DIS - The Red Angel

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: DIS - The Red Angel

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I would love if they took that it logical extreme for an April fool's episode, and have the captain an infant.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

FYI - As I understand it, DISCO is permanently abandoning the 23rd century for the 33rd. So it may well be Andromeda from now on.

It's not a one off plot.

I actually am really upset by this.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:15 pm FYI - As I understand it, DISCO is permanently abandoning the 23rd century for the 33rd. So it may well be Andromeda from now on.

It's not a one off plot.

If STD had started in the 33rd century it would have shut people like me up who hated it from before day 1 for its canon breaks. And genuinely, I think its people like me are the reason why they decided to jump it a thousand years.
Season 1 - Deeply controversial.
Season 2 - Attempted to repair it by bringing in old TOS characters and iconography.
Season 3 - Fuck it, lets reboot the show.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:23 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:15 pm FYI - As I understand it, DISCO is permanently abandoning the 23rd century for the 33rd. So it may well be Andromeda from now on.

It's not a one off plot.

If STD had started in the 33rd century it would have shut people like me up who hated it from before day 1 for its canon breaks. And genuinely, I think its people like me are the reason why they decided to jump it a thousand years.
Season 1 - Deeply controversial.
Season 2 - Attempted to repair it by bringing in old TOS characters and iconography.
Season 3 - Fuck it, lets reboot the show.
Kurtzman has said that it was because he wanted to stay in canon.There's an interview where he basically said he HATED the changes set up by Discovery and has been looking for a way to make them all fit in since Day 1.

So you're 100% correct.

It pisses me off because I like the show as is and has defended it from the beginning. I feel like I, the fan, am getting thrown under the bus to appeal to people who didn't give it a shot in the first place. Where's the loyalty? Why should I continue watching when clearly my support didn't mean shit.

Ugh.

I hate being the entitled fan but it's like loving your house and then finding out someone remodeled it to appeal to the neighbors.
Last edited by CharlesPhipps on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2019/04/25/star-trek-discovery-breaking-free-canon/

Here's where he phrased some of it:

“Yes. We are jumping 950 years into the future for season three”

During that interview he cites canon a number of times.

“We love playing within canon. It’s a delight and a privilege. It’s fun to explore nooks and crannies of the universe that people haven’t fully explored yet. That being said, we felt strongly that we wanted to give ourselves an entirely new energy for season three with a whole new set of problems… We’re now completely free of canon, and we have a whole new universe to explore.”

When asked about any crossovers with characters from other Trek series Kurtzman says:

“There will be canonical references to everything that has happened in the various shows; we’re not erasing that. But we’re so far past that point that all of that is a very distant memory. We’re very excited to see how you put the elements of Star Trek in an entirely new universe”
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So you finally feel like the fans of Star Trek felt in regard to Abrams Trek and NuTrek? Grats, I suppose.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:10 pm Kurtzman has said that it was because he wanted to stay in canon.There's an interview where he basically said he HATED the changes set up by Discovery and has been looking for a way to make them all fit in since Day 1.
Klutzman has already demonstrated numerous times in the shows he's produced he doesn't know (or cares) about canon, at best he read some episode synopsis on Netflix, and that was only done as a half measure to try and not piss-off hardcore fans too much. Which of course he utterly failed at, since he even made a complete hash of his "research". Just see all the idiotic things he claims Star Trek is doing for the "first time" when it's all been done in Star Trek decades before.

On the plus side, STD season 3 isn't a "re-boot" of the show, it's the ending of it. Right now Netflix isn't even going to show it to international audiences, which should tell everyone what they need to know how "successful" it's been.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 amKlutzman has already demonstrated numerous times in the shows he's produced he doesn't know (or cares) about canon
You realize he literally wiped the entire show's canon out in order to make it fit into TOS, right?
Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 am On the plus side, STD season 3 isn't a "re-boot" of the show, it's the ending of it. Right now Netflix isn't even going to show it to international audiences, which should tell everyone what they need to know how "successful" it's been.
Yes, none of this is true. CBS All-Access is apparently watched exclusively for Star Trek, Love Island, and The Good Fight. The reason they want five Star Trek shows is that as expensive and controversial as they are, people are watching them and paying to do it.

How much of a success is DISCOVERY?

They're now showing it on CBS during the pandemic. Which means it's the first Star Trek television show on regular television since DS9. It also means that DISCO has effectively managed to redeem its budget completely by being a show that they can slide into empty timeslots.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is a picture of Alex Kurtzman.

* It's got FIVE spin offs so far (Short Treks, Section 31, Picard, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)
* It's being shown on CBS now, the actual network which means that it has justified it's budget over again. https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-1-to-air-on-cbs
* Its second season got over 10 million viewers, all of which is the PAID FOR service that means it's raking up cash. https://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings/
* It's the most watched show on All-Access by far.
* Parrotanalytics said it is the most in-demand streaming show of all time. https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-most-popular-streaming-show/
* It's getting an award for most media requested show of all time: https://www.parrotanalytics.com/press/star-trek-discovery-recognized-as-one-of-the-most-in-demand-digital-original-series-by-industry-awards/
* TV Guide put it on their Top 100 Best Shows (58 with The Walking Dead as 100): https://www.tvguide.com/news/features/100-best-shows-tv-right-now-2020/

Its not a failure.

It is a DISGUSTING success.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 amIts not a failure.

It is a DISGUSTING success.
It may have made it's money back and quite likely also made extra for them. But that is very different from being a disgusting success. Disgusting success would mean empty shelves where Star Trek toys used to be, Netflix and Amazon going into a bidding war to get Lower Decks and everything. The fact of the matter is, however, that the exact opposite happened. In a time where most people spend most of their time at home, quite likely using the new media to entertain them, none of the new or even old media feel the need to buy a "successful" show and distribute it world wide.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 am* It's got FIVE spin offs so far (Short Treks, Section 31, Picard, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)
Short Treks aren't a spin-off, they're an advert vehicle.
Section 31 is canceled.
Picard was an attempt to translate the nuTrek-style (brawns not brains and loads of spectacle) onto previous characters, in order to appeal to old fans. It was also a flop on Amazon and a damocles sword is hanging over the second season for more than one reason.
Lower Decks is an attempt at cashing in on a new concept that was often debated in the fandom (kudos for that), while at the same time capturing the fans of The Orville via all the wrong means (Trek fans are largely not watching The Orville for the humor).
Strange New Worlds is a TOS-reboot in order to make the brand viable again or at all, by trying to emphasize on Trek-elements while downplaying the nuTrek-style (action spectacle), in order to get old Trek-fans back on board again.

They wouldn't try to make "Strange New Worlds", if all the other shows were disgusting successes. They'd make more of those instead. The simple fact of the matter is, that Star Trek is the only thing that keeps CBS All Access alive. They have no other choice but creating spin-offs and reimaginings until they found the formula that makes them the most money. That or canning CBS All Access.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Spin-off I thought was a show conceived from a non-headlining character. As far as I could tell, Joey was as primary a character as anybody else in Friends and I think his show is still considered a spin-off, Friends wasn't really set from his perspective though compared to anyone else.
..What mirror universe?