Wrath of Khan discussion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Wrath of Khan discussion

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Same thing with Lucas..

That's just art as a democracy though.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm Same thing with Lucas..

That's just art as a democracy though.
True.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 am That's a neat distinction. I like both styles of Chuck and I'm subscribed to both channels anyway so having straight analysis and history vids on one and jokey copyright daring vids on the other makes sense as a strategy.
Wait, what is this about two channels? I'm subscribed to sfdebris, what is the other?!

I've noticed some cryptic remarks without explanation in recent videos about red and blue, but I thought it was about the videos... Is there somewhere this news is explained?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

The mark of a good story with good performances is that it can require such a stupid contrivance to set it off, but it's all so enjoyable you barely even notice. In this case, it's Starfleet landing on Ceti Alpha V when they meant to land on Ceti Alpha VI. How do you do that!?!
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Fianna wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 am The mark of a good story with good performances is that it can require such a stupid contrivance to set it off, but it's all so enjoyable you barely even notice. In this case, it's Starfleet landing on Ceti Alpha V when they meant to land on Ceti Alpha VI. How do you do that!?!
I'm sure planets explode regularly and leave no trace in star trek. "Hey weren't there 9 planets in this solar system last time?" "Yeah but one of them must have been reclassified as a dwarf planet so that's probably why you're not seeing it." "Oh yeah, that makes sense"
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm
RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 am That's a neat distinction. I like both styles of Chuck and I'm subscribed to both channels anyway so having straight analysis and history vids on one and jokey copyright daring vids on the other makes sense as a strategy.
Wait, what is this about two channels? I'm subscribed to sfdebris, what is the other?!

I've noticed some cryptic remarks without explanation in recent videos about red and blue, but I thought it was about the videos... Is there somewhere this news is explained?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDB4qB ... 9v5kk3rgTQ
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

He has an alternate site where he hosts the videos that he's afraid might get the channel banned. He first made references to it in the Jurassic Park video.

Currently there's only a couple videos up on it publicly, though stuff on the site he links directly and I guess there's some filter for invites only or something.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDB4qB ... 9v5kk3rgTQ

Blue is serious analysis using still images that are unlikely to be flagged, red is snarky full video jokey.
T-L
Redshirt

Post by T-L »

Fianna wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 am The mark of a good story with good performances is that it can require such a stupid contrivance to set it off, but it's all so enjoyable you barely even notice. In this case, it's Starfleet landing on Ceti Alpha V when they meant to land on Ceti Alpha VI. How do you do that!?!
Why are they even doing this secret work in Ceti alpha? I mean yes, to be fair its not like they expect Kahn to be able to leave the planet anytime soon, but as the expression goes, space is big. There must be other systems where you can do this, systems which does not have a dangerous man with a history of aggression against Starfleet personnel.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

T-L wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm
Why are they even doing this secret work in Ceti alpha? I mean yes, to be fair its not like they expect Kahn to be able to leave the planet anytime soon, but as the expression goes, space is big. There must be other systems where you can do this, systems which does not have a dangerous man with a history of aggression against Starfleet personnel.
I want a crack at answering the both of you.
Ceti Alpha V had its orbit altered. It is now in the band for Ceti Alpha VI. They probably do not scan everything everytime they arrive somewhere. So they arrive in system and here is the planet roughly the distance out for the one we want. After all why poke every rock in the place when it was already explored and mapped?
Now why not expect Khan? He was not noted in the logs as a measure to keep yahoos away. If Kirk had put down officially that he dropped a bunch of augments on a world to serve as a penal colony then there would be officials and transports and Khan would figure out how to escape. Keep him off the books and he is stranded. And even Chekov simply forgot. (Yes I know he was not in the cast yet)
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

T-L wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm
I got the impression that the Ceti Alpha system was pretty far down the checklist by the time they'd got to it too, just based on the reactions of the crew when they discover the blip in the system that is the Botany Bay, that they'd been at this a while. Plus, space is big but depending on how strict the criteria is then the number of candidate worlds could be pretty small even to start with.