Scifi megacorps are always cheapskates

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
chaos42
Officer

Re: Scifi megacorps are always cheapskates

Post by chaos42 »

one of these days an evil mega corp will be taken down by their ultimate enemy occ
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

GreyICE wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:33 pm
Safety regulations are written in blood. Is there a regulation? Someone got crushed, maimed, their organs got shredded, they suffered and died. Our manual crane had two safeties on top of its standard operating safety (aka three separate ways to stop it from crushing someone). We still had someone die. He was the guy in charge of the crane safeties, and was probably one of the only people who knew how to disengage one of them.

Every “stupid regulation” cost someone an arm. Or much worse.
Yes, this. And not limited to private industry. I remember a story about a project my father was on. He was a draftsman and helped get this cargo loading system installed on refitted carriers. It has sensors and gates and the like so the system would shut down if someone had a limb anywhere in the chute and a limiter on the conveyor belt. Just a few months after it went to sea, two people died on it. Because loading took too long they had bypassed all the safety sensors and the limiter. There was a brief pause on a load coming down and they leaned in to look up the chute. And the crate came down into their heads.
Now how many of you think they had a supervisor that told them to hurry the hell up? Because I have a hard time imagining some low rank sailors going to that much trouble on their own.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Nealithi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am
Safety regulations are written in blood. Is there a regulation? Someone got crushed, maimed, their organs got shredded, they suffered and died. Our manual crane had two safeties on top of its standard operating safety (aka three separate ways to stop it from crushing someone). We still had someone die. He was the guy in charge of the crane safeties, and was probably one of the only people who knew how to disengage one of them.

Yes, this. And not limited to private industry. I remember a story about a project my father was on. He was a draftsman and helped get this cargo loading system installed on refitted carriers. It has sensors and gates and the like so the system would shut down if someone had a limb anywhere in the chute and a limiter on the conveyor belt. Just a few months after it went to sea, two people died on it. Because loading took too long they had bypassed all the safety sensors and the limiter. There was a brief pause on a load coming down and they leaned in to look up the chute. And the crate came down into their heads.
Now how many of you think they had a supervisor that told them to hurry the hell up? Because I have a hard time imagining some low rank sailors going to that much trouble on their own.
if he didn't tell them or disengage it himself the supervisor probably told them to do what ever they had to, to speed things up. problem is doing the job right takes TIME something executives don't realize, that they don't know what they are talking about because they aren't on the floor or seeing how things are done first hand every day. this is typical upper managers no idea whats actually needed to get a job done, my jobs under staffed because of covid and they increased the time we are open with out increase the pay roll budget so now we have to work more hours a week but with the same number we had before which was already bare bones. im tired from doing half a dozen things a day and just trying to get things organized in the store so i can find the stuff we need.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 pmif he didn't tell them or disengage it himself the supervisor probably told them to do what ever they had to, to speed things up. problem is doing the job right takes TIME something executives don't realize, that they don't know what they are talking about because they aren't on the floor or seeing how things are done first hand every day. this is typical upper managers no idea whats actually needed to get a job done, my jobs under staffed because of covid and they increased the time we are open with out increase the pay roll budget so now we have to work more hours a week but with the same number we had before which was already bare bones. im tired from doing half a dozen things a day and just trying to get things organized in the store so i can find the stuff we need.
The supervisor probably didn't tell them specifically to. What the supervisors and managers probably did is create a culture where shortcuts were permitted and encouraged. And they probably didn't realize they were doing it. They just pushed people to work faster, punished people who worked too slow, rewarded people who worked fast, and ignored breaking a few "stupid safety regulations.

That's the worst part about it. All you have to do is set up a company culture where "done fast" is more valuable than "done according to procedure," reward employees for being fast, and don't punish not following procedure. The results are as inevitable as the sun rising, and always result in crushed body parts and crushed bodies.

Do you know how many companies allow totally garbage LOTO? Like a padlock on the disconnect, and someone goes over to work on the machine, sees the padlock, and "oh it's already LOTO"? So many. So, so many. Or even worse, cut padlocks because "idiot maintenance left the lock on and this is costing me $200,000 every fifteen minutes it's down!"
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i work in a retail store and its always work with less, my last 2 managers were really bad because they were morons who didn't do much and when they did it was only to cover their own hind quarters. they cared nothing about keeping the place organized or avoiding problems, the new manager i got recently finds things and i tell him why its like that -like one device being ruined by the assistant manager because it was giving an error ring which means it needs to be fixed but since she is an idiot she didn't just take the fuse out she RIPPED the capacitors and other bits out of the board on the access panel and cut through the wires, she destroyed several hundred dollars worth of hardware and never got punished for it, and the manager knew she did it, i kept telling the repair person who came to fix it what happened and he said after seeing what i showed him it was beyond fixing, but they never did and when upper management came and asked why its not working they did something and sent another guy i told them and again same thing it can't be fixed.

wonder if thats how other places work
Last edited by chaos42 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 am Got to remember that there are alot of government regulations and 'For Profit' organizations like OSHA.

I hate OSHA with a passion. My job was to keep the company within OSHA compliance along with FAA, among other things. But OSHA is the worse. I could make the whole company perfect and OSHA could still come in fine the company for $500 for some bullshit reason (which the company can fight and get it reduced to $100).

Anyway imagine removing all of that. Makes the company operate much cheaper right? But it removes alot of the forced safety regulations. It reverts the work force 100 years where working at a high height without some sort of safety control. Just an example.

Imagine Space. Where travel takes so long that you have to hibernate. And it's deep space too. All of those regulations can go out the window because in deep space who is going to enforce it?

I well understand that believe me. Perhaps they pull the random fines out (ones where they find nothing wrong with the company) as a way to keep on your toes.

My company got hit for $500 for labeling a drum 'used fuel' as opposed to 'waste fuel'. Not much of a fine and very easy to fix. Though 'used fuel' is abmittedly sort of redundant.
I got nothing to say here.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:20 am I well understand that believe me. Perhaps they pull the random fines out (ones where they find nothing wrong with the company) as a way to keep on your toes.

My company got hit for $500 for labeling a drum 'used fuel' as opposed to 'waste fuel'. Not much of a fine and very easy to fix. Though 'used fuel' is abmittedly sort of redundant.
Used implies it might be able to be reused, recycled, used some other way. Waste means disposed of. Somewhere, someone mislabeled waste as something not waste, and terrible things happened as a result.

Also $500? Man, what's that? $500? We had $26 nuts. We'd use hundreds of them. $500 is like half the office supplies budget for the month. That's a light slap on the wrist, and was clearly intended as such.

Anything under 5 figures is just wagging your finger at a small corporation, anything under 8 for a big one.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

GreyICE wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:31 am
McAvoy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:20 am I well understand that believe me. Perhaps they pull the random fines out (ones where they find nothing wrong with the company) as a way to keep on your toes.

Used implies it might be able to be reused, recycled, used some other way. Waste means disposed of. Somewhere, someone mislabeled waste as something not waste, and terrible things happened as a result.

Also $500? Man, what's that? $500? We had $26 nuts. We'd use hundreds of them. $500 is like half the office supplies budget for the month. That's a light slap on the wrist, and was clearly intended as such.

Anything under 5 figures is just wagging your finger at a small corporation, anything under 8 for a big one.
My company, an aircraft maintenance company uses far more expensive hardware. Some bolts are worth more than $500. So yeah it was not even a slap on the wrist. It's like a wagging of the finger.

If I remember correctly, they found that used fuel sounded off since if you use fuel, you wouldn't have the fuel. Whereas waste suggests its fuel that can't be used.
I got nothing to say here.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

thats more of a could you please fix this, not a fine them sort of issue, because its a minor nomenclature issues. if they left it yes i would fine them on the next visit but if its the first time give them a chance to fix it.

though right now i just wish they would give us a bigger budget at work. because we are so under staffed we are slipping on how fast we can do anything because we don't have enough people to do anything -we are all doing 5 jobs at a time. why don't these idiots just give us more hour to run the store or at the very least PAY ME MORE for the pain it causes me, if i was paid better i wouldn't mind it so much.