Upcoming Films

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by PerrySimm »

One film that I actually am looking forward to is The Disaster Artist. Even if it's shlocky like The Interview it'll be worth a laugh, at least. The reviews coming out of TIFF are oddly positive, too.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Dear Dionysus, I want to see IT. ;-;
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Most immediately I'm looking forward to the new Kingsman movie - caught the first one recently and it was a very enjoyable spy film romp like an old Bond film (which the Bond films haven't been for like 20 years). I'll have to probably wait a few weeks to catch it with the GF though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fvqnGmr9S8
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I really should know better, but... I'm starting to kind of look forward to Tomb Raider.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

I'm not particularly looking forward to any movie on the upcoming schedule. Yeah, I'll see some of them when they get here, but without any current anticipation or hype. Granted, that's mostly because I work at a theater and can see whatever I want for free, so it's less a budget decision and more a "Am I bored enough today?" one.

Still, one thing that stands out is next month's My Little Pony: The Movie. Chuck already reviewed episodes, so it totally counts for this thread. I doubt I'll actually watch it, but interested to see how it does.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Oh gremplork I would love to see MLP The Movie too. ;-; The trailers look GREAT. Unlikely that I'll be able to afford two movie tickets in a two-month span though. =/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MissKittyFantastico wrote:I really should know better, but... I'm starting to kind of look forward to Tomb Raider.
I trsut the director if he was given a decent budget and creative freedom.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

The hype is real for Blade Runner 2049. Reviews have been great so far, it looks awesome, and Denis Villeneuve has been on quite the roll over the past few years. I expect Roger Deakins to finally, finally, be recognized with an Oscar.

Tomb Raider, I realize that the Lara Croft of the video games isn't the deepest character and previous portrayals in games or films certainly aren't sacred, but Alicia Vikander does look like the wrong actress for the part to me. Going by the trailer, I don't buy her as a spelunking action star.
The owls are not what they seem.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Oh gremplork I would love to see MLP The Movie too. ;-; The trailers look GREAT. Unlikely that I'll be able to afford two movie tickets in a two-month span though. =/
I only found out that their was going to be an MLP film on Friday*, and I'm pretty sure one of my first thoughts was to wonder about Chuck reviewing it.

Its strange- I've never watched an episode of MLP (though I have read crossover fan fic featuring it, when someone crossed it with another series I follow), but I love Chuck's reviews of it-they're some of my favourite on the site. So I'm actually more interested in the inevitable review than to the movie itself.

*When I went to see Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

Suffice to say that it is a film which very much lives up to its predecessor, being basically in the same style, with the same strengths and weaknesses. I actually think that overall, Golden Circle was probably a better film, but generally, I think that if you liked the first one, you'll probably like the second one, and if you didn't, you probably won't.