DS9 - Rejoined

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: DS9 - Rejoined

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:30 pm Remember that there are two types of success. And that although a pocket of fanboys claim it to be a hack movie, most anybody else doesn't have a problem with it and thinks it's alright. So yeah, not quite passing at one regard, but doing alright on the, um, other.
I continue to be proven right, my friend. TLOU 2 is the latest example of short term money over long term gains. Anyone who thinks that TLOU 3 will make anywhere near as much as this one is living under a rock. And Cpt Marvel is the exception to my rule because it is a Marvel movie released during the prime of the MCU. Lets give it a few years and see what a post Tony Stark, Captain America MCU looks like and we'll discuss again whether you can continue to release dross like this.

I give the planned Female Avengers movie only a 50/50 chance. Not because of sexism, but because of the fact that both Marvel and DC have a very limited pool of ICONIC superheroines to draw from. Even non-comic book fans knew who Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk and Thor were going in, just as even non-Trekkies know who Captain Kirk is or non-Star Wars fans know who Luke Skywalker is. ''Birds of Prey'' was a good example of this, with many casuals who went to see the movie scratching their heads at the ''talent'' on offer. I'll tell you this much as well: if they go all feminist on us like they did with ''Birds of Prey'' and try to guilt-trip the male audience into no longer liking scantily clad women it'll do even worse. Sex negative feminism does not sell to men and never will.

Anyway, by-the-by, the worst Marvel movies were The Hulk films. The producers were lucky enough that these disasters happened early enough that they could recast Ed Norton for The Avengers.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:01 pmEven non-comic book fans knew who Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk and Thor were going in
I'd just like to point out something, and that's this: no they didn't. They had no idea.

Marvel was HEMORRHAGING money post comic book crash. Just absolutely, utterly hemorrhaging it. They nearly went bankrupt, and they did the only thing they could - they sold off the film rights to their characters to every buyer they could. They sold all of their characters anyone wanted - Spiderman, the XMen, the Fantastic Four. They sold Daredevil, the man without fear. They sold the Punisher. They sold Blade. They sold motherfucking Ghost Rider. They sold Hulk.

The only thing they didn't sell was garbage no one wanted. Iron Man? He was a C-list hero Stan Lee made on a bet, to try and turn an industrialist into a hero. Then he was an alcoholic. He wasn't even a shitty Reed Richards, he was a shitty Hank Pym. Thor? Uh... Thor? He's a Norse myth. You can't copyright Norse Mythology. I could release a movie about Thor tomorrow - there'd be certain comic book things I couldn't use, but I can absolutely release any movie I want about Thor. I could make a movie called "Thor in LA" where the Norse god of Thunder goes to LA to audition for movies and find true love. It's not even a license, no one was interested. Captain America? Always useful to have around because you want to reassure politicians you're not Anti-American, but what do you do with the character? He mostly went around to various teamups because "everyone trusted him." Hawkeye, Black Widow? They're the answer to trivia contest questions at Comic Con.

These characters were nobodies. The entire idea of the Avengers comic book was they were a bunch of titles that had shitty sales, so they lumped them all together into one Avengers title... that also had shitty sales. If you wanted a superhero in Marvel to solve the biggest problem, you called Marvel's First Family - the Fantastic Four. If you wanted a superhero for a weird problem, you were getting the XMen. If it was something else, you might get Spiderman, one of the "good guy Venoms", even Ghost Rider.

These are the movers and shakers of the Infinity War:

Yes, you can find Iron Man. He's got the same level of prominence as Moon Knight.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Guess I learned my lesson about making shitty jokes about the largest threads on this forum.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

TGLS wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 pm Guess I learned my lesson about making shitty jokes about the largest threads on this forum.
How dare you engage the tread in a larger meta way relevant to the forum! How dare you sir!
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

GreyICE wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:47 pmCaptain 1 was the only good one in the first wave until Avengers.

Now the second Captain America movie, that was a piece of shit.
This opinion is so bad that it has cancelled all future opinions you might have, and all past opinions you held are now automatically invalid. This opinion is so bad that in the coming decades, mothers will tell their children of it in cautionary tales. This opinion is so bad that some day you will be on a hospital bed, and the doctor will lean over and say "we need your permission for lifesaving surgery! Do you consent?" And you'll consent, and he'll check the chart, and it'll just say "patient things The First Avenger was good and Winter Soldier was shit" and they'll realize they can't ethically take your word, and just walk away from the operating table.

This is "the Star Wars Christmas Special was actually pretty decent" of opinions.
Ok, that was genuinely funny.

Way more entertainment than anything in Winter Soldier.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

288 pages left, come on.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

mathewgsmith wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 am
GreyICE wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:47 pmCaptain 1 was the only good one in the first wave until Avengers.

Now the second Captain America movie, that was a piece of shit.
This opinion is so bad that it has cancelled all future opinions you might have, and all past opinions you held are now automatically invalid. This opinion is so bad that in the coming decades, mothers will tell their children of it in cautionary tales. This opinion is so bad that some day you will be on a hospital bed, and the doctor will lean over and say "we need your permission for lifesaving surgery! Do you consent?" And you'll consent, and he'll check the chart, and it'll just say "patient things The First Avenger was good and Winter Soldier was shit" and they'll realize they can't ethically take your word, and just walk away from the operating table.

This is "the Star Wars Christmas Special was actually pretty decent" of opinions.
Ok, that was genuinely funny.

Way more entertainment than anything in Winter Soldier.
Don't complain about movies you clearly didn't watch.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thinking about the TNG and DS9 Trills further, I think the DS9 Trills are far more realistic. If we suppose that the symbionts grew up alongside the Trills on their homeworld then you can see how the whole blending process might evolve. Despite what the worms look like they may share a hell of a lot of DNA with each other.

The TNG Trills however have the same problem that inter-alien breeding does: aliens should be biologically different to each other to the point that the symbiont would just as likely die in an alien host as it would take over its body. And whilst its true that in Trek everyone is basically human, you still do have biological differences. Vulcans and Klingons especially are very different internally to us.

As for the Beverly Crusher ''is she homophobic/transphobic'' discussion from earlier, it occurs to me that sexuality would probably be different by the 24th century - perhaps even leading to a far more pansexual mindset than we have today. Whilst I still maintain that you cannot pick your sexuality on a whim and that Crusher was right to react the way she did, its also true that Crusher lives in a universe where there are sexless aliens (J'Naii), aliens where the men get pregnant (Xerillians), aliens that have their genitals on their knee (Star Trek 6), aliens that lay eggs and have transparent skulls (according to Jadzia). My consensus definitely is now going with ''Crusher did not even try to react like a 24th century tolerant woman is mean to''.

PS I am calling the J'naii ''sexless'' instead of ''genderless'' like the episode does because we have to account for 30 years of terminology advancement. The words were interchangeable back then. However, with modern eyes, they clearly do have gender its just that their authoritarian government was oppressing it. Sexless would definitely fit them better. Of course, we are also dealing with what is a very badly written episode so to this day I still cannot work out why a species that only has one sex would ever have a concept of gender in the first place. There are no males and females so having a male or female gender identity is nonsensical.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

I still really like the original iron Man film, Downey's take on Stark and the character arc he had and the experienting stuff was all great. Iron Man 2 and 3, not so much.

The Marvel films are all of varying quality, but whatever you think of Captain Marvel being middle of the road quality... The second Spiderman film required, as an actual plot point, for Nick Fury to be an idiot that was nowhere near as competent as he usually is, so that the plot could work.

Not just bad writing or being out of character, it was an actual explicit plot point reveal at the end that they knew he'd been dumb to whole movie to excuse him being so off his game. When a movie has THAT large a hole in its entire script and they have to make a gag out of it to try and patch the hole... I feel like that's an issue.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Bumping this again.