Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:33 am But why is it an inherent change that matters? If we're in this glorious post-racial future.

For that matter, why does superman have to be white when he's an allegory for the minority immigrant experience? I saw a post where somebody make a pretty good case for all Clark Kent's friends assuming he's an undocumented immigrant. (Especially because, if we want to get technical, he is.)
Unforutnately we're not in a glorious post-racial feature, we're slipping in to one where race is mattering more and more.

For the point of view of that story it doesn't matter what Superman's physical characteristics are, but there are certain aspects of him that as well-known - the outfit, being called Clark Kent, works at the Daily Planet - and yes, he's got white skin and black hair. That's just what the character is. How many of those can you change and still really have the same character? When does it start to make more sense just to create a new character? (like when does it make more sense to start a new franchise to tell the sort of story you want instead of grabbing an existing one and making it in to something completely different - DISCO S1 I'm looking at you?
Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I feel like Superman's progressive potential is burning a whole in his pocket considering the Jewish culture isn't really exclusive to white skin anyway. Fuzzy's right there because imo he's a horseshoe character between a white simple farm boy and a person with a complex history and culture in a broad new land.

There is a bit of nostalgia anchoring the character to that prior condition. It is an American Liberty story, and not a progressive equality of outcome story. But I'd say there's room in there to texture the character. And really I'd personally tailor it not to stretch the hartfull while being palletably interesting and engaging in a common ground.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:39 pm Why are you getting so hung up on race? It's not that important. We're all just people.
Why am I?!
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:36 pm And you think casting white people is never politically motivated or part of an agenda? That's the problem. You see majority as default and everything else as an intrusion that needs to justify itself.
I don't think any of that, and you've got no grounds for assuming that I do.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

What is DSWST?
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I think Disney Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:05 pm I think Disney Star Wars Sequel Trilogy.
Thank you.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 am If that's the sort of language you resort to towards people you disagree with you're the one who needs to get over it.
They're just words, you prude.

But seriously, that language also serves a purpose: To show my utter disrespect towards people I don't like and have no interest in getting along with. Like how Crimson or Dragon Ball Fan tries to discuss with me, and I just tell them to fuck off or whatever. I used to do that with Slash Gallagher in this forum before he disappeared into oblivion (thank god).
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 am If that's the sort of language you resort to towards people you disagree with you're the one who needs to get over it.
They're just words, you prude.

But seriously, that language also serves a purpose: To show my utter disrespect towards people I don't like and have no interest in getting along with. Like how Crimson or Dragon Ball Fan tries to discuss with me, and I just tell them to fuck off or whatever. I used to do that with Slash Gallagher in this forum before he disappeared into oblivion.
Yes but if you have to resort to cursing to defend your point, do you have a good stance to begin with?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:48 pmNow Batman is another story. I think the fact he comes from Old Money is integral to his character, and Gotham being not!New York, Old Money means white. Making him anything else has a lot of cascading changes to the core of how the character functions that, while probably really good stories, would make him hard to recognize as the same character rather than a new character inspired by Batman.
Marvel's Nighthawk is already an example of how to do it in SUPREME POWER. This version of Batman being the son of extremely rich black Americans, only his parents are killed by random street thugs only for the police to not care (because they're black). So Batman/Nighthawk suits up because he believes the police are useless for black Americans.

It oddly works fine, though Supreme Power treated him badly and seemed to think we wouldn't get the racial aspect without him saying it every.other.sentence.