The Day the Earth Stood Still

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Post by Keyser94 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:01 am
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm The 1950s. When mum had no problem with allowing her son to go off with a man they only just met that day whilst she goes off for a date with her boyfriend. That kid would trigger an amber alert in 2020 the moment she was out of her sight.

Also, sorry, I think that the humans were in the right. Klaatu turns up completely unannounced and walks towards a group of soldiers with a device that suddenly snaps open within melee range. Anyone could be forgiven for flinching in such a situation.

He then runs away and turns off all the power, makes threats, and then sets a Terminator with a death ray upon them. Why was anyone meant to assume that he wasn't a villain without the benefit of the 4th Wall again? And by the end of the film, yeah, he's a villain. Threatening to end all life on Earth, even the innocents. Frankly, I would go as far as to say that if this was set in the DC universe, there would be a guy wearing red and blue swooping in to beat the guy up in the name of truth, justice and the American way.
Funny because " truth, justice and the American way" is a motto that DC applied to Superman during the cold war, and what kind of " truth, justice and the American way" it is? Setting coups all around the world for the benefit of corporations and rich people in the U. S.? Overthrowing democracies in favour of brutal dictatorships? Rigging elections in favour of corrupt candidates that benefit the U. S.? You call that justice? That not counting the countless genocides and massacres along the U. S. history, killing innocent people in domestic and foreign lands. You call that justice? No, Klaatu is not the villain in this story, he is just indifferent, the U. S. is as always arrogant and believe in their own superiority, call this a modern adaptation of War of the World with a more benevolent ending, I prefer more the ending of the reboot, were Klaatu destroy all the technology of Earth, sure, he didnt kill the humans, but destroyed the old status quo, the humans can kill each other if they want, but the state cant do that against other nations anymore because they no have any power any longer.
I haven't seen the reboot so I will take you at your word. Seems to me that he is even more a villain in that story though as I can assure you that whether it is with nukes or swords, the human race is quite capable of continuing to kill ourselves and invading other countries. If you doubt that, I advise you to look up the history of the entire classical world. Not to mention the fact that destroying our technology means no more modern medicine which means that hundreds of millions of people will die from disease and illness alone. And it also means no modern sanitation, no communications, no internet and no global trade.

We would have been better off dying instantly than being subjected to the horrors of the Dark Ages in which basically nobody today is suited or prepared for.

And whilst it is clear you have a hate boner on for the US, I guess I will annoy you by pointing out that ''the American way'' is freedom, democracy, and capitalism. And whilst I am sure that you will balk at that in your reply, I request that you name me the country that you come from and I will tell you the blood that your ancestors have on their hands so we can compare it to the US that you hate so much. I'll get the ball rolling: I'm British, we subjugated a quarter of the globe.
No need, I already know the blood that my ancestors had shred, like the U. S. they exterminated the natives, they not even give them reservations, they actually exterminate them for their false sense of European superiority, something that the real person that actually founded my country was totally against, but people that wanted power simply exile him to never come back but of course you cant trust someone that born Spanish and move to a Colony and betrayed everyone that ever trust him, and let not speak that our two traditional parties simply voted to erase Democracy because the benevolent and kind U. S. ask for it, and of course, impose a brutal dictatorship that tortured and killed dissident, buried them in mass graves, but that is nothing compared of the four hundred years of foreign interventions of the U. S., so I am sorry that I not trust the bullshit of "Freedom, Democracy and Capitalism." even not even the U. S. government actually believe their own propaganda.

Better live in the dark ages and in a new status quo than in the present status quo that have a huge power in valance that everyone pretends that is good for the sake of "diplomacy", without technology, no more bullshit, no more pretending that we are civilised when we commit huge atrocities, as I say before human would continue to kill each, but the old power that be would be gone, they not have the technology or the weapons to hold us anymore, we would have to began from scratch, and hell, I think that the scientist are wrong to say that it would take ten years to the first world countries to built transformers to have energy again, after all without energy you don't have the machines that take the raw materials from Earth, without energy not have the vehicles that transport those raw materials or the tools necessary to built a transformer, it would take much longer to rebuilt civilisation how was before, that means governments would crumble because they not have more power anymore, their guns would be useless, their carriers, submarines, destroyers all would be stuck at sea, and of course their tanks and aircraft, the first world countries would be nothing more than a shadow that they were before, their economy would collapse and with that they wont have any hold to the rest of the world, to me, that is a happy ending.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Keyser94 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:48 pm You seems to be defending more the attitude of the U. S. than the attitude of humans in generals, because he wasn't allowed to speak to world leaders remember, and they wanted to be close as the original, but adapting to current politics, and let me say to you, that the U. S. isn't the saviour of the world, that why Klaatu began the plan to wipe out of humanity beginning with the U. S., and the ending is very good, Klaatu show clemency but that doesn't mean that left us off the hook he literally destroyed the status quo on Earth by cutting all the electricity of the world, meaning that the U. S. and European war machines doesn't work anymore, sure, humans would continue to kill each other, but the old status quo is no more.
What on Earth are you talking about? I couldn't care less about the General Ripper attitude of the US gov. or whatever you want to call it. I'm talking about the frickin' aliens' tactic in the remake. Unlike in 1951, the aliens had more options to save Earth or at least inform humanity about what was about to happen than sending an ambassador of sorts. Hell, they didn't even need to land on Earth at all. And no one would have been able to do anything about them since they were untouchables (they even disabled the ICBM's before they were launched).
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Keyser94 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 am
clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm The 1950s. When mum had no problem with allowing her son to go off with a man they only just met that day whilst she goes off for a date with her boyfriend. That kid would trigger an amber alert in 2020 the moment she was out of her sight.

Also, sorry, I think that the humans were in the right. Klaatu turns up completely unannounced and walks towards a group of soldiers with a device that suddenly snaps open within melee range. Anyone could be forgiven for flinching in such a situation.

He then runs away and turns off all the power, makes threats, and then sets a Terminator with a death ray upon them. Why was anyone meant to assume that he wasn't a villain without the benefit of the 4th Wall again? And by the end of the film, yeah, he's a villain. Threatening to end all life on Earth, even the innocents. Frankly, I would go as far as to say that if this was set in the DC universe, there would be a guy wearing red and blue swooping in to beat the guy up in the name of truth, justice and the American way.
Funny because " truth, justice and the American way" is a motto that DC applied to Superman during the cold war, and what kind of " truth, justice and the American way" it is? Setting coups all around the world for the benefit of corporations and rich people in the U. S.? Overthrowing democracies in favour of brutal dictatorships? Rigging elections in favour of corrupt candidates that benefit the U. S.? You call that justice? That not counting the countless genocides and massacres along the U. S. history, killing innocent people in domestic and foreign lands. You call that justice? No, Klaatu is not the villain in this story, he is just indifferent, the U. S. is as always arrogant and believe in their own superiority, call this a modern adaptation of War of the World with a more benevolent ending, I prefer more the ending of the reboot, were Klaatu destroy all the technology of Earth, sure, he didnt kill the humans, but destroyed the old status quo, the humans can kill each other if they want, but the state cant do that against other nations anymore because they no have any power any longer.
I haven't seen the reboot so I will take you at your word. Seems to me that he is even more a villain in that story though as I can assure you that whether it is with nukes or swords, the human race is quite capable of continuing to kill ourselves and invading other countries. If you doubt that, I advise you to look up the history of the entire classical world. Not to mention the fact that destroying our technology means no more modern medicine which means that hundreds of millions of people will die from disease and illness alone. And it also means no modern sanitation, no communications, no internet and no global trade.

We would have been better off dying instantly than being subjected to the horrors of the Dark Ages in which basically nobody today is suited or prepared for.

And whilst it is clear you have a hate boner on for the US, I guess I will annoy you by pointing out that ''the American way'' is freedom, democracy, and capitalism. And whilst I am sure that you will balk at that in your reply, I request that you name me the country that you come from and I will tell you the blood that your ancestors have on their hands so we can compare it to the US that you hate so much. I'll get the ball rolling: I'm British, we subjugated a quarter of the globe.
No need, I already know the blood that my ancestors had shred, like the U. S. they exterminated the natives, they not even give them reservations, they actually exterminate them for their false sense of European superiority, something that the real person that actually founded my country was totally against, but people that wanted power simply exile him to never come back but of course you cant trust someone that born Spanish and move to a Colony and betrayed everyone that ever trust him, and let not speak that our two traditional parties simply voted to erase Democracy because the benevolent and kind U. S. ask for it, and of course, impose a brutal dictatorship that tortured and killed dissident, buried them in mass graves, but that is nothing compared of the four hundred years of foreign interventions of the U. S., so I am sorry that I not trust the bullshit of "Freedom, Democracy and Capitalism." even not even the U. S. government actually believe their own propaganda.

Better live in the dark ages and in a new status quo than in the present status quo that have a huge power in valance that everyone pretends that is good for the sake of "diplomacy", without technology, no more bullshit, no more pretending that we are civilised when we commit huge atrocities, as I say before human would continue to kill each, but the old power that be would be gone, they not have the technology or the weapons to hold us anymore, we would have to began from scratch, and hell, I think that the scientist are wrong to say that it would take ten years to the first world countries to built transformers to have energy again, after all without energy you don't have the machines that take the raw materials from Earth, without energy not have the vehicles that transport those raw materials or the tools necessary to built a transformer, it would take much longer to rebuilt civilisation how was before, that means governments would crumble because they not have more power anymore, their guns would be useless, their carriers, submarines, destroyers all would be stuck at sea, and of course their tanks and aircraft, the first world countries would be nothing more than a shadow that they were before, their economy would collapse and with that they wont have any hold to the rest of the world, to me, that is a happy ending.
So just so we're clear on this: you would rather live in your own piss and shit as you starve in the ruins of civilization than to try and mend what we've already got?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm

So just so we're clear on this: you would rather live in your own piss and shit as you starve in the ruins of civilization than to try and mend what we've already got?
Better began from scratch that live under the boot of the U. S. And are you serious? With the serious disparity of powers in the UN they would never would mend the issues that are population on Earth, because the "Defence Council" have all the power, they decide when to send the Blue Barrett, mostly third world countries, but when a first world country commit atrocities, the UN stay silent, not economic sanctions, no sending the troops, only pointless and toothless resolutions.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 pm He then runs away and turns off all the power, makes threats, and then sets a Terminator with a death ray upon them. Why was anyone meant to assume that he wasn't a villain without the benefit of the 4th Wall again? And by the end of the film, yeah, he's a villain. Threatening to end all life on Earth, even the innocents. Frankly, I would go as far as to say that if this was set in the DC universe, there would be a guy wearing red and blue swooping in to beat the guy up in the name of truth, justice and the American way.
It's always come across as a wish fulfillment movie for people in the 1950s: "Oh these frightening nuclear weapons! If only some greater power would come along and remove them from our hands so we wouldn't be scared of them anymore!" (Just having WWIII take place soon afterwards with nothing reining in the USSR anymore).

For all people mock Plan 9, it at least was blunt and open about this sentiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhvDMhrws1o
Keyser94 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm Funny because " truth, justice and the American way" is a motto that DC applied to Superman during the cold war, and what kind of " truth, justice and the American way" it is? Setting coups all around the world for the benefit of corporations and rich people in the U. S.? Overthrowing democracies in favour of brutal dictatorships? Rigging elections in favour of corrupt candidates that benefit the U. S.? You call that justice? That not counting the countless genocides and massacres along the U. S. history, killing innocent people in domestic and foreign lands. You call that justice? No, Klaatu is not the villain in this story, he is just indifferent, the U. S. is as always arrogant and believe in their own superiority, call this a modern adaptation of War of the World with a more benevolent ending, I prefer more the ending of the reboot, were Klaatu destroy all the technology of Earth, sure, he didnt kill the humans, but destroyed the old status quo, the humans can kill each other if they want, but the state cant do that against other nations anymore because they no have any power any longer.
Oh, Americans definitely are arrogant and full of themselves. It's the source of their greatest accomplishments and worst follies. But what you speak of is simply the position that the global hegemon is in maintaining their place. It's a fallen world and the demands of that position are great.

Just be happy at how benign the US has been compared to who may replace them.
but destroyed the old status quo, the humans can kill each other if they want, but the state cant do that against other nations anymore because they no have any power any longer.

they not have the technology or the weapons to hold us anymore,
The State didn't need modern technology to do that in the past and pre-industrial Europe's a good example of that.

It also doesn't undo many things. You don't need electricity to manufacture modern firearms. Even thrown things back to the 19th century, you're still going to have at the very least bolt-action rifles and machine guns.

As for stopping electricity from working and it's after-effects: The world's global food supply system relies on that. As others have said, it feeds billions. Look back to how the world was before that and the population levels, then factor in the sheer chaos of the disruption of almost 8 billion hungry mouths wanting food every day.

It would be an ecological disaster before the Age of Cannibalism would ensue as people stripped the world of anything to eat in their locations and then move onto each other.

You're also looking at things from a purely technological mindset. It ignores the ideology and cultural framework. You'd then have the State with an even greater grasp on people thanks to communication being reduced back to older levels. I do not like the Internet, but any desire to push a magical button to make it go away makes me pause imagining giving politicians of the mindset of today the levels of control over information they once had before the Internet exploded.

You are seeking a blank slate where there won't be one, just as the fall of European empires didn't result in a nice, neat environment for everyone else to emerge free from.
like the U. S. they exterminated the natives, they not even give them reservations, they actually exterminate them for their false sense of European superiority,

but that is nothing compared of the four hundred years of foreign interventions of the U. S., so I am sorry that I not trust the bullshit of "Freedom, Democracy and Capitalism." even not even the U. S. government actually believe their own propaganda.
They try their best to balance it with their own national interest. They try, but they are a nation and all nations seek to secure their own interests first. The issue is this often results in them being hypocritical, trying to do better but being yet another beastly nation seeking its own ends.

And four hundred years? The US has been around for less then 250 years. Do you mean the original settling of North America by their ancestors in the 17th Century? Sorry, that's simple human migration no different than how the Sioux were expelled from modern Canada by the Ojibway and nothing compared to the US' flip flapping in the 19th Century. It's also something not outside of their history going back a ways: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain

The only thing that differentiates the US and other Europeans actions is the hypocrisy of their actions and ideals, but paradoxically, it is from that we have a desire to aim higher and be better. as no one would be thinking like you are without that higher aim and the same old repeating of human squabbling and slaughter would continue on.
their guns would be useless
Guns do not require electricity. Maybe in the movie they just made them not work, but that isn't a fun thing either. Suddenly the State has its old monopoly on violence. The great equalizer of firearms is no longer there, you have specialized people trained to expertly use melee weapons there to terrorize the populace to keep them from revolt. What are they going to do? They can't grab a gun no different than a soldier's anymore, they only their farming equipment and whatever else they have at the ready.

All you're position would end in is the people you despise the most have greater power as everyone loses far, far more from the collapse.
Keyser94 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm
Better began from scratch that live under the boot of the U. S. And are you serious? With the serious disparity of powers in the UN they would never would mend the issues that are population on Earth, because the "Defence Council" have all the power, they decide when to send the Blue Barrett, mostly third world countries, but when a first world country commit atrocities, the UN stay silent, not economic sanctions, no sending the troops, only pointless and toothless resolutions.
Resentment's a nasty thing: “What the honorable member is saying is that he would rather that the poor were poorer, provided that the rich were less rich,”

"In the UN".

You assume the UN does anything beyond provide a place for nations to voice their opinions and to quell lesser powers from starting troublesome wars (like the kind that began a World War once).

The UN is no different then the German Confederation long ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Confederation

Back then it was Prussia and Austria-Hungary trying to dominate while the lesser powers believed in the system because it was their means of hopefully restraining, and possibly overcoming, the Great German Powers. Both tried to placate to the Lesser German Powers to not have them align all against them, but in the end they all fell under one or the other with Austria-Hungary losing out.

Yes, they have all the power because they were the victors of the World War and remain the major powers of today. Is that a surprise? Why wouldn't they seek to maintain power and allow lesser nations a greater hold that would disrupt the global order as they seek their own national interests?

And I'm not saying this is good, it's just the way nations are. Look on them more like competing beasts with limited human control to steer them around rather than completely under our control and you'll better understand why they so often act the way they do.
Last edited by Beastro on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Keyser94 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:48 pm

You're either trolling me or you know nothing about history if you think that you haven't just described every superpower in history. This is boring me so I am going to leave you with a plea to at least try and read up on the history of the Ancient world if you think that having almost no technology will bring forth an era of peace.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 pm You're either trolling me or you know nothing about history if you think that you haven't just described every superpower in history. This is boring me so I am going to leave you with a plea to at least try and read up on the history of the Ancient world if you think that having almost no technology will bring forth an era of peace.
He's neither: He's young and fully of the same old revolutionary spirit that thinks the next revolution will be the one that will finally fix everything he sees as wrong in the world.

No matter the body count.

Be happy he's just venting on the Internet.
Keyser94
Redshirt

Post by Keyser94 »

Beastro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 pm You're either trolling me or you know nothing about history if you think that you haven't just described every superpower in history. This is boring me so I am going to leave you with a plea to at least try and read up on the history of the Ancient world if you think that having almost no technology will bring forth an era of peace.
He's neither: He's young and fully of the same old revolutionary spirit that thinks the next revolution will be the one that will finally fix everything he sees as wrong in the world.

Actually I am thirty three, nearly thirty four in two months, and not young by any stretch, and I am totally cynical nihilist that not believe the lies that we all tell our selves how fair and good the world is, I am to weary and to tired of that bullshit, and I not care less about the body count, the super volcano in Yellow Stone destroying the U. S. and Canada and I couldn't care less about all the lives lost in the process, you cant have real change if you not shed blood, that how all revolutions worked in the past, even the so called "peaceful" revolutions, as the Alfred says to Bruce in The Dark Knight, some people only want to see the world burn, and I am one of those people, if you want to live your life in ignorance, fine, like people say, ignorance is a bliss, but I would prefer that the old status quo be destroyed, also I love history, and I know that another empire would rise, that is how the history of the world works, empires rises and falls, and the U. S. wont be different, enjoy your comfortable life while you can, because it wont last much longer.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I like this movie.
It is one of those old time movies that I feel holds up.
You know, if you extrapolate the religious allegory out with Klatu as Jesus, Gort and the robots are God, willing to pull another Great Flood or Tower of Babel to keep the sinful humans in line.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Keyser94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:39 am
Beastro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Actually I am thirty three, nearly thirty four in two months, and not young by any stretch, and I am totally cynical nihilist that not believe the lies that we all tell our selves how fair and good the world is, I am to weary and to tired of that bullshit, and I not care less about the body count, the super volcano in Yellow Stone destroying the U. S. and Canada and I couldn't care less about all the lives lost in the process, you cant have real change if you not shed blood, that how all revolutions worked in the past, even the so called "peaceful" revolutions, as the Alfred says to Bruce in The Dark Knight, some people only want to see the world burn, and I am one of those people, if you want to live your life in ignorance, fine, like people say, ignorance is a bliss, but I would prefer that the old status quo be destroyed, also I love history, and I know that another empire would rise, that is how the history of the world works, empires rises and falls, and the U. S. wont be different, enjoy your comfortable life while you can, because it wont last much longer.
Then you're more immature than your age let's on, and probably by choice as your post conveys.

No one is ever truly a nihilist. We all care about something and its clear what you care about to be so hurt as a grind the nihilistic axe.