TOR Bounty Hunter

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Re: TOR Bounty Hunter

Post by MightyDavidson »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:50 am
MightyDavidson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:47 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:09 am
MightyDavidson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:36 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:53 pm
MightyDavidson wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:35 pm
FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 pm I'm having trouble with The Lone Rose's backstory here.

"Some Republic recruiter turned his nose up at me, so I became a murderer and slaver."

I mean, in the end, that line about talk, that applies to the Lone Rose as well.
But he's not a slaver. He's not trafficking humans or any other sapient species in the games and there's no quest in the game that requires him to do so. As for murder, he's gone out of his way to bring back most of the bounties in alive even the Jedi who framed him for terrorism. Most of the people his character killed were folks who attacked him first so it was self defense, which even the most light sided character in the game has to do.
Pretty sure that bit in the last video about slave collars kind of puts him in the slaver category. At best, it's taking hostages.
Taking hostages is not engaging in slavery. Especially as he clearly stated that he let them go.
No, he stated that he was bluffing, and he had to do things the hard way. The hard way being to then shoot them all.
Watch the video dude, after the fight is over he very clearly states that he let the hostages go.
You're right.

Still, the Lone Rose, for all his talk, is someone who murders, kidnaps, and all sorts of other things to get his way.
And does he ever claim that he doesn't do those things? No. He has a code that he sticks to whenever he possibly can and he dislikes violating it. He'll do what's necessary to get the job done but as stated in the videos, he prefers not to kill unless he's given no other choice. He is what he is and he does not deny it, nor does he make apologies for it.

Meanwhile the Republic and the Jedi, at least the ones the Lone Rose has run into, claim to be all noble and honorable. They claim that they accept everybody but the Republic wouldn't let him into their officer training school because he was a Cathar. The Jedi claimed to not be about revenge but went out of their way to try and get it, stooping to all the dirty tricks that they kept claiming they were above. Engaging in lies and corruption, framing him for crimes he didn't commit all the while claiming to be better and more noble then him. They claim to be better, but it's all talk.
Philistine
Redshirt

Post by Philistine »

FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:21 pm I'm having trouble with The Lone Rose's backstory here.

"Some Republic recruiter turned his nose up at me, so I became a murderer and slaver."

I mean, in the end, that line about talk, that applies to the Lone Rose as well.
At what point in the BH story does the PC engage in taking or trading slaves? Your companions all choose to travel with you (except for the ship's droid - but that's a WHOLE 'nother can of worms), and it's not like you have a bunch of property of any kind off your ship. Unless you just mean TLR became a slaver by virtue of joining the Mandalorians, a culture known for being hyper-aggressive genocidal slave-taking psychopaths. In which case... yeah, okay.

BH was always my least favorite of the Imp side stories, and the story's tight ties to the Murderlorians and their "culture" (spit!) was a big part of that. I just could never get very invested in a story about trying to make a good impression on and eventually join the actual Worst People in the entire Galaxy Far, Far Away. (The Sith are nasty, but then they're literally Powered By Evil; what's the Merde-os excuse?) The other thing was that the whole story just felt really optional, like there was nothing really keeping my character from just leaving and going off to do anything else at all. The other stories all gave my character a real stake in events, as my character's life, freedom, and/or sanity were pretty much always on the line. The BH, not so much: even when being hunted by the Republic, it felt like my Hunter could at any time sell the ship, step out of the armor, and disappear with a set of forged credentials, which would solve the Hunter's problems just as well (and much more easily) than the whole Act 3 "Take the Fight to the Republic" campaign.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The Lone Rose is a hired gun and assassin.

This is the character.

It's just he's not a particularly big JERK about it. Which is an interesting take on the subject.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey when did Chuck criticized Knight of the fallen empire?
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:11 pm Hey when did Chuck criticized Knight of the fallen empire?
Practically every review he's done of SWTOR. What he hasn't done is a full review of KotFE itself... yet.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Is it me or did the Jedi knights look like a Jedi version of Tim from Dragon age.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

FaxModem1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:50 am You're right.

Still, the Lone Rose, for all his talk, is someone who murders, kidnaps, and all sorts of other things to get his way.
"I'm not responsible for killing people who try to stop me from doing what I choose to do" - a bank robber shooting security could claim the same. The Lone Rose isn't the biggest jerk out there but he's still responsible whenever he took on a job where people were prepared to stop him; whether or not that's justified depends on the exact situation.

Of course games are always going to have issues like that in order to give the player something to do.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

The BH story is heavily tied to the Mandalorians, and is the best vehicle for being one in the game. But I felt it was rather predictable to play as a Mando. So I thought I'd take a different take on him, using Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock as a starting point: make him a highly-capable genius. And the exchange, "I'm the closest thing he has to a friend." "And what's that?" "An enemy." Also Absolutely Sweet Marie by Bob Dylan, about someone not delivering on their promises, and also the line "But to live outside the law, you must be honest."

But the BH tale is also about how they assemble a crew. So the intent was to take someone who had every reason to resent all the powers that be, and is convinced that everyone out there is your friend only so long as you're more valuable than the price of selling you out. Hence calling himself "the Lone Rose," he can't imagine that he can trust other people to have his back when it all goes pear-shaped. His journey, then, is discovering it doesn't have to be the way he always thought it was, that loyalty and words about ideals can be true and not just a sham used to get what people want.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Thebestoftherest
Captain

True that Chuck, hey what race you using for the Jedi Knight?
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:03 pm True that Chuck, hey what race you using for the Jedi Knight?
Straight human by the looks of the teaser.