The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Orville

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Your people sells parts of your body after you die, yes?
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 am Your people sells parts of your body after you die, yes?
Nope given away for free.
I got nothing to say here.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:43 pm Data is a comedy goldmine.
Quark and Odo would like a word about that.

Little Green Men is still funny to me after all these years. Odo and Quarks quarrels are always gold mines.
Indeed, Odo and Quark moments together were always brilliant, I personally love the one in "The Way of the Warrior" with Quark ready to defend his bar only for his gun to have been borrowed by Rom for spare parts, Odo's remark was hilarious.

I also love the Ferengi episodes (excluding "Profit and Lace") in Deep Space Nine myself, my personal favourites are "House of Quark" and "The Magnificent Ferengi."
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:04 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 am Your people sells parts of your body after you die, yes?
Nope given away for free.
I'm just going to ask them to surprise me.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:26 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:43 pm Data is a comedy goldmine.
Quark and Odo would like a word about that.

Little Green Men is still funny to me after all these years. Odo and Quarks quarrels are always gold mines.
Indeed, Odo and Quark moments together were always brilliant, I personally love the one in "The Way of the Warrior" with Quark ready to defend his bar only for his gun to have been borrowed by Rom for spare parts, Odo's remark was hilarious.

I also love the Ferengi episodes (excluding "Profit and Lace") in Deep Space Nine myself, my personal favourites are "House of Quark" and "The Magnificent Ferengi."
I even like that one episode where Quark tries his best his have Odo do something for Kira to distract him. In the end Odo knowing what Quark is doing, but let's it go. Always loved their interactions.

Those two episodes are great too.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Okay, so I haven't been here in a while (life intruppted) but I am hearing a rumor that the Orville has been cancelled. Is that true or not?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

cilantro wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 am Okay, so I haven't been here in a while (life intruppted) but I am hearing a rumor that the Orville has been cancelled. Is that true or not?
I heard it but I don't think it was confirmed.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

"and a third is scheduled to air on Hulu in late 2020"

Well that's something
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

cilantro wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:55 am Okay, so I haven't been here in a while (life intruppted) but I am hearing a rumor that the Orville has been cancelled. Is that true or not?
There are rumors that the upcoming season on Hulu will be its last, but that's unconfirmed, and has been denied by some people working on the show.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

It was stated that they needed more captains. Mercer isn't supposed to be the best of the best. Though whether or not they really needed more captains or not is in doubt, because Mercer's ex put in a good word for him.

Mercer isn't my favorite character on the show, TBH, but that doesn't mean I don't like the character. I could have said the same for many of the TNG characters during the first season. He's emotionally immature, but I don't think it's affected his job performance in any serious way. He did the mature thing at the end of the pilot and asked his XO to stay because she was good for the ship, even if she was painful for him to be around. That might have even been the wrong decision, but he had the right motivations.

Even Picard's judgement was possibly compromised for apparently emotional reasons. He fell in love with a scientist on board and when she was in danger he was unduly obsessed with her safety; she ended up leaving. He took the Enterprise on a search for clues left by his mentor to find ancient knowledge in what turned out to have apparently good reason, and at least ended up with information that was scientifically interesting (regardless that I thought it was a really stupid story point).

Compare Archer, who's performance is compromised by his immaturity.