Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beastro
Captain

Re: Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

Post by Beastro »

The map showing what parts of the US were overrun and stuff always pissed me off given how they cut off Canada and what the lines of battle would be up here, since you know, we'd also be invaded and be a part of the same front.

It and the general feel of episodes rubs me the wrong way. I'm more than used to American-centric TV and have no problem with it, much of it I'm even fond of, but when it starts to detract from world building and ruining little details like that map I hold issue with it.

I wonder if they even bothered to consider it when they decided to make the map for the episode in the first place.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'd guess not. I can remember from the interviews at the time that they were more interested in making an anti-Bush statement by putting Nazi flags on the White House.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yaku
Redshirt

Post by Yaku »

Redem wrote:So I haven't seen the episodes in forever

Why did the alien dressed up as nazi?
That you really know who the Bad Guys are ;).

I found the Episode pretty boring, as most Trek Episodes with Nazis are.
Gul Dukat: War is such thirsty work. Don't you agree?
Weyoun: Perhaps if you didn't talk so much, your throat wouldn't get so dry.
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

Nazis in Star Trek were overdone about 5 minutes before the end of Patterns of Force. Everything about this two parter makes me facepalm to almost Night in Sickbay levels. On rewatches I just skip the two parter entirely and go straight to 'Home', which actually enhances the whole Xindi arc in much the same way 'Family' did to Best of Both Worlds.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Someone actually rewatches Enterprise?
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

J!! wrote:Someone actually rewatches Enterprise?
Yes, Chuck does; how else do you think he's able to give such comprehensive reviews?

;p
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Beastro wrote:The map showing what parts of the US were overrun and stuff always pissed me off given how they cut off Canada and what the lines of battle would be up here, since you know, we'd also be invaded and be a part of the same front.
Well obviously 40's Britain is like the Borg queen in that if you take them out all the dominions implode.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

GandALF wrote:
Beastro wrote:The map showing what parts of the US were overrun and stuff always pissed me off given how they cut off Canada and what the lines of battle would be up here, since you know, we'd also be invaded and be a part of the same front.
Well obviously 40's Britain is like the Borg queen in that if you take them out all the dominions implode.
Clearly Britain was the Empire's stiff upper lip and taking it out caused the Empire to collapse into an hysteric mess.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

It and the general feel of episodes rubs me the wrong way. I'm more than used to American-centric TV and have no problem with it, much of it I'm even fond of, but when it starts to detract from world building and ruining little details like that map I hold issue with it.

I wonder if they even bothered to consider it when they decided to make the map for the episode in the first place.
The British Government did have a contingency plan to relocate their seat of government to Canada if the British Isles fell, just as the Portuguese government had relocated to Brazil during the Napoleonic Wars. However, if Admiral X is correct, their point was not make sense but to score a cheap political point.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

Well if it followed the same geological front as the US I would say the canadian front also stopped at the Appalacians