Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by McAvoy »

Zargon wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:23 am The term 'woke' is losing its meaning. The term is being sloganised by a cult of social justice. Being woke is being inherently connected to the identitarian left.

Rather than confronting bad ideas or race equity culture issues through discussion, debate or protest, woke people aim now to intimidate their detractors into silence. This coupled with speeches of hate, and forcing their illiberal ideologies on others, is what sums up the woke culture of today.
That's one way of describing it. How about you describe it how you think Disney views it if you think Disney was or is involved in woke politics?

Or make it in what you think how the left looks at it?
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Zargon wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:23 am The term 'woke' is losing its meaning. The term is being sloganised by a cult of social justice. Being woke is being inherently connected to the identitarian left.

Rather than confronting bad ideas or race equity culture issues through discussion, debate or protest, woke people aim now to intimidate their detractors into silence. This coupled with speeches of hate, and forcing their illiberal ideologies on others, is what sums up the woke culture of today.
So woke means nothing, except it does mean a culture trying to silence people like you.

Tell me, have any of these attempts by "woke culture" to silence somebody prominent ever gotten that person to actually shut up?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Given plenty of people SELF-IDENTIFY as woke, it's not exactly a very good pejorative.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

The first time I saw it was by 9/11 truthers who were talking about being woke as in “wake up sheeple, 9/11 was an inside job.”

So in what context? Because I’ve been enjoying how for 15 years or so you can spot obvious idiots by the fact they use the word.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 am The first time I saw it was by 9/11 truthers who were talking about being woke as in “wake up sheeple, 9/11 was an inside job.”

So in what context? Because I’ve been enjoying how for 15 years or so you can spot obvious idiots by the fact they use the word.
The current internet definition of "woke" is a white straight person, usually male, who has become awakened to the systemic injustices of minorities, trans, gays, or women.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Phipps is accurately describing current usage, but I’d be remiss not to note that the term comes from Black communities, where “woke” was a shorthand for “aware That the police will go out of their way to harass and never help you” among other similar meanings (I could be off in how precise the original usage was).

You can kinda see how it morphed into “aware of systemic oppression” and from there into meaningless fluff.

But for a corporate like Disney it’s basically “see? We know The Struggle and we empathize honest!”, in varying degrees of sincerity depending on the artists involved.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah woke in particular is more black slang.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:43 am

That's one way of describing it. How about you describe it how you think Disney views it if you think Disney was or is involved in woke politics?

Or make it in what you think how the left looks at it?
Like I keep saying: define 'Great' and 'Again'... and maybe 'America'.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Huh, apparently lots of ways to use it.

So at this point it's just Schrodinger's word?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:26 pm Huh, apparently lots of ways to use it.

So at this point it's just Schrodinger's word?
It's pretty much used in any sort of context of 'being woken up' to something that you closed your eyes to or whatever.

Even to some dumb ideas like Flat Earth or Evolution is a lie.
I got nothing to say here.