What is a good review for a newcomer to watch?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
A_Really_Big_Cat
Redshirt

What is a good review for a newcomer to watch?

Post by A_Really_Big_Cat »

I have a friend who I recommended sfdebris to and she's asking what she should watch; specifically what episodes I recommend. I can't think of any particularly good ones off the top of my head though. I'm looking for both particularly funny reviews and good opinionated philosophical reviews.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Re: What is a good review for a newcomer to watch?

Post by SFDebris »

A_Really_Big_Cat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 pm I can't think of any particularly good ones off the top of my head though.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. "Is there anything out there that rises to the level of adequate? I mean, anything really that gives the impression this was created by someone with working thumbs and knows at least a few letters of the alphabet? 'Cause come on, surely it's impossible that they're ALL shit, right?"
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

SFDebris wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 am
A_Really_Big_Cat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 pm I can't think of any particularly good ones off the top of my head though.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. "Is there anything out there that rises to the level of adequate? I mean, anything really that gives the impression this was created by someone with working thumbs and knows at least a few letters of the alphabet? 'Cause come on, surely it's impossible that they're ALL shit, right?"
There's a review of The Lost World that's perfect for pulling in younger viewers in this new internet age! I mean assuming anyone remembers what a "Lost World" is in this new generation. I think Gen Z would probably go "that's that Jayden Smith movie that bombed, right?"

In all seriousness, my recommendation is the review of "The Cloud".

- One of the early Voyager episodes in both the review continuity and the show continuity
- Contains rare praise of Neelix
- A manifestly stupid Voyager Episode
- Contains a great breakdown of how the performances are great in pursuit of a terrible, terrible script
- Some good philosophy on why this is really bad

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v806.php

If you want a good "what SF Debris is about" it's hard to beat The Cloud as a starting point. It also contains a great breakdown of "Voodoo Shark"
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

I'd do any of the Star Trek episodes Chuck has rated as an 8, 9, or 10 for their respective series. VOY Timeless, TNG Best of Both Worlds, DS9 In the Pale Moonlight, the Siege of AR-558. I don't think it's any coincidence that my favorite SFDebris videos, are also the best episodes/movies. But on the flipside I can't think of any bad SFDebris videos, I may disagree with Chuck from time to time, but I fully respect his opinions, and even moreso, how deeply he delves into coming up with his opinions. I keep a spreadsheet of all the Star Trek videos with their numerical rating, and do the Mean/Median/Mode by series and by season (yes, I'm a nerd). I think it's particularly telling that most of those numbers come out around 5. That proves (to me anyways) that Chuck truly goes for a balanced approach to his reviews.
Petike
Redshirt

Post by Petike »

First Contact, the Star Trek TNG episode, from the fourth season.

It has some thoughtful coda commentary in addition to the review itself.

Similarly, the episode Darmok, from that same series' fifth season, has the same treatment. Review, then a thoughtful video follow-up. Of other Star Trek series reviews, I could recommend the review of the DS9 episode Far Beyond the Stars and its follow-up and the review of the VOY episode Blink of an Eye and its follow-up.

Why am I recommending these reviews that also have analytical follow-ups ?

Because I think they best reflect Chuck's in-depth analytical style. Silly behaviour, serious analysis, as his slogan goes.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Sorry Chuck. Hahaha
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 pm
Sorry Chuck. Hahaha
You can rest assured that in any crossover with Linkara that any joke at my own expense is one of mine. :)
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Honestly I've used "The Child" as a good intro to people.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

It does have to be said that the original question is unfortunately phrased.

But to answer the question I would say that there are three versions of Chuck:

Professor Chuck who will go deep into a thoughtful subject and dissect it.
Geek Chuck who will demonstrate that he is a life long sci-fi and fantasy fan who can look at media with a fourth dimensional eye and sometimes gets passionate about what he loves and hates.
Comedian Chuck who is there just to make you laugh.

It all depends on which Chuck you want. Me I think his versatility is the secret to his longevity. That and constant hard work.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

A_Really_Big_Cat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 pm I have a friend who I recommended sfdebris to and she's asking what she should watch; specifically what episodes I recommend. I can't think of any particularly good ones off the top of my head though. I'm looking for both particularly funny reviews and good opinionated philosophical reviews.
the ATLA or one of the film reviews.folks know what they are watching and now they can see a review of it.