I ain't afraid of no ghost week.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Re: I ain't afraid of no ghost week.

Post by Keyser94 »

Beastro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:03 pm
Scififan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:40 pm I never really got the hate that Ghostbusters 2 got. It wasn't as good as the first one but I still enjoyed. Hell, I didn't really hate the new Ghostbusters, there are some things I liked about it.
Same. I found Ghostbusters 2 to be fun and engaging, and I do not understand why people do not like it equally as much as the first movie.
I enjoyed it as a kid, but rewatching it a few years back, I realized the show was aimless and lacked the spirit of the old one.

It has some good ideas with the slime and Vigo, but they have so much time to fill that is stuff with the movie just ambling about.

A good part that sums the movie up is when the guys get back together, suit up and start running through New York as the soundtrack plays. It feels less like them being back in action and more them forming up to do something obliged of them that is required and not enjoyed.

It makes me wonder how much the cast even really wanted to make a sequel, especially Ackroyd.
And let not speak how despicable the ideology of the Ghostbuster movies, even that well hidden by humour, the basic ideology of the old Ghostbuster was not oversee it, not regulation whatsoever, even if they were literally having a fucking nuclear weapon in the middle of New York and their packs also were nuclear powered, when you realise that, you realise that Walter Peck was right to be worried, but the movie treat him like an idiot buffoon.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Except we have nothing to suggest that the proto packs are any more explosives than say an eletric car, and that in the movie the only time any of their equipment is when Dickless wrongfully and illegally turn the grid off to a machine he knows nothing about, and he refused to take any responsibility to his action.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Keyser94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 am
Scififan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:40 pm I never really got the hate that Ghostbusters 2 got. It wasn't as good as the first one but I still enjoyed. Hell, I didn't really hate the new Ghostbusters, there are some things I liked about it.
Same. I found Ghostbusters 2 to be fun and engaging, and I do not understand why people do not like it equally as much as the first movie.
I enjoyed it as a kid, but rewatching it a few years back, I realized the show was aimless and lacked the spirit of the old one.

It has some good ideas with the slime and Vigo, but they have so much time to fill that is stuff with the movie just ambling about.

A good part that sums the movie up is when the guys get back together, suit up and start running through New York as the soundtrack plays. It feels less like them being back in action and more them forming up to do something obliged of them that is required and not enjoyed.

It makes me wonder how much the cast even really wanted to make a sequel, especially Ackroyd.
And let not speak how despicable the ideology of the Ghostbuster movies, even that well hidden by humour, the basic ideology of the old Ghostbuster was not oversee it, not regulation whatsoever, even if they were literally having a fucking nuclear weapon in the middle of New York and their packs also were nuclear powered, when you realise that, you realise that Walter Peck was right to be worried, but the movie treat him like an idiot buffoon.
Its the same old superhero outlook that film loves so much: The heros should not be restrained to freely help society and not be voted by their regulations.

It's a very American ethos of individuals aiding society of their own initiative and that's prolly why it bugs you so much: it's quintessentially American.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Beastro wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 am

Its the same old superhero outlook that film loves so much: The heros should not be restrained to freely help society and not be voted by their regulations.

It's a very American ethos of individuals aiding society of their own initiative and that's prolly why it bugs you so much: it's quintessentially American.
This has nothing to do with their heroism and more of the fact that THEY HAVE A FUCKING NUCLEAR DEVICE IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW YORK, UNCHECKED, UNREGULATED, NO ONES IS OVERSEE IT and seeing how safe it is, also they have nuclear devices in their back packs, that also are unregulated, imagine what would happen if this devices go offs, hell, that almost happen when they do when they should do that cross the fires of the four because it was to dangerous, they could have blow up the entire city.

That is called recklessness. Not heroism.
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

Really looking forward to the Ghostwatch analysis- I haven't seen it since it first aired way back on BBC 1 in the early 90s. As a kid it definitely left an impression, and I remember the tabloid uproar it caused afterwards. I do wonder if it still holds up.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Keyser94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:01 pm
Beastro wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 am

This has nothing to do with their heroism and more of the fact that THEY HAVE A FUCKING NUCLEAR DEVICE IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW YORK, UNCHECKED, UNREGULATED, NO ONES IS OVERSEE IT and seeing how safe it is, also they have nuclear devices in their back packs, that also are unregulated, imagine what would happen if this devices go offs, hell, that almost happen when they do when they should do that cross the fires of the four because it was to dangerous, they could have blow up the entire city.

That is called recklessness. Not heroism.
One they only cross the streams because that they had no other choice, let me remind you of they didn't the unstoppable evil god monster would have keep destroying the planet, and two judging by how they all survive the blast of crossing the streams it is possible that the protons packs lack the power to do what you claim they can.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Becca wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 pm Really looking forward to the Ghostwatch analysis- I haven't seen it since it first aired way back on BBC 1 in the early 90s. As a kid it definitely left an impression, and I remember the tabloid uproar it caused afterwards. I do wonder if it still holds up.
I don't think it does. First, knowing the twist completely robs it of tension. Plus without the four channel tv environment, which was saturated with those sort of semi-live telethon shows in the UK at that time, and also knowing most of the performers only or mostly as presenters, it just doesn't work. Not to mention we now almost expect that sort trickery, which was something we didn't have way back then. We still, for better or worse, trusted the television to be honest with us. And there was also the contemporary fascination with the supernatural and uncanny, which we've spent a couple of decades debunking and robbing the world of any semblance of magic and wonder, that just doesn't exist now. I suppose you could mainline every episode of comic relief and noel's house party, and that might help get in the mindset.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

So according to the website's update, Chuck will be covering the first episodes of Extreme Ghostbusters. For those who don't know it was the sequel to the animated Ghostbusters tv show from back in the 80's starring a new cast of characters with Egon acting as their mentor.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

stellar_coyote wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:09 am So according to the website's update, Chuck will be covering the first episodes of Extreme Ghostbusters. For those who don't know it was the sequel to the animated Ghostbusters tv show from back in the 80's starring a new cast of characters with Egon acting as their mentor.
And as I have said previously, it is the most underrated cartoon of the 90's.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:25 pm
Becca wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 pm Really looking forward to the Ghostwatch analysis- I haven't seen it since it first aired way back on BBC 1 in the early 90s. As a kid it definitely left an impression, and I remember the tabloid uproar it caused afterwards. I do wonder if it still holds up.
I don't think it does. First, knowing the twist completely robs it of tension. Plus without the four channel tv environment, which was saturated with those sort of semi-live telethon shows in the UK at that time, and also knowing most of the performers only or mostly as presenters, it just doesn't work. Not to mention we now almost expect that sort trickery, which was something we didn't have way back then. We still, for better or worse, trusted the television to be honest with us. And there was also the contemporary fascination with the supernatural and uncanny, which we've spent a couple of decades debunking and robbing the world of any semblance of magic and wonder, that just doesn't exist now. I suppose you could mainline every episode of comic relief and noel's house party, and that might help get in the mindset.
And of course Crimewatch, which I imagine it was leaning into the most. On the surface it could have been seen as a Halloween special of that.
Watching Noels House Party would mean being subjected to Mr Blobby, which is, of course, it's own kind of horror!