Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by Robovski »

I feel there was a generational shift due to a huge surge in birthday coming off voting age (let's say 14) on Naboo and so she was elected Queen because she had a few million followers on Naboo-book, making a mockery of the traditional political parties. She then mis-managed affairs badly enough that the Trade Federation had to impose a blockade because they were not being paid.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Naboo could have an upper class, with whom the only electable officials are found within. Then you add some sort of inane law to try and prevent corruption, such as only electing people from that class who are within the age bracket of 14 to 20 or some such nonsense, and then finally, a charismatic politician despite being a teenager, or at least, quite an exploitable one as viewed by a certain Nabooian Senator, and boom, Padme Amidala makes Queen just before the events of Phantom Menace.

Or to put it another way, Palpatine put someone in place who was disposable, and too young to have connections and protections from gathering a network of people over a lifetime of politicking, so that when things go badly, she'll rely on him for advice and direction, or if she doesn't make it to Coruscant, she'll be so in over her head regarding what to do, and make bad choices, which will lead to the situation getting worse, leading to the Trade Federation executing a teenager live on the Holonet. Boom, Palpatine is Chancellor due to the sympathy vote.

I'm sure Palpatine pulled his hair out a bit trying to keep the plan together as it kept on becoming unhinged due to Jedi and chosen one interference.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Robovski wrote:I feel there was a generational shift due to a huge surge in birthday coming off voting age (let's say 14) on Naboo and so she was elected Queen because she had a few million followers on Naboo-book, making a mockery of the traditional political parties. She then mis-managed affairs badly enough that the Trade Federation had to impose a blockade because they were not being paid.
Is there any evidence that Padme was actually a poor leader? More so than the typical Star Wars politician, anyway?

According to Attack of the Clones, after all, people tried to amend the constitution so she could have another term. So that suggests that she was rather popular. But then, being a victorious wartime leader will tend to do that.

And, I mean, their are numerous examples in our history of teenagers being put in positions of authority. Its not desirable, and it wouldn't happen nowadays as a rule, but kings inheriting the throne as teenagers happened. Hell, high-ranking teenage military officers happened at various points in history.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

My Transformers headcanon (not 100% in line with official stories) regarding female transformers.
They aren't male or female. When interacting with humans they'll assume a gender that they think best fits human expectations (especially those of the culture they'll be interacting with) given the transformer's personality.
Which means someone who actually is an attack helicopter can identify as female, at least for human interaction.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Darth Wedgius wrote:My Transformers headcanon (not 100% in line with official stories) regarding female transformers.
They aren't male or female. When interacting with humans they'll assume a gender that they think best fits human expectations (especially those of the culture they'll be interacting with) given the transformer's personality.
Which means someone who actually is an attack helicopter can identify as female, at least for human interaction.
That sort of aligns with some of the old Marvel comics stories; there was one where the Autobots come under fire from feminists for not having any female transformers and when they tried to explain they have no inherent gender, the protestors would have none of it, so the Autobots custom built a female transformer to placate them (I believe it was the comics' explanation for Arcee looking so Barbie's Dreamformer).
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Getting off Star Wars...

Aladdin

There is a theory that Aladdin actually takes place in a post apocalyptic future. I love this idea, it is so intriguing to think how it could explain some parts of the story. Like how Agrabah looks Arabian but seems more like a western kingdom.

Predator

What is the ultimate prey? Obviously, the greatest prey would be the most deadly. So, which species is it? I think there is like this on going debate among the Predator over what is more deadly, man or xenomorph? It would explain why the Predators continued to hunt humans even when they had access to xenomorphs for thousands of years.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

phantom000 wrote:
Predator

What is the ultimate prey? Obviously, the greatest prey would be the most deadly. So, which species is it? I think there is like this on going debate among the Predator over what is more deadly, man or xenomorph? It would explain why the Predators continued to hunt humans even when they had access to xenomorphs for thousands of years.
Surely the deadliest prey would be other Predators?
That aside is there anything that says they only hunt the deadliest prey? Maybe they hunt humans as easy prey to unwind between hunting deadlier ones, or hunt them as beginner prey before they're old/skilled enough to give xenomorphs a crack.
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Dînadan wrote:
phantom000 wrote:
Predator

Surely the deadliest prey would be other Predators?
That aside is there anything that says they only hunt the deadliest prey? Maybe they hunt humans as easy prey to unwind between hunting deadlier ones, or hunt them as beginner prey before they're old/skilled enough to give xenomorphs a crack.
Maybe they only hunt prey that is harming or overpopulating their planet. That is how hunting permits are set up in the US. We only hunt as wildlife management.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

phantom000 wrote:Getting off Star Wars...

Aladdin

There is a theory that Aladdin actually takes place in a post apocalyptic future. I love this idea, it is so intriguing to think how it could explain some parts of the story. Like how Agrabah looks Arabian but seems more like a western kingdom.
LOL, maybe it's set a thousand years after Beyond Thunderdome where Sydney used to be. The kids and other weirdos who founded a community there started archaeological expeditions for more and more fairy tales and decided to settle on a copy of 'Arabian Nights' as their bible and religion. :P
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

HBO's Westworld took place in Earth space in the Star Trek Universe.

So Earth government put a ban on android development unless it was using positronic tech (whatever that technobabble means), which explains why we don't see any droids until TNG.