DIS - Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Meushell
Officer

Re: DIS - Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2

Post by Meushell »

stellar_coyote wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 pm Like they suddenly realized that killing off Captain Georgiou is a waste of the talents of Michelle Yeoh so they went, "Uhhh...I know! We'll bring her back to the series as the evil emperor!" While narratively, it's kind of hard to keep such a terrible person around and have them be on the side of the angels and make it believable.
Even this could have worked with better forethought and writing. Make her an empress who is empress because that’s the best way to survive her horrible universe. She cannot change things for the better too much because that would quickly get her killed, and any major changes would quickly be undone. Instead, she does what she can under horrible conditions.

When Michael gives her an option out, she’s truly conflicted. She’d love to leave that place, but it would mean leaving more people to suffer. Maybe even connect the issue with what happened by the time DS9’s mirror universes showed up, and have her admit that the Terran Empire is not nearly as stable as it appears. This would make Mirror Spock’s later actions, not the reason that the humans were enslaved, but just the final straw.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Meushell wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 pm Even this could have worked with better forethought and writing. Make her an empress who is empress because that’s the best way to survive her horrible universe. She cannot change things for the better too much because that would quickly get her killed, and any major changes would quickly be undone. Instead, she does what she can under horrible conditions.

When Michael gives her an option out, she’s truly conflicted. She’d love to leave that place, but it would mean leaving more people to suffer. Maybe even connect the issue with what happened by the time DS9’s mirror universes showed up, and have her admit that the Terran Empire is not nearly as stable as it appears. This would make Mirror Spock’s later actions, not the reason that the humans were enslaved, but just the final straw.
I really like this as it fits well with the theme of the Mirror Universe, the strongest survive, and having someone want out of that hellish universe is interesting.

But I still do like Empress Georgiou as is, and I'm interested in how things will play out for her in season three.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:12 pm Can we let the spore drive die
That was the stupidest thing Trek ever came up with, even dumber than interstellar cetaceans and transwarp amphibians. Why did anyone think that was a good idea in the first place?
Honestly I see the appeal but once you made it a prequel we know that it will have to be remove.
I definitely agree Thebestoftherest, I love the Spore Drive, an organic instant ship transporter in a very creative idea, and I love the Mycelial Network itself, and I know the science is ridiculous, but I'm not that bothered by that because one: most of Star Treks technology is also just as ridiculous once you break them down, the Transporter and Holodeck just to name a few, and two: they accurately do something with it, its not a one and done technology of the week that we never speak of again, but much like the Transporter and Holodeck, they explore the applications and repercussions of such technology.

But as you say because it's a prequel, we as the audience knows that it's not going to last, even without the cover-up at the end of season two, there's already factors and flaws that prevent the drive from being mass produced, the fact that it needs the DNA of a rare alien tardigrade to fully utilities the drive is enough of a reason.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

The writers are basically treating this like a superhero show. The Red Angel suit is pretty much an Iron Man armor. It can just do whatever they want it to do, like the Iron Man armor in Infinity War. They even had it fly around like the Iron Man armor and it has the same HUD.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

kingofmadcows wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:39 am The writers are basically treating this like a superhero show. The Red Angel suit is pretty much an Iron Man armor. It can just do whatever they want it to do, like the Iron Man armor in Infinity War. They even had it fly around like the Iron Man armor and it has the same HUD.
Would it have been better if Tilly was the one in the suit.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think people's issue with the Empress fail to deal with the fact the writers apparently just wanted someone to be their version of Spike. Someone who is there to contradict all of the Lawful Good types there and just be the voice of cold ruthless pragmatism and snark.

They want her to be the overthetop evil one.