Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Admiral X »

Dînadan wrote: As a side note, can someone clear up for me which timeline the show is supposed to be in? I've read that it's supposed to be in the Prime timeline, but aesthetically it feels more like it belongs in the Reboot one.
Officially it's supposed to be in the "prime" timeline, but from the changes they've made, that's impossible. Much like with the reboot movies not officially being a reboot in spite of nothing actually in the movie really being in support of any connection to the "prime" universe.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

technobabbler wrote: My never-will-happen story arc is that the Federation is portrayed like 19th century European imperialists who bribe the leaders of warp species to join the Federation (to preempt any future competition for Humans....hence the Human-dominated Starfleet).
Wouldn't mind seeing a race like the Ferengi attempt something like this to be honest.
Didn't we see something like this in Nemesis?
Don't you mean Insurrection?
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Admiral X wrote:
Dînadan wrote: As a side note, can someone clear up for me which timeline the show is supposed to be in? I've read that it's supposed to be in the Prime timeline, but aesthetically it feels more like it belongs in the Reboot one.
Officially it's supposed to be in the "prime" timeline, but from the changes they've made, that's impossible. Much like with the reboot movies not officially being a reboot in spite of nothing actually in the movie really being in support of any connection to the "prime" universe.
I read somewhere that the aesthetics were different but it was inline with Prime events. :?
Jason Hallett
Redshirt

Post by Jason Hallett »

More than a little eerie how relevant the conflict was:

"Captain, we should punch the Space Nazis."

"No, we need to not punch them, to prove we're superior."

Bad guys defined by a desire to assert ethno-nationalist dominance by making war on the idea of multiculturalism, with a conflict between hard-edged hotheads and complacent scolds on the good guy side making things worse . . . I can think of worse ways to use a Star Trek series.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Jason Hallett wrote: Bad guys defined by a desire to assert ethno-nationalist dominance by making war on the idea of multiculturalism, with a conflict between hard-edged hotheads and complacent scolds on the good guy side making things worse . . . I can think of worse ways to use a Star Trek series.
Could also argue Starfleet was being too politically correct by trying to go out of their way not to offend the Klingons.
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

GandALF wrote: Could also argue Starfleet was being too politically correct by trying to go out of their way not to offend the Klingons.
I think they are just too complacent "One size fit all" in their approach
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Dînadan wrote:As a side note, can someone clear up for me which timeline the show is supposed to be in? I've read that it's supposed to be in the Prime timeline, but aesthetically it feels more like it belongs in the Reboot one.
The 'Prime' timeline, so they don't need to worry about how the films play out.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Redem wrote:I think they are just too complacent "One size fit all" in their approach
Only in this particular situation though. There was a Klingon cultist using the Federation's standard response to conflict as a way to engineer a war.

Of course had the Federation attacked first, they could have also just gone "Look, the Federation was lying about coming in peace! See how they commit an act of war."then rallied the troops. It was really win-win.

Then afterwards you had the character that specifically told everyone not to kill the Klingon leader because it would make a martyr who'd fuel an endless war, killing the Klingon leader creating a martyr who now fuels an endless war.

Can't really argue with the Federation's poorly lit tribunal at the end.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

So, I watch this yesterday and it was okay. I mean obviously they ended it on a cliffhanger so people would have to pay for the subscription but still, it was decent. Although, my thoughts on the Klingons is WTF did they do to them?
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Fixer wrote:
Redem wrote: Then afterwards you had the character that specifically told everyone not to kill the Klingon leader because it would make a martyr who'd fuel an endless war, killing the Klingon leader creating a martyr who now fuels an endless war..
Yeah that bit really hard to defend