Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
nebagram
Officer

Re: Enterprise: Space Nazi Two-parter

Post by nebagram »

J!! wrote:Someone actually rewatches Enterprise?
In as much as a 'rewatch' of seasons 1 and 2 typically takes about a weekend, I cut so much out.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

J!! wrote:Someone actually rewatches Enterprise?
I actually like most of season 4.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Admiral X wrote:I'd guess not. I can remember from the interviews at the time that they were more interested in making an anti-Bush statement by putting Nazi flags on the White House.
Because that's the absolute height of political commentary. If you disagree with someone, they're a nazi. It's like what's happening right now. Enterprise was a show ahead of its time.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

ENT S4 was fine - really, the only good season in the show. But I did not see most of it on the air, because like so many others, I gave up on the whole show at the end of "Zero Hour."

If they had just cut away from the explosion and we didn't know if Archer survived, that would still have been a cliffhanger. Not that it really seems reasonable to say that putting in a cliffhanger is the thing that saved the show for one more year.
animalia wrote:
Beastro wrote:The map showing what parts of the US were overrun and stuff always pissed me off given how they cut off Canada and what the lines of battle would be up here, since you know, we'd also be invaded and be a part of the same front...
Well if it followed the same geological front as the US I would say the canadian front also stopped at the Appalacians
If we give "too far too fast" as much weight as it deserves, then perhaps the Canadian front has been held to the east bank of the St. Lawrence River, or along it perhaps as far as Kingston. If it's more like the map of the US, with a lot of fighting in Ohio, that would put the front closer to Hamilton or London.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

I gotta say, I have trouble believing that "Naxies Win WW2" is Time Travel Scenario number 18. Like, it HAS to be in the top 3.

Like, there isn't 17 scenarios more common than this >_>
Sabre
Redshirt

Post by Sabre »

"...and admittedly, an orbital spaceship is a pretty potent weapon against an army whose primary means of moving its artillery is the horse."

I may have literally clapped my hands at that line. That might not be the popular image of the Wehrmacht, which tends to portray it as a high-tech mechanized striking force (panzers! Stukas! Paratroopers! Sturmgewehrs!), but it's entirely accurate: if we set aside the small fraction of elite mechanized/armored troops, the majority of the Wehrmacht was essentially a worse-trained, worse-motivated version of the footslogging armies of 1914.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

PerrySimm wrote:If we give "too far too fast" as much weight as it deserves, then perhaps the Canadian front has been held to the east bank of the St. Lawrence River, or along it perhaps as far as Kingston. If it's more like the map of the US, with a lot of fighting in Ohio, that would put the front closer to Hamilton or London.
An invasion of North America and whatever they were able to do to defeat the United States Navy, the RCN and whatever survived of the RN and the rest of the Allies would be that.

That's what I find the campiest part of this episode above all else, that the invasion is in North America takes place at all and how they're suddenly overextended taking over New England. How so far from what Germany was capable it's cartoonishly cute and if they could pull of a amphibious invasion like that across the Atlantic, let alone maintain it and keep it supplied, they wouldn't be overextended that quickly.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

bronnt wrote:Because that's the absolute height of political commentary. If you disagree with someone, they're a nazi. It's like what's happening right now. Enterprise was a show ahead of its time.
I think that the "anyone I don't like is a Nazi" idea has been around for quite a while before Enterprise. Humans really love their hyperbole.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Darn, I gotta agree that "Unnameed Nazi is probably not a good typecasting. I also laughed at Archer getting shot; which doesn't really bode well to getting into this.

Also, very interesting methods of time travel. It does make me wonder why don't people just fling around stars really fast more.

I laughed at the pathogen part; better patch it to not affect Japanese. Oh, they'll wipe Enterprise from existence. Ah, I'll try to look concerned.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Sabre wrote:"...and admittedly, an orbital spaceship is a pretty potent weapon against an army whose primary means of moving its artillery is the horse."

I may have literally clapped my hands at that line. That might not be the popular image of the Wehrmacht, which tends to portray it as a high-tech mechanized striking force (panzers! Stukas! Paratroopers! Sturmgewehrs!), but it's entirely accurate: if we set aside the small fraction of elite mechanized/armored troops, the majority of the Wehrmacht was essentially a worse-trained, worse-motivated version of the footslogging armies of 1914.
There's a lot to be said about the Wehrmacht's Facts versus Fiction, but worse-trained the soldiers were certainly not. If anything kept the war going as far and for as long as it did against all the odds, then it was doctrine, leadership and the simple foot-soldier. Obviously deterioration settles in towards the end of the war, where children and grandfathers were drafted.
Archon_Wing wrote:Darn, I gotta agree that "Unnameed Nazi is probably not a good typecasting. I also laughed at Archer getting shot; which doesn't really bode well to getting into this.

Also, very interesting methods of time travel. It does make me wonder why don't people just fling around stars really fast more.

I laughed at the pathogen part; better patch it to not affect Japanese. Oh, they'll wipe Enterprise from existence. Ah, I'll try to look concerned.
It would also be a perfect jump-off-point to explain, how and why the Star Trek timeline diverges so drastically from our reality. The Eugenics Wars are a much more "natural" development in a world, where german notions of the Übermensch became widespread, instead of a world where the arian Übermensch was crushed under the boot-heel of the oh so inferior slavic Untermensch. Now, for the sake of a better world instead of the Mirror Universe, Germany does not need to win the war, but merely be beaten into a situation were they can sue for an equal peace, instead of being forced into an unconditional surrender.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox