air date, not chronological or coneptional.
Yeah, Jax remains having that honor and thank God as otherwise it would be Intendant Kira.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

GreyICE wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 pm

(And Raffi too)

That sounds about right. The idea of showing a healthy, poly relationship with three adults navigating it would blow their minds. They'll show Kirk in a threesome in the movies, because "threesomes are hot", but an actual mature poly relationship? Nope!

It's almost a joke how very not progressive Paramount and CBS are. Lets see, I expect the next season of Discovery to have one episode worth of relationship drama for our gay couple as a B plot, before it's relegated to non-issue (can't kill the gay guy to get around the issue, that made everyone mad, so we'll just ignore it as much as possible), a very, very tangential reference to Black Lives Matter in historical data, and a few more uplifting and brave messages like "cultures change over time" or "genocide isn't good."

We'll see exactly zero actual depictions of society progressing and changing beyond where we were in, oh, about 1995. Hell, we can't even get someone getting body implants for reasons other than "horrible accident." This is the great inclusive future where no one has a tattoo (unless it's "tribal" - white people don't get tattoos to express themselves, in the far future where everything is accepted, no one pushes the boundaries in any way). An entire universe of technology for free expression, genetic editing on the DNA level as an outpatient procedure, the possibility of holo-tattoos, moving tattoos, and a world of implants, and we can't get the slightest little variation.

---------------------------

Imagine a culture where people implanted themselves for self-expression and practicality. Geordi's eyes, but because they wanted to see what they were building as an engineer. Mechanical gills, let them fish oxygen out of the water indefinitely. Replacing skin, adding holo tattoos, etc., just because they like the effect. You could have an entire episode of Picard being horrified because his experience as a Borg - show it's personal to him being implanted - and then realizing this was completely different because it was free expression, not forced implanting? A good ol' personal growth episode.

Now how many minutes would I get into the pitch of this episode before the studio shot me down? Think I'd make it 90 seconds?
I am just going with the tattoo point. To be honest I never thought about it but you are definitely right. Outside Chakotay I don't think we have seen a tattoo on a human. One that is negative at least because I might be forgetting someone in some episode.

But I also think with the original run of Old Trek 66-05, tattoos were still either taboo or still something that the general population didn't do... Yet. At least in the 90's. Nowadays, it's not 'normal' to not have a tattoo. Believe me I know, people ask me why I don't have a tattoo especially since I was once a sailor and that usually goes hand in hand.

Would be nice to see someone with tats though.
I got nothing to say here.