Scifi megacorps are always cheapskates

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Scifi megacorps are always cheapskates

Post by GreyICE »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm thats more of a could you please fix this, not a fine them sort of issue, because its a minor nomenclature issues. if they left it yes i would fine them on the next visit but if its the first time give them a chance to fix it.

though right now i just wish they would give us a bigger budget at work. because we are so under staffed we are slipping on how fast we can do anything because we don't have enough people to do anything -we are all doing 5 jobs at a time. why don't these idiots just give us more hour to run the store or at the very least PAY ME MORE for the pain it causes me, if i was paid better i wouldn't mind it so much.
Again, I honestly feel like McAvoy understands, $500 is a polite request to change something. The scales one of these companies works at is just so frighteningly large it's that way. We regularly wracked up $10,000 expenses like they were nothing. We had one part where we were junking $150 grinding wheels every two of them, and we were making dozens. Just wee, toss the grinding wheel, that's done. And the people making the part were making $40-60/hour, don't worry. Our starting positions for low stress shit were like $25-35/hour. We didn't pay people to fuck up.

Retail runs on systemic abuse. You're seeing a bit of it. Industrial and commercial, we know that we want smart employees that stick with us. Retail? Oh god. There's a few retail stores that actually try to pay people like $15-20/hour and they get great results, but most places underpay people, burn them out, then move on to the next one.

There's this entire underclass of retail workers who have been systemically abused until they finally got out of it.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i agree as part of that underclass, though there is another issue, the lazy people on staff i keep finding work half done or someones taken a short cut, its one reason we are so behind i -and some of the others keep having to fix the shit jobs people did, plus i keep dealing with the issues my old managers propagated. the people putting out the product take a cart of unsorted books and then walk back and forth with only a few in hand taking 3 times longer to do the job instead of getting another empty card sorting through a larger batch and taking them all out at once instead of wasting time walking back and froth. it drives me nuts, i work the front desk most of the time but i usually take one card sort the entire contents then it takes me a fraction of the time to put all of it out.

i wonder if its a similar case with some of the safety things that we see mega corps doing they disable a safety because they think its useless and slowing things down but what they really need to do is be more efficient with what people are doing
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:01 pm i agree as part of that underclass, though there is another issue, the lazy people on staff i keep finding work half done or someones taken a short cut, its one reason we are so behind i -and some of the others keep having to fix the shit jobs people did, plus i keep dealing with the issues my old managers propagated. the people putting out the product take a cart of unsorted books and then walk back and forth with only a few in hand taking 3 times longer to do the job instead of getting another empty card sorting through a larger batch and taking them all out at once instead of wasting time walking back and froth. it drives me nuts, i work the front desk most of the time but i usually take one card sort the entire contents then it takes me a fraction of the time to put all of it out.

i wonder if its a similar case with some of the safety things that we see mega corps doing they disable a safety because they think its useless and slowing things down but what they really need to do is be more efficient with what people are doing
Eh, here's the thing. When you're paying people $9/hour you don't squint hard at efficiency, because you know you're paying shit for workers who are often shit. Back when I was 15 I worked as a library shelver, and I used to do what you suggested - sort everything, then go out and shelve in alphabetical order, never move my cart more than a row as everything went back. Saves a ton of time shelving every Stephen King book that came back in 15 seconds. But a bunch of my coworkers didn't, and again, don't squint at things with a pay grade that low (it was actually $5.15/hour for me, but I can actually do math on inflation).

When you're spending $50/hour on someone, you figure out why something took three hours instead of three minutes. And if it needed to, it needed to. Mostly the rushing is less because people are being inefficient elsewhere, and more because of fucking dumb shit. Like "every part from China came in wrong, so now we need to re-weld a whole bunch of brackets because purchasing saved us 50% (read: $200/part) ordering from china, so now someone has to angle grind and re-weld every fucking goddamn bracket because our Chinese suppliers can't do the simplest, most basic shit in the entire goddamn universe (drill the holes AFTER WELDING not before you goddamn ninnies, there are high schoolers that could tell you that). We allocate sufficient time on the floor for everything to be made, that's scheduling, but when shit goes wrong that's when schedules start getting torn up.

God I hated manufacturing. Don't miss it at all. Let me tell you, sales or purchasing is behind 80% of the fire drills.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:01 pm i agree as part of that underclass, though there is another issue, the lazy people on staff i keep finding work half done or someones taken a short cut, its one reason we are so behind i -and some of the others keep having to fix the shit jobs people did, plus i keep dealing with the issues my old managers propagated. the people putting out the product take a cart of unsorted books and then walk back and forth with only a few in hand taking 3 times longer to do the job instead of getting another empty card sorting through a larger batch and taking them all out at once instead of wasting time walking back and froth. it drives me nuts, i work the front desk most of the time but i usually take one card sort the entire contents then it takes me a fraction of the time to put all of it out.

While low pay is an issue. I am not certain it is the primary issue when it comes to bad retail employees and the enthusiasm to do things right. And my best example comes from me working one store under three different managers. The first wasn't there long after I was hired. We did our work and it was meh. Not great but not bad. We stocked and our customers were generally satisfied.
Next came a lady named Heather. She lead from the front. Worked hard and asked you to follow. We did, working to complete more than we had before. Learning more about what we sold so even stock people who normally left when the store opened could help customers. Re did planagrams all night so the store would be as close to perfect as we could make it. All on the same pay. Then Heather got work twenty miles closer to her home. We were sad to see her go, but glad she would at least not have the long commutes.
Then came Cindy. Cindy hated men and assumed any woman was automatically smarter than a man. She hired an extra manager to be above the receiving manager we already had. Restricted all women to not lift anything greater than five pounds. And put the guy who usually fixed issues with the computers and the like sweeping. Morale went through the floor. We obeyed her rules as any suggestions to do anything other or in excess of those rules was a public chewing out. She had the man who had been successfully running the dock for years without incident work on stacking large barbeque grills by himself since she had not scheduled any other men that day. And no woman could help him. Do it or be fired. He tried and went to the hospital in an ambulance having damaged his back.
After that no one cared. We did the bare minimum of her orders and looked for new work.
All of that on same pay. So I think there is a management issue.
Years later shopping at a local Walmart we knew several people there. The manager that opened the store was great. Trained his people well and the place was good. He transferred to another store. And soon the next guy hired his friends and family. So on and so forth. And it slowly fell apart as the old guard was pushed out and the ones that didn't care were put in charge and few floor people seemed to last very long.

TL;DR I think it might have more to do with how a manager is than just how much you make an hour.
As I have heard often. People don't quit jobs. They quit managers.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

the only thing thats still the same at this store after 8 years is me, we finally got a good manager but i had a similar problem with the last 2 we had, the one before them was a good guy but i think he was not a great judge of character, slow after he left they promoted newer people over the people who had been there longer and its an insult to say the least especially when most of the time their hanging out not working in the back room, while the people like me are working had to get stuff done. the worse part is that its like you mentioned friends, getting hired and promoted its not just that its the like minded people or stupid people who blindly do what they tell them to do. and they do it badly like one of the people whos been here for about a year or more came in the other day in shorts -the dress code is pants only, but the previous manager had told him it was fine. i never heard this form her so i suspect since i was there the longest and im one of those people who is a stickler for the rules, though im willing to bend them if its something stupid, i was getting a different set of rules from the others, i think she told people things like it didn't matter and just put them out. i think she and the others who she promoted to run the place didn't do the job, they just covered their asses.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As one of the villains in VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE: REDEMPTION said, "I didn't get to be this rich by paying my debts."
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i can see that, though i would also expect vampires or other immortals to do the trick were they take out a bunch of loans and such then fake their death, easy if yoru immortal and then run off with the money.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:41 am i can see that, though i would also expect vampires or other immortals to do the trick were they take out a bunch of loans and such then fake their death, easy if yoru immortal and then run off with the money.
In VTR/VTM lore that runs into problems. Vampires are nesting/territorial predators - they don't like to move much. You can claim that you're not Steve, you're Steve's nephew all you want, but the banks will dig into it and it gets you publicity.

Safer to start a business, make some sweet deals, and then slide into the shadows while people handle the day-to-day stuff.

chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:45 pm
chaos42 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:41 am i can see that, though i would also expect vampires or other immortals to do the trick were they take out a bunch of loans and such then fake their death, easy if yoru immortal and then run off with the money.
In VTR/VTM lore that runs into problems. Vampires are nesting/territorial predators - they don't like to move much. You can claim that you're not Steve, you're Steve's nephew all you want, but the banks will dig into it and it gets you publicity.

Safer to start a business, make some sweet deals, and then slide into the shadows while people handle the day-to-day stuff.
im not familiar with that series -i only know it in passing, im just referencing an old trick immortal beings do in some stories were they are immortal, many don't nest per say. also ya the trick is usually pass it on to a family member that looks just like you or like in highlander -the first one -the good one, he used the names and identities of still borns to create a new identity ever few years.

being immortal has an entire series of problems but their not impossible to deal with after all times on your side.