Sfdebris fallout 3

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Robovski
Captain

Re: Sfdebris fallout 3

Post by Robovski »

Looking forward to it in February.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Robovski wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:27 pm Looking forward to it in February.
Me too, Robovski.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

This is one i'm looking forward to as Fallout 3 is clearly one of Chuck's favourite games as it gets a cameo mention in many of his older reviews. Its definitely in Encounter At Farpoint.

As for the game itself, my opinion of Fallout 3 is ''it did what it needed to do.'' After all, this game could have been a catastrophic failure. I can't think of many other franchises that managed to so radically update itself for a modern audience to the point that it has kept fans old and new alike mostly happy. Fallout 1 and 2 are not the same games as what came after but they feel as if they slot neatly into the same universe. The only other series I can think of that has pulled this off is Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid.

Despite being a broken mess of a game in many respects - everyone eventually learns the hard way to save often after getting stuck behind an object or the game failing to get past a loading screen - it is fun, there is plenty to do, and there are lots of neat little touches that you often do not notice on one playthrough alone. I would recommend ''Why Fallout 3 Is Better Than You Think'' by ManyATrueNerd over on Youtube for a good delve into this.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

As Chuck noted, the game is mostly great for all the exploration and little miniquests, not really the main narrative of finding your dad. So, either he dedicates a lot of time to all of the sidequests and their potential ways of going, and spins a narrative out of that, or the review is shorter due to following only the main quest and whatever side quests touch that.

Either way, should be fun.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I have tried to play Fallout 3 so many times and I always stahl out on the main quest.
The narrative just does not have the thrust I was looking for.
And good lord the aiming in that game is so shitty that without VATS it nears unplayable (as all the enemies scoot and slide around so randomly that it a clay duck game at the circus seems fair by comparison). And don't get me started on how all the guns seem to be made out of graham crackers held together with chewing gum and hope.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Sweet. I was the one who requested this.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

"No one comes in, no one goes out."

Overlooking the Overseer's hypocrisy and duplicity involving Butch, the Tunnel Snakes and the settlement for the moment, it's a mistake to absolutely forbid anyone from leaving. If someone's discontented with life in the relative safety of the Vault, especially if they're someone who's likely to become a troublemaker if forced to stay, the smart thing to do is tell them, "The exit's that way if you're in that much of a hurry to leave, just do the rest of us a favor and don't let the radiation in on your way out."

If they're so foolish as to think the charmed life of a Vault Dweller has in any way prepared them for the harsh realities of surviving in a post-nuclear wasteland, then the gene pool is better off without them; let them go and see how things work out for them.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 am "No one comes in, no one goes out."

Overlooking the Overseer's hypocrisy and duplicity involving Butch, the Tunnel Snakes and the settlement for the moment, it's a mistake to absolutely forbid anyone from leaving. If someone's discontented with life in the relative safety of the Vault, especially if they're someone who's likely to become a troublemaker if forced to stay, the smart thing to do is tell them, "The exit's that way if you're in that much of a hurry to leave, just do the rest of us a favor and don't let the radiation in on your way out."

If they're so foolish as to think the charmed life of a Vault Dweller has in any way prepared them for the harsh realities of surviving in a post-nuclear wasteland, then the gene pool is better off without them; let them go and see how things work out for them.
Honestly, I don't think that's really a very good option as the Vault is not going to be able to handle much loss of genetic diversity. In fact, with a starting population of 1000 people and not much room to grow, you have to be very careful with the breeding inside the place.

In fact, one of the things I talked about when this game first came out was the fact that killing all of those Vault Security officials on your way out (and the fact THEY killed their only Doctor as well as attempted to kill you), they've royally fucked themselves.

Thankfully, or not, they've gotten to the position that they can finally open up the Vault and defy Vault-Tec's insane orders.*

James also dramatically misread the Overseer's reaction to his departure. A note would have possibly changed things but given James couldn't have known the Enclave have started knocking on their door (literally), he has no reason to believe the Oversee thinks he's planning to betray the Vault's secrets. Still, it would have been a much more different situation if James had taught you to replace him--then maybe they wouldn't have tried to have you killed. Then again, the Overseer is a bigot against outsiders as a tribal community might tend to be.**

* The caveat being that keeping the Vault forever closed is actually just reasonable until the BOS takes over the region because the Capital Wasteland is the arguable worst part of the country. Even worse, the rest of the United States has entered a Dark Age that they didn't bounce back nearly as fast from as so many gamers seem to think the people of the world should have.

** I like the retcon that James and his wife were from Vault 21. It makes the Overseer's bigotry even more inexplicable since they're other Vault Dwellers and among the few non-savage non-mutants in the Wasteland (you'd think the Enclave would be a bit more Vault-nice themselves but they're American Nazis so who cares what they think).
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:04 am
PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 am "No one comes in, no one goes out."

Honestly, I don't think that's really a very good option as the Vault is not going to be able to handle much loss of genetic diversity. In fact, with a starting population of 1000 people and not much room to grow, you have to be very careful with the breeding inside the place.
And if someone's such a a flaming idiot that they to want to leave the Vault without knowing for sure what condition the outside world is in, will keeping them around really be that good for the gene pool? If they start making trouble after being forced to stay, you'll just end up having to order their execution anyway. Let them go to Burger King and have it their way.