Star Trek Beyond

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
cloudkitt
Officer

Re: Star Trek Beyond

Post by cloudkitt »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:23 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:38 pm Precisely the same problem with Insurrection, which had a lot of great touches throughout, which together are more interesting than the abc plots that Beyond used. I think it is a two fold problem.
I admit, I felt the problems of 500 Baku weren't worth a movie.
Insurrection's problem isn't a lack of scale, it's that the problem is stupid. If being anywhere on this planet, including in orbit heals you, why do we need to relocate this tiny hippy commune?
To say nothing of the rather antithetical message to the soul of Star Trek (that is, the anti-technology bent) that Chuck covers in his review of that movie.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

cloudkitt wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:23 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:38 pm Precisely the same problem with Insurrection, which had a lot of great touches throughout, which together are more interesting than the abc plots that Beyond used. I think it is a two fold problem.
I admit, I felt the problems of 500 Baku weren't worth a movie.
Insurrection's problem isn't a lack of scale, it's that the problem is stupid. If being anywhere on this planet, including in orbit heals you, why do we need to relocate this tiny hippy commune?
People don't usually look at these kind of details and determine a "bad movie." It's something that'd be basically fixed with a technobabble explanation or something.

Even if that detail flub wasn't there, it's still an underperforming premise.
To say nothing of the rather antithetical message to the soul of Star Trek (that is, the anti-technology bent) that Chuck covers in his review of that movie.
There's no anti technology message that the movie is giving.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:11 am
The Baku are a peaceful utopian society that has given up all technology. Because in real life, we have magical planets that live us live immortal disease-free lives without medicine.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:13 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:11 am
The Baku are a peaceful utopian society that has given up all technology. Because in real life, we have magical planets that live us live immortal disease-free lives without medicine.
What?? They're just one culture that Star Trek visited lol. I feel like we've seen the exact same setting of people in like 3-4 TNG episodes alone.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm
What?? They're just one culture that Star Trek visited lol. I feel like we've seen the exact same setting of people in like 3-4 TNG episodes alone.
Utopian Luddite ones piss certain fans off. What can I say?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Utopian Luddite ones piss certain fans off. What can I say?
Really though I feel that that's not talked about enough. Were not there at least one episode TNG about a similar styled culture that assertively abandoned technology?
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:40 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pmReally though I feel that that's not talked about enough. Were not there at least one episode TNG about a similar styled culture that assertively abandoned technology?
Usually, it's from the patronizing perspective of the Federation. The Federation is so much more advanced and enlightened.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:42 pmReally though I feel that that's not talked about enough. Were not there at least one episode TNG about a similar styled culture that assertively abandoned technology?
Usually, it's from the patronizing perspective of the Federation. The Federation is so much more advanced and enlightened.
Well maybe less similar of a situation, but more prevalent an issue given the theme, how about the TNG episode involving evicting Native Americans off their land in favor of the armistice with Cardassia?
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 pm
Well maybe less similar of a situation, but more prevalent an issue given the theme, how about the TNG episode involving evicting Native Americans off their land in favor of the armistice with Cardassia?
Kind of hilarious as it's the exact opposite attitude he had in Insurrection.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:53 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 pm
Kind of hilarious as it's the exact opposite attitude he had in Insurrection.
I'd have to see the movie again.
Power laces... alright.