Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Rowling writes novel about a man who dresses as a woman to kill women

Post by Worffan101 »

And also, having a female protagonist in a movie is not progress. It's the '80s.

Disney--and Hollywood in general for that matter--seems to think that it's still the '80s or '90s, and the shit that flew back then will fly now. Only--it DOESN'T! People are actually smarter than corporate thinks. People's views change over time, society's understanding of what is and isn't progress changes as progress is achieved, and quite frankly, Hollywood has lost the plot.

Those new Oscar standards? Birth of a Nation passes. Every movie made by a studio of any significance in the last 3/4-century passes with ease. Captain Marvel? Slightly less progressive than freaking Elektra IMO, because Carol has next to no agency and no personality. Disney? As progressive as an old white man shaking hands with Xi Jinping as they finalize a deal over shooting a movie in Xinjiang on the land of some poor farmer who got sent to a concentration camp to be re-educated for being from the wrong ethnic group.

It's all corporate BS and I'm not going to support it just because they shit out a crappy movie with a woman as the lead.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Worffan101 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:45 am I'm not sure if you read a memo on this, but it's a matter of diversity and inclusion. I'm not looking for an environmentally friendly vegan operation that's only working to satisfy nothing less than 3rd wave appropriate plot lines and LGBT activism (like that robot in that Star Wars movie, which was of the most clunkiest pieces of writing I've seen in a while).

Not being progressively satisfied because the movie isn't controversial is on you, and it's also not a matter of being unprecedented. Yes the older movies suck, and no one wanted to see them. The new ones aren't full of overt political themes, and people do want to see them.

Two women holding hands isn't queer baiting, it's passing the bechdel test.

All that being said, I think what you're saying isn't wrong, and is distinctly relevant, and even pertinent, as far as Disney is concerned.
If a movie is marketed to me as some kind of progressive triumph, I expect more than an incredibly generic cardboard protagonist with no personality who happens to be female. That stuff is crappy when it's a dude doing the dumb action stuff, and it's crappy when it's a woman, too.
I'm not really clear on how it was marketed to you specifically as something that was going to elevate feminism to heights never seen.

What about it was misleading? Saying that "the movie sucked" by your qualitative standard isn't that compelling of an argument as far as progressive development.
The last Marvel movie I liked that I can actually remember (Ant-Man and the Wasp was OK but I keep forgetting that it even exists) was Black Panther, because that one had the balls to have a point beyond shilling Disney's alleged progressive credentials as its old white male corporate officers engage in cartoonish levels of environmental abuse, profiteering, and actively supporting totalitarian regimes engaged in ethnic cleansing.
Well I'm sorry, but this franchise wasn't founded on making Black Panther specifically. Nor was it founded on filling feminist shoes. It consists of a bunch of movies that exploited the white male hero formula specifically, and you're just shitting on it because that's still present.

Progressive standards don't have to do with political pandering and filling checkboxes, it's a matter of making things work, and both CM and BP are fantastic examples of that. (edit: that's a highly problematic last sentence there, I know, sorry.)

It's not as if Star Trek has an easy time balancing its check book. Why the fuck do you think Star Wars is so popular in comparison?
Basically, if they want me to buy their movies, they'd better START with having an openly, explicitly LGBT protagonist in a competently written movie, and start making real, significant progress in de-evilifying their business operations before I even consider patronizing their products again.
Oh okay. I have it all wrong sorry. Because you said the word feminism before, so I thought we were talking about *something else*.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Worffan101 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:29 pm And also, having a female protagonist in a movie is not progress. It's the '80s.
Well sorry you feel that it is redundant. It's more a matter of a female leading hero in the MCU. The franchise that gives equitable time to more characters in its franchise than anyone else in movie history.
Disney--and Hollywood in general for that matter--seems to think that it's still the '80s or '90s, and the shit that flew back then will fly now. Only--it DOESN'T! People are actually smarter than corporate thinks. People's views change over time, society's understanding of what is and isn't progress changes as progress is achieved, and quite frankly, Hollywood has lost the plot.
A wise man once said that that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.
Those new Oscar standards? Birth of a Nation passes. Every movie made by a studio of any significance in the last 3/4-century passes with ease. Captain Marvel? Slightly less progressive than freaking Elektra IMO, because Carol has next to no agency and no personality. Disney? As progressive as an old white man shaking hands with Xi Jinping as they finalize a deal over shooting a movie in Xinjiang on the land of some poor farmer who got sent to a concentration camp to be re-educated for being from the wrong ethnic group.

It's all corporate BS and I'm not going to support it just because they shit out a crappy movie with a woman as the lead.
Just because it's corporate doesn't mean you disregard the implications, like lol. That quote btw was from an Oscar-winning movie, ty very much.
..What mirror universe?
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Artabax wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:53 pm
She’s powerful, she knows she’s powerful, and she knows that people will go out of their way to help her just because she wrote a series of books that you like.
That is the thing. SJW have successfully canceled everybody in the whole World, but you failed on JKR.

JKR says the SJW Emperor has no clothes.
How dare you just assume the SJW's gender and call them an Emperor ?

Did you even ask them about their preferred pronouns ?