Upcoming Films

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by Karha of Honor »

Ordo wrote:
Redem wrote:
Ordo wrote: Considering 'The Book of Henry" they made the right call dropping him.

It seem to be the conscensus, personally I keep imaginging a disney exec seeing the book of henry and immediatly calling Kathleen Kennedy with "we have a situation"
I can't fault Kennedy in this, she sounds like she's willing to give new young directors a chance...but if they can't get it right she's going to step in and protect 'Star Wars'. TLJ has been pretty smooth so it's just a matter of finding the right talent for the Job...and sometimes a resume won't be enough to say if said director is a good fit.
Giving young directors a chance... Good joke. They want directors who take direction well from Disney and will lose the PR battle about creative decisions.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Redem wrote:
Ordo wrote: Considering 'The Book of Henry" they made the right call dropping him.

It seem to be the conscensus, personally I keep imaginging a disney exec seeing the book of henry and immediatly calling Kathleen Kennedy with "we have a situation"
I can't fault Kennedy in this, she sounds like she's willing to give new young directors a chance...but if they can't get it right she's going to step in and protect 'Star Wars'. TLJ has been pretty smooth so it's just a matter of finding the right talent for the Job...and sometimes a resume won't be enough to say if said director is a good fit.
Giving young directors a chance... Good joke. They want directors who take direction well from Disney and will lose the PR battle about creative decisions.
Incorrect, Rian Johnson has stated he had a LOT of freedom when it came to creating the story for 'The Last Jedi', in fact he deliberatly engaged the Lucas Film Story group because he WANTED more guidance. Garth Edwards was frankly surprised he was allowed to kill off the entire caste of 'Rogue One' and originally had a back up plan where a few of them survived. Even Lord/Miller were given a LOT of chances to get it right...but kept doing things that just didn't work. Colin must have seemed like a solid choice after 'Jurassic World' but his 'Book of Henry' plus script issues with Episode 9 saw him parting ways with Lucasfilm

If TLJ is another hit (Like TFA and Rogue One before it) and the Han Solo movie is saved from the wreckage of Lord/Millers mistakes, then Lucasfilm wins the PR battle in the end.

You know, I find it funny, how quick some people are in taking Colin Trevorrow's side. Jurassic world was a success....but there were some issue that made me nervous about hiring him for Star Wars. However it wasn't until 'The Book of Henry' that it became clear Colin was not the right person for the Job. Even then LFL gave him a chance to fix his script....it didn't work. So instead of ignoring the problem and just hoping for the best...they sort it out....to protect Star Wars....and people complain.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movi ... hnson.html
How much of the story of “The Last Jedi” was dictated to you, either by events in “The Force Awakens” or by Lucasfilm?

I had figured there would be a big map on the wall with the whole story laid out, and it was not that at all. I was basically given the script for “Episode VII;” I got to watch dailies of what J. J. was doing. And it was like, where do we go from here? That was awesome.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Improvement over Colin Trevorrow , I guess?

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907611312255062028

Personally I'm disapointed and think it will make for a watcheable if terribly bland movie
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

(unintelligible groaning)
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

well I'm guess we're getting a ROTJ remake in the new trilogy now :/
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

That's a name I'd not expected to hear for a long time...

I mean, the guy's record is good in my book - I liked what he brought to Star Trek (even if discarding some of it made Beyond my favourite of the new, among other factors), and I loved TFA. Even now, with the hype faded away and objective eyes seeing the faults in it much more clearly - the lazy repetition of ANH plot points, the sometimes blatant 'wing it' attitude to story planning - he gave us Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren, and a movie made with obvious commitment to avoiding the green-screen-it-all trap of the prequels, to great effect. Works for me.

On the other hand, I don't like what I feel it says about the Star Wars machine - do they feel they need JJ? They're not coming back from the wilderness with the spectre of the prequels looming over them this time: Star Wars is back in play, filling up Disney's wallet like the juggernaut it is, and it's going to take more than a misstep or two to derail the whole thing now. Even if they're thinking 'play it safe, don't go crazy, we just want a nice, steady shoot and a solid payday at the end of it', I'm quite sure there are a number of top men and women in the business who Disney could sleep easy at night signing up and who'd bring something new and interesting to the table without turning Ep9 into a sink-or-swim gamble. It worries me that that list somehow got whittled down to JJ as writer and director (and that apparently before that, the go-to was 'get Rian to do another one') - that doesn't feel like a confident decision, it feels like falling back and regrouping behind a reassuringly thick concrete wall, and it makes me wonder what they're worried about that they feel they need to do that. Even with this Han Solo kerfuffle with the directors, so far as I was aware it'd been handled in a way that I'd have thought wouldn't have made everyone so nervous that they'd retreat into their shells like this.

But I dunno - it's not an open system, and I'm not the Shadow so I don't know what lurks in the hearts of moviemakers. I don't think JJ's a problem, I'm just worried at the notion that any 'new' director, even the kind of veteran Disney's money could hire, somehow looked like too much of a risk.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

"Well, it has to make $1.5 billion. Is James Cameron available? No?"
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Like so much in Hollywood, they are probably hoping to reproduce the results by reproducing as much as possible about the previous success.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR