A Look at Archer

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: A Look at Archer

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:00 am
J!! wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Huh. I did not know that. I wonder if it was on his watch that Vulcan got blowed up.
According to this site.
https://time.com/4952491/star-trek-timeline/

No. That happened in 2233, 41 years after he was out of office.
And he would have been 121 if he was still alive. The 'Admiral Archer' referred to by Scotty would be his child or grand child most likely. (And really unlikely to be Porthos)
Well it's probable Archer bred his dog so he could help prepare an ally species to conquer the galaxy.

Though I admit I could see Archer as a crotchety old man wandering around Starfleet Academy, it probably would be his child since otherwise he'd be President Archer.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:26 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm A big problem with this show is that he is an allegory for Bush pretty much.
No, then he'd need Mayweather whispering how a war with Andoria would be good.
You're seriously gonna look at the two side by side and tell me that that's not what they were going for?

A man whose father paved the way for him to set out his neoconservative agenda across states?
..What mirror universe? ;/
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm A big problem with this show is that he is an allegory for Bush pretty much.
You're seriously gonna look at the two side by side and tell me that that's not what they were going for?

A man whose father paved the way for him to set out his neoconservative agenda across states?
While I doubt that was what the writers were thinking or going for, otherwise they might have actually done something with that, it doesn't make the supposed hero of the series look good if that's who he is being compared to.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yes, actually, because his father was a mechanical engineer.

The Xindi war is a romanticized Iraq War but that was three years in.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Yes, actually, because his father was a mechanical engineer.

The Xindi war is a romanticized Iraq War but that was three years in.
Well I probably would never call it an allegory really. Though the two are reminiscent.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I know I've called S3 the 9/11 season, but it still kinda bugs me that the producers did their best to make it an allegory to the war on terror. Not to diminish the deaths in that, but at no point in the war on terror was America nor any other Western culture under threat of being wiped out like Earth and humanity was in the show. There might, but only might, be an argument on how far Archer was prepared to go with the abandonment of morals and ideals to preserve humanity in the face of utter extinction, but that certainly does not apply to the US/UK alliance. What we did in the face of inconvenience was monstrous, but what Archer did in the face of extinction was desperation.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:35 pm I know I've called S3 the 9/11 season, but it still kinda bugs me that the producers did their best to make it an allegory to the war on terror. Not to diminish the deaths in that, but at no point in the war on terror was America nor any other Western culture under threat of being wiped out like Earth and humanity was in the show. There might, but only might, be an argument on how far Archer was prepared to go with the abandonment of morals and ideals to preserve humanity in the face of utter extinction, but that certainly does not apply to the US/UK alliance. What we did in the face of inconvenience was monstrous, but what Archer did in the face of extinction was desperation.
There's a lot here, up and unto the fact that it would require the war to be against, say the Romulans instead of the Xindi because someone was convinced the Xindi were armed by the Romulans only to find out the Romulans didn't have anything to do with it (and a new Xindi-Romulan Alliance was created called, say, S.U.R.A.K). There's a bit of that with the Sphere Builders but the Xindi were actually involved in the attack on Earth.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That's a new one on me.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 pm
That's a new one on me.
Not an allegory, but like how GTA did a Lindsay Lohan satire.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Link8909 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:54 am I think the "Never Fail" statement is given undo attention.

Because Archer fails all the time.
As Chuck pointed out in his look at Archer, this explains Archers behaviour throughout Star Trek Enterprise, as far as Archer is concerned he is always right and never really questions his own decisions, never willing to admit to making a bad call or taking responsibility for his actions, it's everyone else thats wrong, which leads him to being portrayed as this arrogant and pigheaded dumbass who fumbles across the galaxy causing more harm than good, and things only working out for him because the writers say so and keep trying to tell us that this racist prick is the best of humanity and can do no wrong.

As you can tell, much like Chuck, I have a very low opinion on Archer.
There is an episode after he gets back from the expanse and confesses his guilt in some of the things he had to do save the humanity.