Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.queerty.com/jk-rowlings-new-book-man-dresses-like-woman-kill-people-20200914?utm_campaign=wp-to-twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Yikes.

This offends me both as a proponent of LGBTQ rights AND as a horror writer. Like, the 1960s called and they want their plot device back.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

Post by Madner Kami »

Leaving aside, that it's Rowling writing this of all people, but this storyline is problematic because ... ?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

To be fair, while a bad look, it could simply be she's inspired by Norman Bates versus making a transphobic political statement.

She IS a transphobe, though, and "could be" doesn't give her any reason to be trusted.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Ok I really really didn't expect her to just walk through into questionable implications of bigotry.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm Ok I really really didn't expect her to just walk through into questionable implications of bigotry.
Noone is ever the villain in their own story.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 am To be fair, while a bad look, it could simply be she's inspired by Norman Bates versus making a transphobic political statement.

She IS a transphobe, though, and "could be" doesn't give her any reason to be trusted.
As I tried to imply, I recognize who she is and what her stance on... transism (is that even a word?) is, but Fuzzy seems to not just take offense of Rowling being Rowling, but on the actual base of the story too, which strikes me as wierd. I don't see the reason about being personally offended, just because the antagonist or villainous protagonist has character-traits which are are congruent to traits of mine.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm Ok I really really didn't expect her to just walk through into questionable implications of bigotry.
Trump probably is.

For real though she may still be trolling.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pmTrump probably is.
No. That particular motherfucker thinks he's the only sane person on the planet and a superhero on top of it. He's much of the same caliber of self-delusion that Ayn Rand was and probably considers himself to be the real-life basis for John Galt. (And yes, I am aware that "Atlas Shrugged" was written before Trump was a thing, but do you really think that twat is aware of that or even cares? I wouldn't be surprised if he's either too stupid to realize that or actually really thinks, that his personality overshines reality and time.)
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm As I tried to imply, I recognize who she is and what her stance on... transism (is that even a word?) is, but Fuzzy seems to not just take offense of Rowling being Rowling, but on the actual base of the story too, which strikes me as wierd. I don't see the reason about being personally offended, just because the antagonist or villainous protagonist has character-traits which are are congruent to traits of mine.
Well, I think it's because of that isn't entirely accurate. The baddie in this one dresses as a woman so he can walk into a woman's washroom and kill women, which plays into the old anti-trans canard "Dudes are going to use trans bathroom rights to attack women in the bathroom". It's not even the case of "I like X, and you made X the villain".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 am To be fair, while a bad look, it could simply be she's inspired by Norman Bates versus making a transphobic political statement.

As I tried to imply, I recognize who she is and what her stance on... transism (is that even a word?) is...
I think the word you're looking for is 'transgenderism'.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

My response to anything celebrity related remains the same:

youtu.be/SlKao_Pox5A
Last edited by J!! on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.