Jurassic Park film

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Jurassic Park film

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Colbertnation wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:43 pm I get the whole ribbing at the Dinosaur erotica, but did you know that such an author got nominated for a Hugo TWICE?
Chuck Tingle is a fantastic man and deserves praise for the work he does entertaining people, but alas, the Hugo nominations under his belt are kind of... messy.

Basically, the Huge nominations are made at a convention, and anyone can submit an entry. Long story short some progressive works got nominated one year, and so a bunch of alt-right anti-SJW losers then trolled the awards by buying lots of tickets to the con and stuffed the ballot box, so Tingle made it to the nominee list.

They weren't nominating him because he is wonderful, but because they were assholes trying to find what they felt was the stupidest thing they could to protest stories that had women or black people in them.

They then repeated it the next year.

I think the Hugos changed some policies after that.

Tingle had nothing to do with it, he is faultless in the mess, but he DOES enjoy throwing "two time hugo nominee" onto all his book covers because it just adds to the absurdity of his crazy stuff.

He also collaborated with Neil Gaiman, John Scalzi, and Patrick Rothfuss on a project once.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

BTW, I almost hired a professional James Earl Jones impersonator, but it didn't look like he would have it done for me in time. By the time I was finished recording Jurassic Park Red, I was slamming my fist down asking the universe, "Why is James Earl Jones talking to me on the toilet not already a real thing?!!"
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:37 am
Chuck Tingle is a fantastic man and deserves praise for the work he does entertaining people, but alas, the Hugo nominations under his belt are kind of... messy.

Basically, the Huge nominations are made at a convention, and anyone can submit an entry. Long story short some progressive works got nominated one year, and so a bunch of alt-right anti-SJW losers then trolled the awards by buying lots of tickets to the con and stuffed the ballot box, so Tingle made it to the nominee list.

They weren't nominating him because he is wonderful, but because they were assholes trying to find what they felt was the stupidest thing they could to protest stories that had women or black people in them.

They then repeated it the next year.

I think the Hugos changed some policies after that.
Or maybe it's just a bunch of trolls just making fun of a guy who writes really bizarre stories. No need to see racism and sexism where it doesn't exist.

And this guy worked with fucking Zoe Quinn to make an 'erotic adventure game' on kickstarted, raising 85,000 dollars and 4 years later there's still nothing (which instantly screams con artist to me). Yeah, doesn't sound like a nice chap to me.
Last edited by ChrisTheLovableJerk on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:14 am I was slamming my fist down asking the universe, "Why is James Earl Jones talking to me on the toilet not already a real thing?!!"
Because we mere mortals are not ready for such glory.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:14 am By the time I was finished recording Jurassic Park Red, I was slamming my fist down asking the universe, "Why is James Earl Jones talking to me on the toilet not already a real thing?!!"
At some point in my life I want to go to the Toho hotel in Japan and pilot MechaGodzilla on the toilet because.... well that really doesn't need a reason.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:17 am Or maybe it's just a bunch of trolls just making fun of a guy who writes really bizarre stories. No need to see racism and sexism where it doesn't exist.

I'm not seeing things where they didn't exist.

It was literally an alt-right politically motivated group calling themselves the Rabbid Puppies (and offshoot of the Sad Puppies), headed by a guy that goes by "Vox Day." It was their mission statement and the whole thing is pretty well documented.

They were upset that women and minorities were getting nominated in science fiction that year, and wanted things to go back to their "non-SJW roots" (showing they missed the memo entirely on science fiction) and so picked the gayest and most bizarre thing they could to nominate instead and flooded the ballot box at not an insignificant expense since they all had to buy tickets to the con.

Yes it was a trolling, but it was a trolling with an explicit agenda. Its why the Hugos that year ended up having a lot of categories with "No Award."

There's dozens of articles on it. Here's a few of them.

https://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-hugos-puppies-20160427-snap-htmlstory.html
https://www.vox.com/2016/5/26/11759842/chuck-tingle-hugo-award-rabid-puppies-explained
https://www.wired.com/2017/04/hugo-nominations-who-is-stix-hiscock/

And yes, CHuck Tingle IS well liked in the general community in spite of the genre he writes in. He's a nice fun guy, does charity events, etc. As for the kickstarter? Lots of kickstarter projects fall apart, realize the funding wasn't actually enough for their ambition, or get endlessly delayed for a wide variety of reasons. Both he and Quinn have been on a variety of projects, so presumably they've been taking gigs and doing the other thing on the side. Kickstarter hiccups are not unusual. Doesn't mean they're a scam artist.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The Sad/Rabid Puppies collapsed in 2017, with changes to the nomination process, so it can be inferred that the 2017 Best Fan Writer nomination was in fact legitimate.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Rodan56 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:14 pm I never liked Ian Malcom, even as a kid. I felt he was a buzzkill and eventually he evolved into an anti-dinosaur jerk who advocates for their extermination. So... go ahead, shit on him as much at you want. I get he's Jeff Goldblum and people love him, but Ian Malcom is a shithead who I've never liked. I can seperate the two and I've hated every attempt to make the character a meme.
He’s basically right because the script says he’s right. This is especially true in JP2. At least that’s how it always felt to me. As for Jeff Goldblum... While I don’t have much of an opinion on him, I do wonder if another actor could have made Ian more tolerable. Ian always comes off as an arrogant prick when he’s declaring his theories or making his arguments.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

Crichton falls into that all too easy trap for writers with something to say, turning a character into their mouthpiece for their views. And unlike real life, the plot and the characters seem to inevitably bend over backwards to prove said viewpoint despite the fact that convincing anyone of your argument is optimistic at best (either using actual well-reasoned facts and logic or logical fallacies that you think are well-reasoned facts).

I'm reminded of Bill Waterson the creator of the newspaper comic "Calvin and Hobbes" he also used his characters as a mouthpiece for his views, like environmentalism, commercialization of holidays, cycling etc. However, he also was aware enough to know that it would come off as preachy so such comics usually went:
Character spends the first couple panels going on their diatribe.
The final panel features another character giving a sarcastic remark to said rant.

Opinionated writers too often forget to address the other side of the argument, much less paint it in reasonable, human light. Malcolm in the movie is much more tolerable partially thanks to Jeff Goldblum's performance and because they really toned down the soapbox.
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

I'm watching this currently and the bit with the dinosaur erotica has forced me to stop and post this. In my opinion when ANYTHING that has teeth as big as you are show's interest it's a brave person who will say "I'm sorry I'm just not into you."