Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by ProfessorDetective »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 am
GreyICE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:26 pm Huh, apparently lots of ways to use it.

So at this point it's just Schrodinger's word?
It's pretty much used in any sort of context of 'being woken up' to something that you closed your eyes to or whatever.

Even to some dumb ideas like Flat Earth or Evolution is a lie.
'Taking the Red Pill' was a similar phrase... Until the alt-right latched onto it. The Watchoskis are MAD about that one.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well yeah, when has any "Redpilled" person ever believed a black guy and a woman telling him his perception of reality is wrong?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:00 am Well yeah, when has any "Redpilled" person ever believed a black guy and a woman telling him his perception of reality is wrong?
Perception of reality is a strong term. It's not really a matter of the average person's perception of things, it's understanding history and social implications on a broad scale.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:08 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:00 am Well yeah, when has any "Redpilled" person ever believed a black guy and a woman telling him his perception of reality is wrong?
Perception of reality is a strong term. It's not really a matter of the average person's perception of things, it's understanding history and social implications on a broad scale.
Pretty much. Something you were taught or told or learned from a young age. That thing (insert whatever) what you thought as truth, even defines you or what you do. Turns out it's a lie. Cognitive Dissonance would be the opposite of this. Your refusal to accept the 'truth'.

It's a very broad thing that anyone can use.
I got nothing to say here.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well, Disney like many others, has been pushing "being woke" for the last couple years....to nearly no effect.

The traditional regular folk don't even notice it, even if a huge deal is made by it. They still judge things by how good they are to them. It does not matter if the main character is a non-white "something special or other", it matters if the fiction is good or not.

And, laughingly, the ''target fans" of woke stuff....just don't care. Disney bends over backwards to make X "So Woke".....and they simply don't buy it much and don't make Disney that much money.

Disney, like most others, was sold on the lie that there were "so many woke fans" just dying to throw tons of money at Disney, if Disney could just be So Woke.......but that is not happening.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Disney is making an effort to be more inclusive, but woke?

Being woke entails a broader outlook than substantiating 3rd wave feminist heroes.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Zargon wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 am Well, Disney like many others, has been pushing "being woke" for the last couple years....to nearly no effect.
What makes you say that?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I guarantee you if DS9 was actually an upcoming show in 2020 there would have been a small but vocal fanbase derogatorily referring to Sisko as "Captain Affirmative Action".

Oh wait, that shit actually happened in 1993. Because fans CAN be toxic regardless of any era's political climate.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:31 am I guarantee you if DS9 was actually an upcoming show in 2020 there would have been a small but vocal fanbase derogatorily referring to Sisko as "Captain Affirmative Action".
Except Sisko is a perfect example of normal (aka not woke or affirmative or anything). Sisko is a human being that just happens to have dark skin. (and Sisko is my favorite captain).

And Star Trek is not owned by Disney..........yet :)
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Zargon wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:46 am
Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:31 am I guarantee you if DS9 was actually an upcoming show in 2020 there would have been a small but vocal fanbase derogatorily referring to Sisko as "Captain Affirmative Action".
Except Sisko is a perfect example of normal (aka not woke or affirmative or anything). Sisko is a human being that just happens to have dark skin. (and Sisko is my favorite captain).

And Star Trek is not owned by Disney..........yet :)
Well. Let's see. He was cast out of dozens of actors to play the part. In this day and age, do you not think there would have been fans who thought he was cast because he was black? Then think back then, he was the first black person to be in command of a ship or station in Trek. Do you not think there was fans who thought it was because of 'being woke'?

Now, of course all of that is forgotten because he did such a great job in his role and DS9 arguably is the best Trek.
I got nothing to say here.