SG1: Heroes

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

SG1: Heroes

Post by Jonathan101 »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s7e17.php
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: SG1: Heroes

Post by FaxModem1 »

I remember this episode making me cry when I first saw it.

It's good that there's almost no music throughout the episode. Because we're seeing mostly different perspectives on the same issue. Without the music coloring the various perspectives, we're left with their words and opinions on everything. So when Hammond is worried about his people, it's presented no differently than Bregman's concern about the freedom of the press, and Woolsey's worries about the waste of lives going into this.

All are valid perspectives, and they're being portrayed here.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

this ep got me thinking about that one ep of south park that made fun of ancient aliens and how the kids words were twisted with editing, ancient aliens and how i like to make fun of it the few times i see it(the memes :lol: ),and also of the very anti evolution"documentary film" expelled:no intelligence allowed(i got a headache form what little i had seen of it) and what it did :cry: :x .
DanteC
Officer

Post by DanteC »

I've never been a fan of Stargate, but the few episodes I did see, it always seemed the ones that were based on Earth were the most interesting. This episode was enjoyable, I liked watching O'Neil squirm, and Saul Rubinek makes everything watchable (he's fantastic in Person of Interest as well).
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Great review by Chuck.

And yeah, the ending of that episode always got me. It's an episode that came to mind about Skin of Evil when Chuck discussed how the writers wanted to portray a random death to show what the characters are doing is dangerous. Dr. Fraser's death is kinda random, but the episode makes something out of it, showing the bravery of those who face that danger.
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

on chuck talk about truth a good example on how truth can manipulate fact is the covington kids situation. If you see the video where you see a white kid just standing there in front of an indian you think "what a dochebag" particular when the press is saying Oh you can hear the crowd chanting slurs. But when you see the video from even greater length you see what really happen. Kids where waiting for a bus while they were being harresses by another group before they were approach by a third party. Something that was goggle within seconds of the incident left unreported and use to slander the true victims of the incident. There the fact and there is the truth. For the people making a certain agenda. The truth was just that short clip. For the rest it was the longer video. Either case we don't know what happen even prior to those events Nor why the people involve really do what they did. We just know the press had an agenda they wanted to push and they ignore the truth they didn't like to paint a picture for the public.

Now taking that with the situation with SG 1. Hamlin doesn't know how those picture will be film. Nor if someone with an ax to grind will edit in such a way to make his team or his people look bad. He has no clue if he when people see the footage what they really see. The actually truth that the editor want to use. Fact is you can't make a true a 20hours of footage not seem boring. People have to editing it out and when you editing thing out you leave some of the truth in the cutting room floor for good or ill
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Ghilz wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 pm Great review by Chuck.

And yeah, the ending of that episode always got me. It's an episode that came to mind about Skin of Evil when Chuck discussed how the writers wanted to portray a random death to show what the characters are doing is dangerous. Dr. Fraser's death is kinda random, but the episode makes something out of it, showing the bravery of those who face that danger.
Tasha Yar is a great comparison.

Where they went wrong with Tasha is:
A) She wasn't a character. That is why Denise Crosby left. In her own words, Gene all but outright told her that she was there solely to push out the chest of her uniform. Dr Fraser on the other hand was a very developed secondary character that we actually cared about and clearly wasn't there to be Dr Fanservice (which I would argue Lexa Doig AKA Andromeda would border on becoming later on).

B) Yar's death meant nothing. Fraser's death also kind of meant nothing in the grand scheme of things but it was still in the line of duty. She also did not have the crappiest blood splatter in history on her cheek after she died which helped.

C) The aftermath. Yar got a syrupy sweet holodeck recording that, as I noted above, tried to give her an importance to the crew that we the viewer never saw. The big one for me is Data. This and subsequent episodes would try to make out some kind of deep relationship between them, but all that really happened as far as we know is a drunken one night stand that Yar forbade him to talk about again. Not really surprising either considering that she is a woman from a planet with roaming rape gangs and now is having sex with a guy she otherwise wouldn't.
With Fraser however, the idea of comparing her to that hero who got shot through the head saving his buddy is just a better tribute to her memory all round.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

this ep shows one of the better ways to"randomly kill off a character" by showing them as a hero like a medic headed to save a life and getting shot down, (something happens far too often i am sad to say)and by doing it kinda off screen like they did, it hits you like a truck when you find out what happened :o :cry:.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:33 pm

this ep shows one of the better ways to"randomly kill off a character" by showing them as a hero like a medic headed to save a life and getting shot down, (something happens far too often i am sad to say)and by doing it kinda off screen like they did, it hits you like a truck when you find out what happened :o :cry:.

The extra sad part is Fraiser goes so rarely offworld, it doesn't really hit you that her dying is a possibility till it has happened. Like, I think it's her 2nd or third time offworld on screen. She goes offworld to treat the pod people, and later goes offworld to the planet who discovered Tretonin.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

I.

HATE.

This.

Episode.

I understand I'm in the minority on that. I get why others enjoy it, I get from a subjective standpoint why people would take a lot away from it emotionally and love it and all of the points that Chuck brought up during the review.

But I despise it. I hate how long it is. I hate that it kills off Dr. Frasier, I hate the randomness of her death, I hate the dramatic reasoning for it to add some drama in the story, I hate the documentarian and how aggressive he is and how much he wants to push his own damn version of events regardless of the positive spin he WANTS to give on the SGC and how he insists on having things be dramatic and how he can't seem to just stay the hell out of everyone's way. I hate how he tries to sell himself as some big truthteller and his damn sense of self-importance when in reality he's interfering in their regular routine and being a dick about people's privacy.

I just hate it and I cannot stand it. Like I said, I get that other people take away a lot more good from it, but it just makes me grind my teeth.