another star trek animated series announced

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: another star trek animated series announced

Post by Link8909 »

While I see where everyone is going with the Valiant comparisons, at this moment in time is could go anywhere with its premise, we still don't know when in the Star Trek timeline this will be set in or even who the characters are and what ship they get.

While this isn't one of the new Star Trek series I'm on the edge of my seat to see, I do like that Star Trek is going for the "for young audiences" route in the same vein as The Animated Series from long ago, both Kevin and Dan Hageman who are working on Star Trek Prodigy are talented people, the premise is interesting and can lead to interesting scenarios, if the ship is big like a Galaxy-Class could be adventure and mystery onboard?, will the "lawless" teenagers be former Starfleet or civilians? could Starfleet be trying to hunt them down making them a sort of antagonist to the heroes?

Honestly at this point all we know is that it's coming, whether this is good or not only the future knows.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Link8909 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 pm While I see where everyone is going with the Valiant comparisons, at this moment in time is could go anywhere with its premise, we still don't know when in the Star Trek timeline this will be set in or even who the characters are and what ship they get.

While this isn't one of the new Star Trek series I'm on the edge of my seat to see, I do like that Star Trek is going for the "for young audiences" route in the same vein as The Animated Series from long ago, both Kevin and Dan Hageman who are working on Star Trek Prodigy are talented people, the premise is interesting and can lead to interesting scenarios, if the ship is big like a Galaxy-Class could be adventure and mystery onboard?, will the "lawless" teenagers be former Starfleet or civilians? could Starfleet be trying to hunt them down making them a sort of antagonist to the heroes?

Honestly at this point all we know is that it's coming, whether this is good or not only the future knows.
the teenagers and being lawless im not sure about as a concept.

something that might work is one were its a training ship like what the valiant was before it turned into lord of the flies in space. It is possible it could work. the way i would work it is that its a team of cadets who aren't the best students or it could be a form of rehab for delinquent teens and they are given a job of helping restore an older star fleet ship for a museum piece-there is a fleet museum in star trek why not have them be sent to work in an depo for decommissioned and ships and they have to build the thing back up but they have to salvage most of the parts from other ships of the same time period. and they stumble across mysteries and secrets in these old ships could even add some ghost story like elements to them.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

Star Trek Vet Kate Mulgrew to Resurrect Janeway for Nickelodeon’s Animated Prodigy Series — Watch
https://tvline.com/2020/10/08/kate-mulgrew-star-trek-prodigy-janeway-returns-nickelodeon/

I can just imaging Chuck's JOY over this announcement.
Elric4985
Redshirt

Post by Elric4985 »

Yeah, about this new show
https://www.cnet.com/news/captain-janeway-returns-in-animated-star-trek-prodigy-on-nickelodeon/
jeffpiatt
Redshirt

Post by jeffpiatt »

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/10/captain-janeway-and-kate-mulgrew-coming-back-to-star-trek-in-2021/?comments=1&post=39309877
We are getting Best Admiral back. this show will be great for the children. showing them what real leadership looks like.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yes, show the children the Janeway-maneuver 🙄
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

First one, is still the best ever. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

aceina wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am https://www.polygon.com/tv/2020/7/23/21335975/star-trek-prodigy-animated-series-kids-nickelodeon?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

ya know DS9 did a episode with a plot similar to this show

every one died because teenagers are not suited for running a star ship
Maybe it can work, that took place during a war, if this happens during peace time why not.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:18 pm
aceina wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am https://www.polygon.com/tv/2020/7/23/21335975/star-trek-prodigy-animated-series-kids-nickelodeon?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

ya know DS9 did a episode with a plot similar to this show

every one died because teenagers are not suited for running a star ship
Maybe it can work, that took place during a war, if this happens during peace time why not.
Because teenagers are still teenagers. There is a reason why we call such people ''minors''. It is because they lack the experience, intelligence and capability to be trusted with anything important. Lets say, for example, an anti-matter powered starship with weapons capable of wiping out whole cities. But that is now where we are with Trek I guess. It is taking is cue from J-RPGs and Shonen.

I just hope that Ensign John will manage to ask Ensign Jennifer to the prom during the Gorn attack. That will be a story worth waiting for.