Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AndrewGPaul
Officer

Re: Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1

Post by AndrewGPaul »

It’s just as well the review told me that was Elon, as I wouldn’t have guessed otherwise. A blond ponytail?
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

HumanXeroxMachine wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:37 pm I want to say Egon was 45 in Extreme Ghostbusters as iirc The Real Ghostbusters made his birth year 1957.
I had a look at the wiki page on the episode: "The Sphinx" and it's 39 according to that. 45 would be more believable though.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

I don't really see the problem with the skepticism vs. suspension of disbelief. Particularly if you are going for a "masquerade"-type situation, it is to be expected that most people will not believe, or will vaguely believe in something similar to what is being hidden but not understand the actual situation.

I'm not really reminded "they are not real in real life" because the whole idea is that we are supposed to pretend that "that's what they want you to think."

The bigger problem is that "flat earth atheist" problem; people being skeptical of something that is well established in the universe. It is somewhat believable that people could view the events of the Ghostbusters movie as a mass delusion (as basically it is a few weeks or maybe a few months of increased ghostly outbreaks). It is much harder to think that a world that has undergone the events of the Real Ghostbusters series (for a few years all sorts of independent ghostly phenomenon has been occurring) could have skepticism about ghosts be that prevalent.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

AndrewGPaul wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 pm It’s just as well the review told me that was Elon, as I wouldn’t have guessed otherwise. A blond ponytail?
That's a holdover from the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon. In the original movie, the four main characters all have black hair, one of them is Black, and all four are wearing identical jumpsuits. That makes it hard to tell any of the characters apart in animation (except for Winston). So for the cartoon, Egon became blonde, Venkman got brown hair, Ray got red, and Winston got to keep his black hair. And they all also got their own custom-colored jumpsuits. It's a small thing, but it really helps.

Like, I really love how in the live action "Bumblebee" movie, Bee is yellow, and the two main antagonists are colored red and blue. You can really tell that an animator took the lead on that movie, unlike the previous Transformers movies which featured indistinct blobs of grey shrapnel.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:28 pm If the show is using the movie ages (and its in continuity with the movie so yes) then Harold Remis was 40 when the original movie came out in 84, (Ackroyd and Murray were 34 at the time, and Hudson was 39) and EGB moved in real time to after, so it happening in 1997 would have put Egon at 53. Which yes, is absolutely too old to be carrying around a heavy 35+lbs pack and doing lots of running and dangerous activity, especially if he hasn't kept up with physical conditioning for the previous decade.
For some reason in the cartoon they made Egon MUCH YOUNGER.
It borders on a plot hole, as it almost makes him too young to be as accredited as he is.

It is just one of those weird details that they should have just made him 50.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am In which we are introduced to two legacy characters, the comic relief, the sneery one, the combative one, the weird one, and the black guy. And that is pretty much all the characterisation we get for them. It is very nineties.

Does the show say what happened to the other original Ghostbusters apart from Egon? Because EgRay was a big fanfic ship back then.
He is not just the Black Guy.
The characterize him as the techy and gearhead.
He is the most technically minded of the group which comes out more over the course of the series.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am In which we are introduced to two legacy characters, the comic relief, the sneery one, the combative one, the weird one, and the black guy. And that is pretty much all the characterisation we get for them. It is very nineties.

Does the show say what happened to the other original Ghostbusters apart from Egon? Because EgRay was a big fanfic ship back then.
He is the most technically minded of the group which comes out more over the course of the series.
Which would make him the anti Winston since Winston was the one least knowable about the science and tech stuff.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:30 am
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 am

Which would make him the anti Winston since Winston was the one least knowable about the science and tech stuff.
He's the mechanic. A black guy as the group mechanic, so original. Just as Winston ended up being the only blue collar guy in the original, and the the only blue collar worker in the 2016 was Leslie Jones, and the black guy is the mechanic in this. I'm starting to see a running theme here. A certain lack of imagination in the various writers rooms.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Roland is not just a mechanic hes an engineer, through out the extreme series he is the one building and making more gear and modding it when they need to. though i do get your point, look at the other 2 male leads ones an idiot, though he gets better as the series goes on, and then there is our wheel chair bound hot head, who has and ego bigger then peter's. After that kylie, the only girl on the team, is a goth and is effectively Ego's successor, being the most into the science. Roland is more Ray's successor as Ray was doing most of the mechanical stuff as relates to their gear. Plus Roland gets a fair number of episodes focused on him as does kylie followed by Edwardo, Garath doesn't get that many out of this short series
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm He's the mechanic. A black guy as the group mechanic, so original. Just as Winston ended up being the only blue collar guy in the original, and the the only blue collar worker in the 2016 was Leslie Jones, and the black guy is the mechanic in this. I'm starting to see a running theme here. A certain lack of imagination in the various writers rooms.
In the original script Winston was an Air Force major, a demolitions expert, and one of the GB's from the start.

His role got significantly reduced when they didn't get Eddie Murphy though. That's why he doesn't appear till halfway through the film.