Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

Post by GreyICE »

Why am I reminded of that idiot who stuck a dildo up his ass to "pwn the libs"? It's like, yes, you could try to learn something. Or you could try to be offensive. Oh yeah, you're going to do the second one, aren't you? Then you'll probably complain about the woke media about five seconds after unleashing this ridiculous crap.

Well I suppose there's nothing like aspiring to be as vile as people think you are.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 pmI think the word you're looking for is 'transgenderism'.
No. Cross-dressing doesn't make one transgender. Plus the way Fuzzy summed it up, makes it sound as if the cross-dressing doesn't happen because a biological man wants to be a woman either.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:17 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 pmI think the word you're looking for is 'transgenderism'.
No. Cross-dressing doesn't make one transgender. Plus the way Fuzzy summed it up, makes it sound as if the cross-dressing doesn't happen because a biological man wants to be a woman either.
Oops, might have misread the post. Was 'transism' meant to be 'racism but for trans folks'? If so, that's 'transphobia'. Oh, that is my bad... Sorry...
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

That's about as convincing as saying "no, this show isn't racist, it's starring white men! They just happen to be dressed in black greasepaint, have big red lips, and black curly wigs. Stop trying to connect this minstrel show to black people."
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm
Oops, might have misread the post. Was 'transism' meant to be 'racism but for trans folks'? If so, that's 'transphobia'. Oh, that is my bad... Sorry...
My apologies, I just reread my original post and in context I meant indeed transgenderism. I somehow conflated it with the apparent cross-dressing within the story that Fuzzy alluded to and was thus, neccessarily, at a loss of a suiting word.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

You mean the classist bougie TERF who's obsessed with social capital because she doesn't have to worry about physical capital anymore remains a classist bougie TERF who punches down while wearing a macabre skin of pseudo-liberalism like a grotesque mask?

Honestly, we'd be better off just ignoring Rowling entirely. Let her spend the rest of her life enjoying her vast fortune while everybody else forgets that she exists.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:39 am You mean the classist bougie TERF who's obsessed with social capital because she doesn't have to worry about physical capital anymore remains a classist bougie TERF who punches down while wearing a macabre skin of pseudo-liberalism like a grotesque mask?

Honestly, we'd be better off just ignoring Rowling entirely. Let her spend the rest of her life enjoying her vast fortune while everybody else forgets that she exists.
Given how popular Harry Potter is and likely will remain in the years to come I doubt anyone will be forgetting Rowling. I mean H.P. Lovecraft was a classiest and a raciest but today that's not common knowledge and what most people know of Lovecraft is his works which, at the very least, still have interesting ideas.

I hope that she sees that what she's saying is offensive & stupid and that she see what she's saying is wrong and grows up. If she doesn't that's on her and at least her most famous work, Harry Potter, has little of her Transphobia in it.

P.S. Check out Sense8 and She-Ra which has trans characters and actors and are both awesome. Seriously these shows are great and I love them so much! :D
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yes but "Evil man in a dress using cross-dressing to attack REAL women" is a huge transphobic trope used to justify violence against trans women. That's the whole reason bathroom bills even exist. Just like Rowling's greedy, hook-nosed goblin bankers use antisemitic imagery even though the goblins in Gringots don't drink manichevitz and wear yamulkas.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:47 am"Evil man in a dress using cross-dressing to attack REAL women" is a huge transphobic trope used to justify violence against trans women.
That is a societal problem, not a problem with the setup in and of itself. The same setup as recieved in Germany won't produce nearly the same impression for example, as cross-dressing men, drag-queens in particular, have kind of a well-recieved certain stage-travesty/comedic history hereabout and a transitioned woman going to a woman's restroom and vice versa isn't registering on the "issue-meter" for the vast majority of the population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQkV5cTuoY
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's a leftist concern in particular, but conservatives will cry about influence all the time for terms of vulgarity and gratuity.

But yes this is a medium issue that depends largely on execution unlike a lot of the stuff the left drops hammers on.

I'm getting the sense that Rowling might be speaking more from a position of grave concern of men in general being statistically more expected to accost women. As far as profiling, standard and generic civil distinction between men and women are naturally or by design (I think is her point) protecting women.

Given how much she is trying to come across as balanced on the issue while also doubling down occasionally, I think she is largely trying to appeal to the design of how public institution vanguards against a historically patriarchal social landscape. More so than saying that transwomen are going to do this stuff.
Power laces... alright.