Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Re: Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1

Post by drewder »

MightyDavidson wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:25 pm
Becca wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 pm A later episode where it kept emphasizing how Egon was "too old" to be a Ghostbuster (ie: in his 30s) stuck in my craw at the time it first aired, and now well, even more so!
But besides that, it's pretty good. I do miss the boppin' 80s background music of the original, but the 90s one was going more for a subdued tone I suppose.
Uh no, he's significantly older then that. Not a senior citizen yet admittedly but he was in his 30s in the original show by the time of Extreme Ghostbusters he's at least in his 40s.
Pretty sure 40 year olds are supposed to move to Florida and live in a retirement village.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Extreme Ghostbusters: Darkness At Noon pt1 and 2.

Post by CrypticMirror »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:14 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:59 pm He's the mechanic. A black guy as the group mechanic, so original. Just as Winston ended up being the only blue collar guy in the original, and the the only blue collar worker in the 2016 was Leslie Jones, and the black guy is the mechanic in this. I'm starting to see a running theme here. A certain lack of imagination in the various writers rooms.
In the original script Winston was an Air Force major, a demolitions expert, and one of the GB's from the start.

His role got significantly reduced when they didn't get Eddie Murphy though. That's why he doesn't appear till halfway through the film.
Well you know what the rule round here is about stuff they didn't put in the movie.

Plus I'll note that none of this tackles the problem of the various writers across this franchise and others, of not being able to write a black character who is a scientist and not a physical maintenance role [which in Hollywood terms, means blue collar mechanics].
drewder wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Pretty sure 40 year olds are supposed to move to Florida and live in a retirement village.
As my knees stare down the barrel of another cold and damp Scottish winter, I could certainly do with it. Maybe not Florida, maybe somewhere with more of a dry heat. Oy, I wish.
stellar_coyote
Officer

Post by stellar_coyote »

I remember watching this as a kid each morning before school, while it doesn't quite stir up feelings of nostalgia the way other 90's toons did I do at least remember several episodes. Like the aforementioned Sphinx one, an episode where a ghost would drive the technologically minded to invent a machine which it would then take possession of to wreak havoc. A petty thief getting hold of a bag of coins that would send people to Hell and the Ghostbusters being investigated by the government while trying to catch a gremlin.

Watching the review, there was something about the shows animation that felt familiar so I checked to see what other shows the production company worked on, turns out one of them was Men In Black the series. Seems the animators were allowed to go full gruesome for those shows.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

stellar_coyote wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:02 am I remember watching this as a kid each morning before school, while it doesn't quite stir up feelings of nostalgia the way other 90's toons did I do at least remember several episodes. Like the aforementioned Sphinx one, an episode where a ghost would drive the technologically minded to invent a machine which it would then take possession of to wreak havoc. A petty thief getting hold of a bag of coins that would send people to Hell and the Ghostbusters being investigated by the government while trying to catch a gremlin.

Watching the review, there was something about the shows animation that felt familiar so I checked to see what other shows the production company worked on, turns out one of them was Men In Black the series. Seems the animators were allowed to go full gruesome for those shows.
But no crossover or was there? *Neuralyzer appear and flash.* What were we talking about?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Didn't the same guys work on the 90s Godzilla cartoon series based on the American flop remake of same name, and the Alienators: Evolution series? Seemed like there was a whole "monster-of-the-week adaptation of PG13 blockbuster" franchise.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:46 am Didn't the same guys work on the 90s Godzilla cartoon series based on the American flop remake of same name, and the Alienators: Evolution series? Seemed like there was a whole "monster-of-the-week adaptation of PG13 blockbuster" franchise.
I think so. I want to say they also did the Stargate: Infinity animated series too.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Yes that's right!
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Extreme Ghostbusters was FUN. It wasn't perfect, and it felt like the cast was written to be 90s PC, but it was a fun and worthy sequel to the original.

The characters do grow a little, though Eduardo is always the boneheaded everyman to the other characters' more defined roles, but I always remember is as being a fun continuation of the original.

I also grew to HATE the episode where Egon came out of retirement against a Sphinx ghost, because it was so blunt in making its point of old not meaning incapable or useless, AND it got repeated way too many times in the schedule.

There were also some REALLY brutal episodes, where people were covered with bruises from too scary nightmares, and other creepy ghost shenanigans. They even called back to a couple old episodes of the original series.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I was disappointed that there wasn't any follow-up on Kylie mentioning she wants to gain a few pounds. For uh, reasons. >_>
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Kylie is the only one of the team to appear in spin off.