Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
chaos42
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by chaos42 »

im just thinking that not everything is going to be the best costs still exist and some times organizations make choices like this. example we need ships to do this job. well this is a ship class that can do it but we don't have nearly enough ready to go. so to fill the quota of ships they pull equipment form older ships, when a ship is decommissioned they are stripped of usable parts and left at yards until they are scrapped or recommissioned, things like computer warp cores ect. are used in other ships so its possible the ship in lower decks had a lot of parts from older star ships used to finish it up and its running on equipment that is massively pass its prime or is functional but isn't the top of the line. while replicators do exist you can't make everything with one, and i would suggest warp cores and the major systems on a star ship have to be constructed with out replicators. Plus its not impossible for something like this to happen in fiction because it happens in real life, companies don't replace something before it breaks or run on out dated tech because it would make things harder to upgrade. i don't see why it couldn't happen.
also we are only suggesting this as a way of making jokes, i think your taking it a little too seriously, i love trek too. but there are times you can have fun with things like this. also this is a comedy show as you said, its the kind of thing that would be funny as a sick joke that the ship is inferior to an older model simply because of budget cuts. or something along those lines.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I am just happy they aren't hanging around kirk era.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

it is very dated looking -now i don't mine the discovery revamp of the enterprise but i think its time we move forward
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Jesus I thought this show was going to come out around Disc S3 for some reason. I cancelled cbsaa as I've I tend to let it run for a while but this show's like half way through its first season probably.

I'm more curious now since it's getting bad reviews.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:55 am I am just happy they aren't hanging around kirk era.
chaos42 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:01 pm it is very dated looking -now i don't mine the discovery revamp of the enterprise but i think its time we move forward
While I'm not apposed to seeing more of the 23rd Century, I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds myself and also like the revamp of the Enterprise, I do think it's good we're going back to the 24th Century, and in the case of Star Trek Picard we are seeing the repercussions of the supernova as well as moving forward.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:21 pm Jesus I thought this show was going to come out around Disc S3 for some reason. I cancelled cbsaa as I've I tend to let it run for a while but this show's like half way through its first season probably.

I'm more curious now since it's getting bad reviews.
That's a shame, until I can actually watch Star Trek Lower Decks here in the UK I'm avoiding anything that might spoil it, so I'm gonna head out of this thread.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Saw the first episode.
Thanks, I hate it.
All jokes fell flat. They just throw in lots of references. No one is likeable. Feels like it was made for people with ADD or at the very least Hollywood ADD people. Doesn't feel like it was made for kids or teens. Might watch the rest drunk or something.

Is it really that hard to make decent comedy these days?
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

its kind of medium -some of the jokes were funny the characters are a little predictable and i saw the plot twist at the end coming a mile away
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The animation style isn't as bad as Seth McFarlane fair and nowhere near as bad as big mouth, but it's still as visually appealing as plain oatmeal.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

well its the first episode of the first season. so i don't know some times they don't always get the first show right and subsequent ones get better as they have to do a lot in a short run time -these aren't very long 26 mins is not a lot for a streaming show. thats the other down side -these things are short.