Brexit Day is cometh

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Brexit Day is cometh

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

J!! wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 pm The way i see it is this: there are currently 4 great powers on the Earth. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, and the European Union. Any country not alligned with one of those four is politically irrelevant.

The United Kingdom has chosen to seperate from the EU on the assumption that they can get a better deal by aligning with the US. However, being unalligned now puts them in an extremely weak bargaining position, so whatever deal they end up with is going to reflect that.
TBH i think you're giving India short shrift.

As for this situation, I never expect great things from a man named Boris.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:53 am
J!! wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 pm The way i see it is this: there are currently 4 great powers on the Earth. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, and the European Union. Any country not alligned with one of those four is politically irrelevant.

The United Kingdom has chosen to seperate from the EU on the assumption that they can get a better deal by aligning with the US. However, being unalligned now puts them in an extremely weak bargaining position, so whatever deal they end up with is going to reflect that.
TBH i think you're giving India short shrift.

As for this situation, I never expect great things from a man named Boris.
I mean... Karloff...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I am invincible!
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

So much had changed since I first made this thread - Covid, US elections - but i thought i would dust this old bastard off to say that Brexit is still with us and will be here properly on Jan 1st.

And Boris has just announced that he will No Deal if the EU does not change their stance on trying to take our fishing waters and so-called fair play rules.

Shit is getting real, yo. Personally I think that Brexit should have been postponed because of Covid but hey. I voted for it and voted for Boris so guess I cannot complain without seeming a hypocrite.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm So much had changed since I first made this thread - Covid, US elections - but i thought i would dust this old bastard off to say that Brexit is still with us and will be here properly on Jan 1st.

And Boris has just announced that he will No Deal if the EU does not change their stance on trying to take our fishing waters and so-called fair play rules.

Shit is getting real, yo. Personally I think that Brexit should have been postponed because of Covid but hey. I voted for it and voted for Boris so guess I cannot complain without seeming a hypocrite.
Eh, changing circumstance changing opinion doesn't mean you're a hypocrite.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Guess I will have to start stocking up on tinned goods again, this has all the makings of another Suez. A complete and total disaster that will damage our economy and international prestige.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

unknownsample wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:54 pmA complete and total disaster that will damage our economy and international prestige.
"Will"?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

The UK should have left literally years ago. They've lost a lot of leverage postponing it for so long.
Don't worry, the brits will have the last laugh as the EU collapses under its own weight in less than a decade.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

You willing to put your money where your mouth is?

https://longbets.org/predictions/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 pm The UK should have left literally years ago. They've lost a lot of leverage postponing it for so long.
Don't worry, the brits will have the last laugh as the EU collapses under its own weight in less than a decade.
The problem was Parliament. It hated Brexit and it hated those who voted for it which is why (Leave) Boris got such an overwhelming mandate over (Remain) Corbyn. In my personal opinion, the problem was that Parliament is in London - which is the most Remain part of the UK besides Scotland. By being surrounded by nothing but Remainers, they convinced themselves that Leavers were ''The Outlying Other'' beyond their borders as opposed to actual people who had different thoughts and opinions.

In hindsight, I would go as far as to say that Brexit needed to be stopped twenty years ago if it was going to be stopped at all. I still remember the moment back in 1999 that Nigel Ferage got enough votes to become an MEP - Brexit suddenly went from something that only the most obscure backbench MPs spoke about to a real mainstream movement that gained traction up and down the land. And what's more, he was very quickly helped by the fact that Tony Blair started to talk about joining the Euro at the same time and the flood of Eastern European migrants a few years later. Anyone who tried to stop Brexit in 2016 and beyond was fighting a battle against people who had been stoked for two decades to leave.