Rick and Morty: The Hypothesis of Contradiction

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stryke
Captain

Re: Rick and Morty: The Hypothesis of Contradiction

Post by stryke »

Rick and Morty is the one time ever that I got turned off a show by vocal parts of the fanbase and that's saying something as I survived being a pony fan from around when s1 had just finished to when the Glimmer really started taking over. I was always of the opinion that one's choice of entertainment shouldn't ever be a value judgement and certainly shouldn't be used to categorise/dismiss other's. Just because say one brony does something unfortunate with a jar then that doesn't tar and feather other's who say just think that Trixie needs more love.

Here though it just got way too much to ignore.

Made me take a good long look at the show and it was around Pickle Rick was when I checked out. The pandering to that cynical, bleak world view I can't stand just got to much for me along with the humour just getting repetitive.

There's definitely still value to be found in S1, especially the Meseeks, but that's about it.

Nostalgia Critic? No value to be found whatsoever, and I can't believe I ever found him entertaining (and I did). How anyone still consumes his content is beyond me.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

stryke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm Rick and Morty is the one time ever that I got turned off a show by vocal parts of the fanbase and that's saying something as I survived being a pony fan from around when s1 had just finished to when the Glimmer really started taking over. I was always of the opinion that one's choice of entertainment shouldn't ever be a value judgement and certainly shouldn't be used to categorise/dismiss other's. Just because say one brony does something unfortunate with a jar then that doesn't tar and feather other's who say just think that Trixie needs more love.
I wholeheartedly agree, we can enjoy what we like and say what we dislike, and still be kind and polite to each other, and it's a shame that this negative behaviour occurs in many fandoms, as one: while this behaviour can be the minority, it's also the loudest, and doesn't paint a nice picture of that fandom for others that aren't like that, or for people outside of that fandom, as far as they're concerned, that vocal negative part is the fandom; and two: the majority of the time the series, film, or whole franchise has a positive message or promotes positive thinking that is against this kind of behaviour, like with Star Trek and Steven Universe as an example.

My Little Pony especially does this, even having episodes that address negative fandom behaviour, "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" and "Fame and Misfortune" immediately come to mind, and on a side note, I find it hilarious that people were crying the death of the fandom and franchise back when Twilight became an Alicorn and the start of the Equestrian Girls spin-off, only for both to ultimately be celebrated, and the series lasting a full nine seasons and concluding on its own terms.

Also I agree, while Trixie can be... Trixie, she's an enjoyable character and I love the friendship between her and Glimmer.
stryke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm Here though it just got way too much to ignore.

Made me take a good long look at the show and it was around Pickle Rick was when I checked out. The pandering to that cynical, bleak world view I can't stand just got to much for me along with the humour just getting repetitive.

There's definitely still value to be found in S1, especially the Meseeks, but that's about it.
Agreed, Rick and Morty is a well made series, and I have no ill will to the creators or those that enjoy it, but I'm not a fan of the series cynical world view, and Rick as a character, it's just not for me.
stryke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm Nostalgia Critic? No value to be found whatsoever, and I can't believe I ever found him entertaining (and I did). How anyone still consumes his content is beyond me.
I also found him entertaining back in the day, but after the incident I stopped watching him and thinking more about it I don't miss watching him and wonder why I found him entertaining to begin with, I suppose that's growing up for you.

Plus it's great that other people have come along and showed that reviewing a piece of media can be thoughtful and insightful, showcasing an understanding of the craft and research into the history, and doesn't need to be an angry rant about how something sucks and you should feel bad for liking the thing that sucks, and laced with memes and running jokes to distract from the fact that there isn't much to the review beyond that they think something sucks.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

J!! wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:46 pm Image
Who the guy under Walter white. Scarface kinda look like Jeff Goldbloom in Jussaric park.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:58 am
Who the guy under Walter white..
I think it is Edward Norton.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:58 am
Who the guy under Walter white. Scarface kinda look like Jeff Goldbloom in Jussaric park.
One of the leads of Fight Club. The one that organized the club and the violence and made it all seem cool.

The end of the movie very, VERY clearly shows that he wasn't as cool as you thought but that seems to be missed a lot.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Sailor Moon is one other fictional character I trust to take out Rick Sanchez.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Link8909 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:12 pm I also found him entertaining back in the day, but after the incident I stopped watching him and thinking more about it I don't miss watching him and wonder why I found him entertaining to begin with, I suppose that's growing up for you.
You're entirely right.

On thinking about it more I do wonder though how much the 'parasocial relationships' angle played a part.

The mandated Channel Awesome crossovers pushed a certain atmosphere hard, both with the films, and the more regular reviews, and I suspect did a lot to draw in those who weren't doing so well socially at the time.

Looking back it's probably not a coincidence that I did so much of my binge watching of the Channel Awesome content when I was seriously lonely. Could well have played a strong part as to why this seemingly supportive, all in it together mateyness was so appealing. Probably a reason why it was so damaging to discover just how artificial it was, along how much nastyness and exploitation that it was covering over.

Was quite clever/fiendish really, and you can see others still working similar angles to this day with youtube and twitch by pushing things like having a collective name for your fanbase, using repeated meme phrases like you mentioned, and a bunch of other similar strategies.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

stryke wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm
Link8909 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:12 pm I also found him entertaining back in the day, but after the incident I stopped watching him and thinking more about it I don't miss watching him and wonder why I found him entertaining to begin with, I suppose that's growing up for you.
You're entirely right.

On thinking about it more I do wonder though how much the 'parasocial relationships' angle played a part.

The mandated Channel Awesome crossovers pushed a certain atmosphere hard, both with the films, and the more regular reviews, and I suspect did a lot to draw in those who weren't doing so well socially at the time.

Looking back it's probably not a coincidence that I did so much of my binge watching of the Channel Awesome content when I was seriously lonely. Could well have played a strong part as to why this seemingly supportive, all in it together mateyness was so appealing. Probably a reason why it was so damaging to discover just how artificial it was, along how much nastyness and exploitation that it was covering over.

Was quite clever/fiendish really, and you can see others still working similar angles to this day with youtube and twitch by pushing things like having a collective name for your fanbase, using repeated meme phrases like you mentioned, and a bunch of other similar strategies.
In hindsight almost everyone Doug work on was more talented or able to sue their talents than him.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:59 pm
stryke wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm You're entirely right.

In hindsight almost everyone Doug work on was more talented or able to sue their talents than him.
And to be fair, MOST of the relationships and friendships WERE true and real. Most of us are still friends and do stuff together today. The artificiality was that we were all happy with the creative choices being made or even the business ones that WOULD affect us that they never bothered to ask us about.