Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:01 pmAnd on a side note, the 26th century had the Battle of Procyon V, where the Federation and Xindi (with the USS Enterprise-J) defeat the invasion of the Sphere-Builders, and force them back into their own trans-dimensional realm, and in Star Trek Online (while being beta-material) had the Terran Empire (lead by Empress Leeta (yes that Leeta, it's time-travel shenanigans)) allied with the Sphere-Builders.

Also on a side note, I'm a dork.
First - we're all dorks. We're posting about the finer details of Star Trek, and fretting over the details. You're in good company.

I've played STO also. I personally think the Romulan intro quest line is friggin' amazing, and the open world of New Romulus/Dewa III was pretty neat too. The Discovery missions had an awful framing device, but the content itself was pretty decent!

Unfortunately, STO is ran by Perfect World Entertainment, and as a result over the years has devolved into merely being a way to separate nerds from their money. The Dominion "expansion" was an embarassment, in particular. The fact that the paid T6 starships are objectively better than everything else helped kill PvP, the economy is outright broken...

In my opinion, of all the MMOs I've played, the brutal truth is that STO has taken the dubious honor of being "the worst 'AAA' MMO on the market." It has so many great and wonderful points, but they're all corrupted by free-to-play BS...exactly as some early members of the community predicted as soon as PWE took over the game.

I also think the crate system is particularly abusive - the game peppers you with crates, which you can open...if only you're willing to throw down some real money. There's no public odds of what you'll win, so it's literally gambling. If I wanted to play slots, I'd go to Vegas, not play a Star Trek game.
I see what you mean, for me personally, the appeal of Star Trek Online is the ability to create your dream Star Trek crew and ship, and the overall stories are entertaining if not outright fantastic additions to the franchise, the Roman player arc as you mentioned in particular is absolutely great, and the episodes that came with the Dominion Expansion was fantastic.

However it's hard to argue that the crate and key system isn't gambling, because it is, but its also the big reason that keeps the game afloat and all the good stuff that comes with it, so I see why people wouldn't want to support this business practise, yet others would, personally most of the items from these crates haven't interested me so I've had no reason to spend money on them, plus because of my Lifetime Subscription I've had from when the game launched (with the 500 Zen Coins a month) and the daily grind missions and the large dilithium payout, I've made over £70 in in-game money over the last six or so months.

And going back to Star Trek Discovery, I'd imagine like with the season one starships, well be seeing the new 32nd century Starfleet ships making their way over to Star Trek Online as well.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Link8909 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 amAnd going back to Star Trek Discovery, I'd imagine like with the season one starships, well be seeing the new 32nd century Starfleet ships making their way over to Star Trek Online as well.
That was one thing I liked about the Agents of Yesterday expansion - the concept of the Temporal starships that could basically disguise themselves as older models of starship was awesome. I don't see how they wouldn't expand that.

Interestingly, in the recently past 25th anniversary celebration, there were some new T6 skins released for certain starships, including the NX class's "Columbia-class" refit, which imagined that ship with a TMP-era look. That is a really cool skin - I'd love to see Temporal versions of the future ships like the Eisenberg class be able to disguise themselves in a TMP era style
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Link8909 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 amAnd going back to Star Trek Discovery, I'd imagine like with the season one starships, well be seeing the new 32nd century Starfleet ships making their way over to Star Trek Online as well.
That was one thing I liked about the Agents of Yesterday expansion - the concept of the Temporal starships that could basically disguise themselves as older models of starship was awesome. I don't see how they wouldn't expand that.

Interestingly, in the recently past 25th anniversary celebration, there were some new T6 skins released for certain starships, including the NX class's "Columbia-class" refit, which imagined that ship with a TMP-era look. That is a really cool skin - I'd love to see Temporal versions of the future ships like the Eisenberg class be able to disguise themselves in a TMP era style
Agreed, the team that designs and creates the starships, both from the franchise and originals, really go above and beyond to bringing them to life, I look forward to seeing how they bring the new 32nd century ships into the game, perhaps they have a second skin that is a 25th century (or older as you say) precursor to the those designs.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

So, hooray, the find Starfleet.

It's a nice touch having Starfleet not be exactly what they were expecting. And we get to see crazy murderhobo Mikey again: as soon as she hears and order she does not like she is ready to go rogue.

And really this episode just comes out and says it "Saru you are a horrible person, character and captain....you go sit in the corner: All Hail Captain Empress Rogue Michele! ".

And..um...the crew members talk to each other and the 32nd lady is like "you guys speak?" And everyone is all like "Yup, we are lovably oddball weird-o's that are super awesome cool". The thing is, the show has done NOTHING to ever earn this. When has the "crew" even worked together, let alone been fun and wacky? Like remember how they all sat around and did NOTHING while Michile saved the universe several times?

Um...a Coronal Mass Ejection puts the guy out of phase? Very lame and lazy, guess someone just Goggled "coolz astronomy words". They could not even bother with "sub space inversion flow".

And so....really....no one in the whole 32nd century Starfleet could figure out the whole seed ship thing? Well, good thing Michilae was there to save the day again.

But...um...why does Starfleet even have a seed ship? Um...by the 24th century everything was stored in the computers. Replicators can then make that item. So they could just replicate the special seeds.

And why is the seed ship a tiny little "pod" ? You think it would look a bit more like a ship? And why does it not have a crew? And is there some reason they don't bring the ship back?

And, so, guess all Starfleet will have mushroom drives?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Zargon wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:38 am So, hooray, the find Starfleet.

It's a nice touch having Starfleet not be exactly what they were expecting. And we get to see crazy murderhobo Mikey again: as soon as she hears and order she does not like she is ready to go rogue.

And really this episode just comes out and says it "Saru you are a horrible person, character and captain....you go sit in the corner: All Hail Captain Empress Rogue Michele! ".

And..um...the crew members talk to each other and the 32nd lady is like "you guys speak?" And everyone is all like "Yup, we are lovably oddball weird-o's that are super awesome cool". The thing is, the show has done NOTHING to ever earn this. When has the "crew" even worked together, let alone been fun and wacky? Like remember how they all sat around and did NOTHING while Michile saved the universe several times?

Um...a Coronal Mass Ejection puts the guy out of phase? Very lame and lazy, guess someone just Goggled "coolz astronomy words". They could not even bother with "sub space inversion flow".

And so....really....no one in the whole 32nd century Starfleet could figure out the whole seed ship thing? Well, good thing Michilae was there to save the day again.

But...um...why does Starfleet even have a seed ship? Um...by the 24th century everything was stored in the computers. Replicators can then make that item. So they could just replicate the special seeds.

And why is the seed ship a tiny little "pod" ? You think it would look a bit more like a ship? And why does it not have a crew? And is there some reason they don't bring the ship back?

And, so, guess all Starfleet will have mushroom drives?
Its funny because every captain in the main shows has been disobedient to some degree, but normally they did so because the alternative was often a crime against common sense and was the last resort. Mikey does this as her first option. And I think that is the defence against the ''well, the MALE captains did the same thing and you weren't complaining then'' - except they didn't, did they? Picard took the Enterprise-E into battle in First Contact because the Earth was about to be assimilated, Kirk went to rescue Spock in ''Search for Spock'' because the alternative was a torturous death for his two closest friends etc.

I wish they came up with something better, but I am ready for Star Trek to explore the rest of the universe with their stupid-speed drive. There shouldn't be any Milky Way left to explore and yet they still find thousand light year spanning empires never before seen. We know Andromeda is inhabited from TOS.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:19 am Its funny because every captain in the main shows has been disobedient to some degree, but normally they did so because the alternative was often a crime against common sense and was the last resort. Mikey does this as her first option. And I think that is the defence against the ''well, the MALE captains did the same thing and you weren't complaining then'' - except they didn't, did they? Picard took the Enterprise-E into battle in First Contact because the Earth was about to be assimilated, Kirk went to rescue Spock in ''Search for Spock'' because the alternative was a torturous death for his two closest friends etc.
Michael Burnham suggested going behind Admiral Vance so they could find where the Kili picked up the infectious protein, so they can cure them as well as prove that they are who they are, and can be of better service to this new Federation, in short, ignoring the bureaucracy of Starfleet so they can, you know... save lives... do the right thing... like so many other Starfleet Officers have done in the past that you brought up.

I don't even get the issue, she suggested breaking protocol, Captain Saru tells her no as he wants to build trust, and she admits she's wrong and they go through the proper channels, the reason for this scene was to show that Michael is still adjusting to protocol after a year away from it and is used to just getting things done, but she is getting there as she backed down and listened to reason, which allowed her to effectively take command of Discovery.

- Jean-Luc Picard
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think it's an interesting but not necessarily bad choice that Michael Burnham spent a year with Book and went complete Han Solo.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:08 pm I think it's an interesting but not necessarily bad choice that Michael Burnham spent a year with Book and went complete Han Solo.
Indeed, while I personally was okay with Michael Burnham to begin with, I do like this new direction as it gives her a personal story arc, rather than an event driven one.

I like that when she arrives in this new era, she and the audience quickly learn that her normal approach to situations (example: her trusting Book, only for him to trick her and steal her equipment) won't work in this new environment, and over the course of a year adapted to survive, thus things like protocol are abandoned in favor of as Asvarduil put it, the Burnham Fastball SpecialTM.

However now that she's back on Discovery, she now has to relearn those protocols, as her pure maverick approach can cause more harm than good in the long run, and eventually become a better person by the end.

- Jean-Luc Picard
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Does anybody know how Discovery is doing in overall viewership?

Last I heard, Season 2 did really well in the streaming department.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discov ... ming-show/
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BBally81 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 am Does anybody know how Discovery is doing in overall viewership?

Last I heard, Season 2 did really well in the streaming department.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discov ... ming-show/
I'm not to sure myself either, and when searching I can't get a straight answer.

However with season four already in production, it's a safe bet that Star Trek Discovery is doing well enough with viewership to invest money into continuing the series, good news for me because I'm personally enjoying the series so far and looking forward to more in the future.

- Jean-Luc Picard