Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, I do have to admit, Boimler getting off the ship would be worth it if we get to see more Mariner & Tendi interaction.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I'm two episodes into LOWER DECKS so far and I'm already liking it. I don't think it's laugh out loud funny, but I enjoy the tone and the characters. Mariner is a bit overbearing at times but I suppose she's supposed to be at this point before growing into a more sober officer, but I like her enthusiasm and go-for-it attitude. It's also nice to get an episodic Trek series. By the time "Envoys" ended it left me feeling "hey, that was nice", a feeling I hope to get again with a live action Trek show again one day. Not that I'm against what PICARD and DISCO tried, but I think at least one of them could lighten up a bit so we can have a little more variety rather than two relatively self-serious shows. Maybe STRANGE NEW WORLDS will fill that gap. For now LOWER DECKS is a pleasant diversion that actually has something to say.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Random thing but I love that, despite their level-up, the Packleds still think every federation starship is The Enterprise.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I watched the first two episodes of LOWER DECKS last night for the first time, and just an hour ago I finished the season finale. It's not the Star Trek show I wanted, but it turned out to be the one I actually needed. Such a pleasant and diverting show brimming with enthusiasm.
Arson55
Redshirt

Post by Arson55 »

Man, I think the season finale was the best episode yet, and I've been loving this show the whole time.

Much as I love Mariner, kinda cool to see Boimler get a win.

I do hope they split time between the two ships with A and B plots alternating between the two before ultimately bringing them back together at the end of next season.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:03 am Random thing but I love that, despite their level-up, the Packleds still think every federation starship is The Enterprise.
Yeah, I loved that bit too.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Only 1 episode in so far but I enjoyed it and I look forward to seeing more. And I hear good things about the series overall.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I watched it all the way through yesterday and today. It made me smile and laugh.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

So, on top of being an awesome show, the animation studio is UNIONIZING! https://deadline.com/2020/10/titmouse-vancouver-animation-studio-iatse-union-vote-first-canadian-studio-1234600790/amp/?__twitter_impression=true Woo!
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:52 am So, on top of being an awesome show, the animation studio is UNIONIZING! https://deadline.com/2020/10/titmouse-vancouver-animation-studio-iatse-union-vote-first-canadian-studio-1234600790/amp/?__twitter_impression=true Woo!
Nice! Hope it works out.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

WAIT A SEC NOW
In Love's Errant Arrow, if the parasite makes Boimler irresistible, why doesn't it affect Mariner like that?