Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Paul Walker
Officer

Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

Post by Paul Walker »

I liked it. A fairly good opening episode, but not everything worked for me.

Don't like the theme music at all - in fact that's probably my biggest grumble so far.

Roll on week 2 :)
Last edited by Paul Walker on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Fixer »

Managed to catch the first episode in my lunchbreak today.

I wasn't impressed. The characters didn't seem particularly engaging or well presented, though the CG was impressive for a TV show 90% of everything was at a dutch angle and I was getting Battlefield Earth flashbacks.

I'll check out the second episode later tonight but I'm not get any real Trek vibe from this show.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Well I like that they firmly rejected the "no interpersonal conflict" rule and how the Klingons are not entirely unsympathetic, especially considering the "parallels". So it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I liked it too. Just not sure I liked it well enough to sign up for a streaming service to see the rest of it.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Liked eps 1 and 2. Topped my unfairly low expectations. liked introducing a religious/geopolitical motiviation for the Klingons, a bit like the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

My never-will-happen story arc is that the Federation is portrayed like 19th century European imperialists who bribe the leaders of warp species to join the Federation (to preempt any future competition for Humans....hence the Human-dominated Starfleet).

And Klingons are the only ones who value their independence enough to push back on the expansionist, human-centric Federation. But given the way the Klingons are portrayed, something mildly like this may be shown.
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

technobabbler wrote:

My never-will-happen story arc is that the Federation is portrayed like 19th century European imperialists who bribe the leaders of warp species to join the Federation (to preempt any future competition for Humans....hence the Human-dominated Starfleet).
that sound way too cynical

I once read a fan-fic that had human/klingon go sour, because Earth backed the more democratic horse in a klingon civil war
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

I liked the first episode, save for a few hiccups. I like the main character so far and it was refreshing to see them save an alien species since they could do so without interfering with their development. I like the main character so far. I have a visceral dislike of the actor playing Sarek because he played a character I despised on Gotham but I am hoping that will fade soon. I'm going to get a free trial of the CBS All-Access (I'm at home with my mom who has terribly slow Internet so I'll probably wait until I get back). I want to see a few more episodes before I decide if it's worth the All-Access subscription. I would definitely be continuing on with it if it were on Netflix or regular television.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:I liked the first episode, save for a few hiccups. I like the main character so far and it was refreshing to see them save an alien species since they could do so without interfering with their development. I like the main character so far. I have a visceral dislike of the actor playing Sarek because he played a character I despised on Gotham but I am hoping that will fade soon. I'm going to get a free trial of the CBS All-Access (I'm at home with my mom who has terribly slow Internet so I'll probably wait until I get back). I want to see a few more episodes before I decide if it's worth the All-Access subscription. I would definitely be continuing on with it if it were on Netflix or regular television.
You bring up a very good point, that being would I continue watching the show if I didn't hafta pay for another service to watch it? From the first episode, I would say "yes." It did have some issues but, I think, it was a way better start than TNG had with Encounter at Farpoint.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

I'm ambivalent to it. I don't hate it, but I found the first two episodes 'meh' overall. I didn't find any of the characters particularly engaging so found it hard to particularly care what happened to them; for example, the ensign who got injured in the opening part of the battle and stumbled into the brig instead of sickbay, then vented into space when that part of the ship was exposed to space should have been tragic, but because there was no investment in his character his death was no different to the countless red shirts over the years that have died thirty seconds after appearing on screen.

I'm willing to give it time; after all the three TNG-era shows took time to hit their stride, so it's unfair to disregard this after just two episodes. And while the main character isn't particularly engaging, I am at least curious to see how she's going to go from being encarcerated to captaining a ship.

I'm also not a fan of the redesign of the Klingons which look like the Into Darkness Klingons that have heavily interbred with some Remans. And technology aesthetic-wise they feel more primitive to the point where if the trend continues I expect come Trek's 100th anniversary Klingon ships will run on Fred Flintson tech and to go to Warp the crew will have to put their feet through holes in the bottom hull and run really fast.

As a side note, can someone clear up for me which timeline the show is supposed to be in? I've read that it's supposed to be in the Prime timeline, but aesthetically it feels more like it belongs in the Reboot one.

FakeGeekGirl wrote:I would definitely be continuing on with it if it were on Netflix or regular television.
Move to the UK, we get it on Netflix here ;)
Yerushalmi
Redshirt

Post by Yerushalmi »

Didn't we see something very much like this in Nemesis?