Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
slochmoeller
Redshirt

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by slochmoeller »

More effective nostalgia baiting than the whole of Season one of Picard. I was wondering when they were going to pull the trigger of using audio cameo to bring back a legacy character. (I low key don't count John De Lancie popping in a few weeks back, because c'mon, that was just him doing the same thing he's been doing on MLP for a decade now. Arguably some aspects of Discord got re-imported back into Q for that appearance as well.)

This show has proved it can reference Trek cleverly. Sure turning the Paklads into a major threat seems like a stretch, but it is following on the trajectory of Samaritan's Snare.

And the show was brave in it's ending. Killing of Jax, and shaking up the status quo by promoting Boimler and wiping Rutherford's memories were not the safe option. And yeah, I'm going to count this as Boimler's victory. He didn't become like Mariner so much as incorporate her strengths into himself to be more rounded and competent without compromising his devotion to duty. I like that.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Shax went out in a manner any good Klingon would like... laughing in the face of his enemies as he took them into death with him.

Also... the opening was funny then very quickly sobering... well done to the writing team for that initial gut punch.

Also... seeing the Titan in action was amazing. I knew she was a beauty but seeing baby girl sort those Pakleds out was just a delight.

Speaking of the Pakleds, Samaritan Snare took place in 2365 and this show is set in 2380. So that is 15 years plus multiple wars (meaning salvageble ship parts) for the Pakleds to use to get to where they are now. Seriously Starfleet intel dropped the ball on THAT one.

Honestly, this was my favorite episode of the season and I hope to see more of it's like in season 2.
jeffpiatt
Redshirt

Post by jeffpiatt »

it was ni9ce of Will to give Mariner her contraband that saved the ship.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I was kinda hesitant to watch Lower Decks. I didn't like Discovery at all. I only watched season 1 and didn't bother with season 2 or Picard. I'm not the biggest TNG fan anyway. TOS is my first love of Star Trek. I just binge watched the season and loved every minute. I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's nice to see some Star Trek that isn't being grimdark and overly serious for a change.

Bring on Season 2 of Lower Decks please.
Dman
Redshirt

Post by Dman »

I did not expect the series to shake up the status quo so much. It was amazing

Man, poor Captain Dayton. In the end she did die in space. After that scene I had no idea where the rest of episode would go.

And boy, did it go places. Shax dead. Rutheford maimed and amnesiac. Riker and Troi!

What surprised me more was the scene of Freeman and Mariner criticizing the way the Federation handles things. Now I’m thinking this series might be the bridge between the TNG/DS9 era and Picard.

Can’t wait for season 2. Very interested to see if we get a Boimler replacement or just Boimler back (hope not).

Favorite running joke was the small bits with Mariner and Jennifer the Andorian.

OBEY LANDRU
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Holy shit. The dust has settled and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this finale.

I think I'm still a little numb from the betrayals, first Peanut Hamper, then Boimler. Earlier in the episode I was thinking he was somewhere between a more competent Harry Kim and a more successful Arnold Rimmer, but I guess he leans more into Rimmer.

Was Shax getting blown up in the holodeck episode foreshadowing? o.o

Also, woo! The return of Badgey!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I'm not sure I got a Boimler betrayal. Part of Mariner's character arc is that people accepting promotion is NOT a betrayal and she should be happy for her friends.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Boimler did not betray Mariner... he just made a good career move and a good move for personal growth. I mean having the chance to work on the Titan was his dream job (Stated earlier in the season), and honestly learning under Riker is going to make him a better person and Officer. I know Mariner is mad she's losing her best friend, but it's for the best.

Now a panel after the episode aired said they're not taking away the promotion from Boimler, and we're going to see his life on the Titan. With that in mind the could split each episodes A & B plot between the Titan and the Cerritos, OR they could set four episodes on The Titan, four episodes on the Cerritos then have the ships come together for the final two episodes in the season. Perhaps have the ship log opening turn into Mariner & Boimler messaging each other about their crazy adventures on their respective ships.

If they get a season 3, have Tendi, Rutherford, Mariner & Boimler get assigned to a new ship as Lieutenants that are the link between the Senior staff and the lower decks.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I figure Boimler will get assigned back to the Cerritos after some event but keep his Lieutenant (Junior Grade) status.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:51 pm I figure Boimler will get assigned back to the Cerritos after some event but keep his Lieutenant (Junior Grade) status.
The Cerritos DOES need a new officer at Tactical, and he'd only need stay a year aboard the Titan to justify some character growth.